Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgages to live in Northern Ireland

Options
  • 30-09-2003 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Has anyone done or heard of anyone that is from the republic and working there buying a house in Northern Ireland ? I am (obviously enough!) in Dundalk and the difference in two almost identical new houses in Dundalk and Newry is huge. Compare €300,000 against £120,000 and you will see the the attraction in living up north. I would be grateful if anyon ehas any tips or has done it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Redirected to B/E/F with link left on Accommadation.

To the best of my knowledge, there is absolutely nothing to stop you doing that if you want to.
    People are buying and getting mortgages for property in Europe all the time now and certainly also in GB.
    A Bank will have no problem with that.
    You will become resident in NI though.
    You may want to check with the revenue regarding the tax position of a non resident who is earning their income in ROI.
    There are plenty of examples in border areas and the revenue should therefore have a procedure.

If you already own a house in Dundalk , you can sell that and pay no tax on it as it is your family home.

mm

Also make sure you can get mortgage interest relief.

There is a specific EU taxation scheme for cross border workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Thanks folks.
    I just wondered why more people hadn't taken it up given the price of housing around Dublin. Dundalk to the Airport can be done in around 40 minutes so add another 10 from Newry when the motorway opens there in a few years. I too could see no reason before a girl at work told me that she couldn't when she built her house in Armagh. That was 1992 though. I suppose I should get off my ass and talk to a mortgage company!
    Thanks again.

Two things:

Currency variations

"Local" (South Armagh) "taxation"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Victor
    "Local" (South Armagh) "taxation"
    That'd be the er, unofficial taxation mandated by local interest groups, yeah?

Advertisement