Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WMA to MPEG

Options
  • 30-09-2003 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to streamline a couple of videos - i want them all in MPEG. Can anyone recommend an easy-to-use converter?
    I dont know anything about mpegs so i dont want to get into encoding, decoding etc, just straight conversion. Is that possible at all? (like mp3 to wave etc)

Also (and this one's embarrasing :ninja: ) is there a difference between mpg and mpeg?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Use http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html for all your converting and encoding needs!

mpg is usually the file extension i.e. movie.mpg, but the actual encoding format is called MPEG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

i'll try it out - thanx a mil.

tried it, but it wouldnt convert wmv to mpeg...
    also installed some crap called VideoXconverter, but the sound was lagging..
    any other suggestions?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

That's odd. I've used it to convert from wmv to mpeg loads of times. The only thing I can think of is you don't have the wmv codec installed or it's not installed properly. Try downloading the codecs here and see if it works:

http://w1.878.telia.com/~u87812405/wmfdist.exe

Michael you're the man!
    It worked perfectly after i installed the codec.

Thanks a lot!

• Advertisement

Michael i forgot to ask...

I'm trying to record all these MPEGs onto a CD, but the programme that i use (B's Recorder Gold) tells me that, since i'm creating a VCD, i can only add MPEG files and not MPG !!!

I didnt think there was a difference? Are they coded differently?

lol no problem. That error message doesn't make sense. First of all if you select a PAL VCD from the wizard in TMPEnc, it will create an MPEG 1 file that follows all the VCD standards so it should definately work. Secondly, mpg is mpeg as far as I know. Have you tried renaming the video file you've created from something.mpg to something.mpeg? Maybe that's the problem.

Let me know how it works out.

oh man its driving me crazy!
    The TMPEnc worked fine, i converted whatever wasnt in mpeg without a problem.
    I think it's the software. This B's Recorder works fine with mp3s and wav files, but i've never used it for mpegs..

i tried it the other way around, but i cant add MPEG after MPG or vice versa...its idiotic, i know, but it wont let me do anything with it...

Maybe i should just install something like Nero?

Originally posted by Ancient1
    Maybe i should just install something like Nero?

Definately! Nero will do it no problem, I use it all the time for VCDs and SVCDs.

I'll get Nero and give it a shot.
    Thanks for your help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Michael Collins
    Use http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html for all your converting and encoding needs!

mpg is usually the file extension i.e. movie.mpg, but the actual encoding format is called MPEG

First of all I was under the impression that it was impossible to convert .wmv to .mpg?

Second, I downloaded this encoder and the codecs but when I try to load a .wmv file it tells me it's not supported? Is there a way around this?

It is possible - worked for me!

get that codec at the start of the thread - it solved my problem.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Ancient1
    It is possible - worked for me!

get that codec at the start of the thread - it solved my problem.

I installed the codecs. The problem is when I try to load the Source video/audio into the convertor, it tells me that .wmv is not a supported file type.

i really dont know about that one....

i think Michael Collins from this thread can help you out with that, seems to know his biz.

Advertisement