Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just when I was starting to get my new pc...

• 30-09-2003 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

AMD Athlon 64 just came out. is this worth the wait? or just go with athlon xp 2800+

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

i think it will be about 1.5-2 years before normal consumers like us will start using it, and in 2 years a computer is already old, so you'll need to get a new one, and then get 64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭fatmander

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

unless you have more money than sense, or you're actively looking for aliens and actually thinking you'll find one, i'd advise you to stay away from them, until the prices drop, availability goes up, and you get reports from people who've used it for at least a few months.

there's no 64-bit windows yet, there's no 64-bit applications you can use on windows yet. i'm not sure if linux fares any better, there might be optimised compilers for athlon64.

if you buy now, you'll just wasting a few hundred euro, only to benefit from it a few months/years down the line when new software starts coming out. at that time the same hardware is likely to cost only a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

there is 64bit WinXP it's just alpha, and soon it will be available, they are already asking on MS's website if you want 32 or 64 bit drives when you are downloading

Advertisement