Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How not to be a network admin......

• 30-09-2003 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Lads how bad is this

Service Announcements

Internet Access Problems Tuesday 30th September 4.00pm (1of2)

We are currently experiencing problems with Internet Access, this is being caused by a machine in Engineering which is using the IP address of the main college Gateway.

We are working on restoring service as a matter of priority.

Can you imagine the poor guy in engineering?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/me sniggers.

Im sure they got quite an earful :) Im sure theres a few red faces in the IT department aswell, pretty poorly set up network for that to be able to happen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Can you imagine the poor guy in engineering? [/B]

LOL big red face on him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

I remember when that used to happen in UL (students filching external IPs for external internet access before 6pm) - don't remember any moron actually using the Gateway IP though. F@ck all ITD could do about it at the time, mind you this was years ago, 95 / 96 or so. Great fun at the time. Much hilarity ensued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

the last place i used to work in was a science research institute.. pretty much an academic institution, with the usual easy-going atmosphere that most colleges enjoy. something similar to the above happened.

one department decided to set up their own "firewall", because they deemed the institute network wasn't safe. this "firewall" was a sun solaris box misconfigured to listen to ALL ip addresses on the institute. any request coming in to port 80 (web) to any ip address was likely to be picked up by this host, and instead of seeing the institute web pages, or webmail, or directory of employees, you got the department's home page, with a photo of the guy who did it, smiling at you.

we found him walking along a hallway, oblivious to what was happening, and people everywhere asking him questions like "hey, what is your photo doing on the library pages?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I would have reconfigured the Eng Dept VLAN to dev null while they 'investigated ' the matter for me.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by hostyle
    Great fun at the time. Much hilarity ensued.
    If your first name is Lee then you were one of the feckers doing it (though come to think of it so was I).

Ah I can still remember you sending that email around in your first week that used up everyone's storage allowance. Naughty.

/me has long memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

Originally posted by hostyle
    I remember when that used to happen in UL (students filching external IPs for external internet access before 6pm) - don't remember any moron actually using the Gateway IP though. F@ck all ITD could do about it at the time, mind you this was years ago, 95 / 96 or so. Great fun at the time. Much hilarity ensued.

They r still doin it (i think we r talkin about the same thing).
    I was talkin to a fella in the library usin kazaa on his laptop and he got 250KBs dl usin a thing called microsoft internet (or firewall) client??

And i thought i was great gettin 25kbs usin a socks5 proxy!!

The best thing was he didnt have a clue what he was doin. Some fella gave him the program , he double clicked the .exe and away he went. I dont even really know what he was doin- Any ideas??

I'd love to get my hands on that!!

Advertisement