Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S-Video TV out cable for laptop

• 30-09-2003 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭

I have one of these cables for my machine which I heard is supposed to link up with the TV and you can watch DVD's on TV then. I tried it but it doesn;t work. Duno what I'm doing wrong. I got it with the laptop so there is no instruction manual.

Anyone else have one of these? If so what exactly do I need to do to connect them properly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

Have you configured your settings to work with another screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Sometimes the graphics card needs to be set up to send a signal out throught the S-Video connection. You should be able to set it up by
    1. Right-click on the desktop and go to Properties, this should bring up the Display Properties
    2. Go to the Setting tab, and the click on Advanced Settings.
    3. I can't remember this exactly but go throught the tabs and you should find one that allows you to enable/disable an external display.

Once this is done it should work fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I'm presuming that there is a cable physically connected between the laptop and the TV and the TV is set to its S-Video in channel? You can verify that the TV is working on this OK by plugging something else in there, like a DVD player.

If it is working OK, go to Control Panel > Display Properties > Settings. Do you see a second monitor here? If so, right click and 'enable'. Otherwise click on the Advanced button and look around there for something to do with turning the TV on, what exactly this is will depend on your graphics card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭nellieswellies

Plug it in and try and hit alt +F5, are you using an s-video to scart connector make sure the switch is sending the signal to the telly not the other way round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 elsoldemayo

One other problem (cause I found out the hard way) is your TV's highest refresh frequency amy not be fast enough. My laptop has a lowest refresh frequency of 75hz (right click desktop - properties - setting tab - click advanced - monitor settings tab), but my TV can only handle 60hz.
    Not sure if there is a way around this problem, I couldn't work it out anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

Right I got it working in the end. The only problem is that the audio does not output from the TV but from the laptop even though the audion cable is connected. Is there a setting I should change to get this working?
    Thanx

Advertisement