Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yaaaaaagh

• 30-09-2003 7:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Is there anybody out there like me?

When I listen to the Radio, even RTE1 all I hear is "done" and "seen" instead of "did' and "saw"..Its wreckin my head and I feel like throwing the fr****n tranny out the window.
    Im down to my last Sony

Am I a nitpickin no life turd or should I just relax and accept it,and drop my standards.

A pixilated Wm.P. Turdhed

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Hard to say. The more you're exposed to that sort of thing, the more likely that you'll adopt them yourself, and even if there's some misuses that I don't really mind other people doing, I'd really rather if there were some good examples to follow. Having said that, if it really annoys you then I'd say it's not worth the blood pressure.

My personal pet-hate is when you're using the correct definition of a word or phrase, and it results in a communication gap between you and those who have a generally accepted but incorrect meaning.

(Please don't point out my imperfect grammar, it doesn't change my point!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Billy Turdhed

Spot on eksor...my sentiments entirely...
    I was listening to Kevin Moran UCD educated on TV 3...
    Hesu! The apalling grammar!.."He dealt with it brilliant'..The last attack was broke up!
    If I had another TV Id put the size noooine thru the scrreen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Such mistakes really are not acceptable on any radio station.

I don't know why the producers, some of whom I hope are familiar with English grammar:), accept this sort of speech and I'm amazed at how people manage to get through third level education without being aware of and correcting any mistakes they make when they speak.

This isn't just important for students of English, the abilty to speak well and correctly is valuable in all walks of life!

Saying things like "I done" and so on gives makes such an extrememly bad impression IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Or that Carlsberg ad:
    "Get up them stairs" "don't be shaming me".

I tell ya what I hate tho. My pet peeve, if you will.
    People saying "I turned around" - "He turned around and said 'what' and I turned around and said..."

You get my point. I sometimes think if we could wire these people up to the mains, they would be able to generate enough electricity to power the city.

Originally posted by Billy Turdhed
    Is there anybody out there like me?

When I listen to the Radio, even RTE1 all I hear is "done" and "seen" instead of "did' and "saw"..Its wreckin my head and I feel like throwing the fr****n tranny out the window.
    Im down to my last Sony

Am I a nitpickin no life turd or should I just relax and accept it,and drop my standards.

A pixilated Wm.P. Turdhed

I'm sorry, but I had to laugh when I read this thread, because it was a a post of yours here on the personal issues board, that inspired a reply from gordon thats now part of my signature. Yet here you are complaining of the way people say things :confused:

mm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Billy Turdhed

Fair play Man

I was wonderin if someone would make the connection...

Im impressed!

However... just because one writes in a certain style on a certain board doesn't mean that one is a Viz reading turdhead who cannot turn on another style on a more cerebral issue.

Now am I right? or am I right?

WM Oliver Turdhed

Advertisement