Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand bike or brand new?

Options
  • 30-09-2003 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭

Question in subject...

Am contemplating whether or not i should get a new bike or a second hand one?...

hmmm...

Thanks!
    Andy ]:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

if it's your first, get a second hand one.. You'll drop it at least once and dropping a lovely new shiny bike is a balls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 743 ✭✭✭UbahOne

The whole appeal of road side service and one years free AA with planetfun.org is really tempting though...and the gear as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

well yeah... roadside assistance would be handy. It's bloody awful when you get a puncture in the middle of nowhere and the thought "ohh jaysus I havent got a spare wheel like all those car drivers" flashes across your mind.

Carole nash offer free roadside assistance with all their premiums if I remember correctly. But then again, you'll want to be over or around 25 to go ringing them

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

my brother is selling his bike a Kawasaki 7R 750 if your interested?

I'll get him to post a reply.

off topic and no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 973 ✭✭✭Gmodified

roadside assistance - you get this with Carole nash with your policy. So not really big deal. Is it worth giving away the money to planetfun? Check the insurance before you buy anything

Originally posted by UbahOne
    off topic and no.

Question in subject...

Am contemplating whether or not i should get a new bike or a second hand one?...

hmmm...

Thanks!
    Andy ]

Fair enough if your not interested, but how is it off topic?

If you're going to buy one I thought you are going to look around at bikes, I was just offering help.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

If it's your first bike dude it should under no circumstances be a new one. You may not even like biking in 3 months and you will amost certainly drop your bike at least once in your fist twelve months - everyone does - so, no, don't buy new. And I say that as the owner of a bike shop. Come and see me when you are ready for your second bike.

BTW - did you know you can buy a factory-restricted Suzuki Bandit 600 which falls into insurance grp 5 here? Great learner bike.

I think i forgot to include some important details about myself. Im only 19 and won't be able to afford insurance on anything more than 50cc. I was quoted 4,500 for a vespa et4 on hibernian direct. Crazy money.

But i appreciate the replies and helpful info, i think i have established buying a second hand bike would be better since ill more than likely drop it like a lot of you say. :)

Keep the advice coming...

Well ubahone, seems you'd be better off on a bus........

Im 26 and my insurance for this year on a CBR600FS was just €1,000. Even when I was getting my first bike an NSR 125, it was £946 my first policy was with AON, who I am with now again 3 years later after they were the cheapest offering me insurance on the CBR Carole Nash and Hibernian couldnt match it.

The place where I got my bike, where i was for a recent service told me that they hadnt then sold even a moped for 3 weeks, that the insurance was crippling everybody.

As someone who has insurance and as relatively young getting my bike I think it was an alright deal I got. But young people not being able to get insurance because they will have accidents dosent wash with me, so far I havent had an accident... but yet we still see that there are as many deaths and claims.

BTW my NSR was new and I didnt drop it...... after paying out so much on a bike you tend to look after it.

:f33r:

• Advertisement

I can imagine spending so much on a bike you would guard it with your life(well not literally of course). Insurance is a disaster. I dont even think i will bother paying out the 1,400 for the 50cc cos lets face it a 50cc is a loud peace of slow crap. And thats the price i got quoted for driving the parents 1.4l golf. So a 50 cc or a 1.4l Golf? As much as i want to get on two whells, i imagine it will probably be the Golf but i will keep looking around anyway trying to get a cheaper insurance premium.

Thanks anyway...
    :f33r:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

The difference being you don't own the Golf and there will most likely be some occasion where you can't, for whatever reason, get the Golf and then you'll wish you had your own transport, any kind of transport...

Ye i suppose but you see my point with the price of the insurance for a golf and that of a 50cc.

Any sign of it ever going down in this country?

Advertisement