Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do ?

• 30-09-2003 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭

Working for the same company for almost nine years . I started off as a general op but having been working in an admin position for 3 years now.

When I applied for the admin position I was asked how much I would expect . Because I wanted to progress (Slightly) I said I'd be happy to stay on what I was on (Big mistake I know).

Now I've been trying to get a pay rise for the last 6 months , something better than the annual sh1te , 2-4% and my manager keeps telling me that HR will not justify a pay rise without qualifications , this I know to be bull .

If I was valued I wouldn't have a problem . With the way things are going these days I very mucg against leaving here , 9 years service , even on crap money = a nice amount .

It's tough at the top but it's a hell of alot tougher at the bottom.

What would you expect from 9 years service and 3 of those at admin work ? More importantly what would you do ?

BTW I'm admin in a finance group , working behind the scenes of an e-commerce site .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

The only way to get a decent rise is to go somewhere else unfortunately. I'm gonna have to do the same soon myself. It's a crappy situation but that's just the way things seem to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

The only way to get a decent rise is to go somewhere else unfortunately.

I realise that alright Ignatius but recently I've managed to brainwash myself into thinking "Hmmm working here is like having a saving policy that will bear fruit someday (Redundancy) "

I know it's a terrible way of thinking but it's what this place has done to me and quite a few more peolpe too I might add.

Because i've been making crap money for so long the thought of leaving this place and turning my back on any future redundancy is just too much.

Money wasn't really too big an issue when i was younger but now I wanna start doing the things everyone eventually gets round to doing , buying or building a home and posssibly settling down .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i used to think that.
    i thought, hey, i will stay here on crap money and learn my trade and get certified, and become a valued member of the team and all that good stuff.

but i left. and in leaving i got paid better, and i got a promotion, and in euro terms, my pay has gone up by 18000 euro.

or, you could stay there and be miserable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i used to think that.
    i thought, hey, i will stay here on crap money and learn my trade and get certified, and become a valued member of the team and all that good stuff.

but i left. and in leaving i got paid better, and i got a promotion, and in euro terms, my pay has gone up by 18000 euro.

or, you could stay there and be miserable.

Its always about the dollah billls baby ;)

To be honest where you you be happiest....i know for afact i couldn't live my life on crap money so i'd be gone like a bullet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭jamesd

Get qualified while you are there, Do the A+,Network + and then become a MCP by doing the Win 2K exam and then you'll have a better chance of getting a rise or a new job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I don't have any long term interest in either Finance , Programming or E-Commerce.

My future lies in something more manual I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Well its not an easy job market out there at the moment. So my advice would be to keep your current job, but see at as a means to support your "future" what ever that is. Its a stable patform that will allow you to do other things. If you are thinking of a house your length of service will be a great help in getting a mortgage. Whereas if you are only in a new job you will find it much harder to get one, if you can get one. However ultimately if you want to progress in your current job you'll have to up a gear and work your butt off to cast off any pre existing pigoen hole you're in. Though in my experience once your start being looked over in a company, your fate is sealed. Its very hard to change peoples opinions of you. Best option is to jump ship. It the only way to get ahead quickly. But be warned it also requires a lot of extra work and you may have to take a step back money wise, and theres always the possibility that you might not like the new job too and it could be worse than your old place.

Nine years in one company is a long time, and its a big adjustment to move to a new place. Its also a gamble. For some it works out for others it doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

LOL you looking at this wrong way ,i guess its a largish company if they have HR and they giving you the qualifications crap.
    Well i bet they offer some sort of discount of pay full amount for any course you do that will help in your area.

Take advantage of it,go to www.fas.ie anmd do 1 or 2 courses get them to pay (usually you have to complete the course whilst being employed by them or they pay half up front and other half when you finish it) do the course get the qualification if they dont give you more money then leave with a nice addition to your CV.

They cant refuse you a training allowance if they anyway big (50 employees or more).

kdjac

Advertisement