Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diabetes

• 30-09-2003 8:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

anyone else got diabetes ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Not me, but roughly 20% of all my relations have it. I like statistics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

No., and it seems no one here does either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Diabetes is a lot more common then people think. Many people actucully have diabetes but just dont know it. The noticible symptons are: lack of energy, tiredness, excessive thirst, frequent passing of urine, weight loss, blurring of vision and recurrent infection.

To get checked out for diabetes all you need to do is visit your local doctor and he will give you the test. It takes a matter of seconds.

For more information on diabetes, visit the Diabetes Federation of Ireland on: www.diabetes.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My niece (9) does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

To get checked out for diabetes all you need to do is visit your local doctor and he will give you the test. It takes a matter of seconds.

Actually this is untrue.
    To check for diabetes a doctor checks a fasting (8-12 hours) blood sugar. If it is high then he will do a Glucose Tolerance Test. In this test you will drink and orange flavored sugary drink, and your sugar will be checked every hour and so will your urine for the excretion of glucose in it. These tests go from 3 hours in pregnant women(gestational diabetes) and 5 hours for the normal one. The values are calculated and resulted to the doctor and he then looks for the rise in glucose and the fall of the glucose. Theses rises and fallings are what will diagnose you for hyper or hypoglucose....

Hope its not to technical to understand...

I don't have it but a few family members do. I've never been checked but have never displayed any of the symptoms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I am Wook and a veteran at this stage...oh no your not going to ask me a load of techy medical questions are you?! :eek:

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

My mother has diabetes, but as far as I know I'm alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Theres a pi.ss test where they dip a lil stick thing in a sample of your urine. If theres excess ketones in it or sugar they would have a good idea you are one.

This is the simple test that they use in most medical exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I am. Type one for 8 years now.

And I know there may be other people reading this who havn't posted, so I would like to try to get other peoples feelings on this. Isn't it a pain the Arse? 8 years on I'm still finding it very hard to deal with. I'm constantly thinking about heart attacks, and strokes and loosing limbs and stuff. But yet, I still find it hard to motivate myself into taking better control. I mean, I take my insulin twice a day, but hardly ever check my bloods and eat whatever I want. I'm in the crap, really, amn't I? But I don't want to go to my doctor and say "I've fallen, and I want to start again" ...ARRGGHH! Its really inconvieniant as well, I hate having to eat when I'm not hungry.

whooah. Sorry. I know it could be worse, and I thank God every day that its not cancer or whatever, but the point has to be made. None of my family or friends or workmates have it, so why me?

Booooo.
    Caimin

Advertisement