Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic V Lyon (includes score)

• 30-09-2003 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Well Celtic are looking good for a win 2 nil up with 5 minutes to go.

Liam Miller a young Irish Man came on and made the breakthrough.

He was only on the pitch 6 minutes before he scored, Sutton got the second

Go on the Bhoys

"Celtic have a famous win. Their Champions League campaign has life. Goals from fledgling Liam Miller and the excellent Chris Sutton, both created by Henrik Larsson, give them three points. Roll on Anderlecht."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

The first goal was the best goal I've seen scored in any game in a long time. Great possession[sp] and a brilliant turn and cross from Larsson, smashin downward header from Miller. Brilliant result, I'm chuffed to bits! :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Yeah, a great performace from the bhoys.

I really enjoyed that match tonight, brilliant quality & it sets Celtic up for saturday. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

larsson was brilliant, balde a rock as usual. team worked harder than usual and showed terrific togetherness after the penalty miss.

2-0 and were up and running. miller has to be called into the irish squad, champions league experience (2 goals) and he's starting to get a few starts in the spl. lets see him in euro 2004 (if we get there).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Originally posted by smemon
    larsson was brilliant, balde a rock as usual. team worked harder than usual and showed terrific togetherness after the penalty miss.

2-0 and were up and running. miller has to be called into the irish squad, champions league experience (2 goals) and he's starting to get a few starts in the spl. lets see him in euro 2004 (if we get there).

I couldn't put that any better if I tried. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

absolutely superb second half performance. Miller played really well for the time he was on and he is nearly guaranteed a call up to the Ireland squad after that performance if Kerr saw it. If he can play against the likes of Bayern and Lyon I'm sure he can do it against the Swizz.

I am dreading the Rangers match this weekend though. Defence is in a shambles. No Balde, Mjallby, Valgharaen or Laursen who would all be guaranteed at least a place on the bench. Balde, Mjalllby and Valgharean were always guaranteed a place last year until McNamara got his place back and Varga came in. Looks like Sutton might have to play in defence as was rumoured to happen against Bayern.

BTW Breen scored tonight for Sunderland. He seems to be settling in well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Breen also scored and OG for sunderland tonight,from what I've heard.

And it was a cracking match :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

best performance from the celts in ages, absolute quality football and a great result.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Great to see Liam Miller on the score sheet. This guy really needs to be called into the Ireland squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Excellent performance last night. Great to see Miller scoring. Another one Saturday would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

great result for a great match. Ahh.. the uefa champions league, it makes tuesday and wednesday the best days of the week!@#

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

How old is Miller??

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    How old is Miller??

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by sjones
    great result for a great match. Ahh.. the uefa champions league, it makes tuesday and wednesday the best days of the week!@#
    I couldn't agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Let's all just hope Rangers can keep the flag flying with a win tonight

Originally posted by IgnatiusJRiley

Yeah sure.;)

Originally posted by IgnatiusJRiley
    eh, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

Originally posted by eireboy
    eh, no.

Aw c'mon don't start all this AGAIN!!!

With regards to the match, it was an absolute cracker. They really played out of their skins. Good to see that every time Celtic lost the ball they immediately battled to get it back.
    And the build up to the second goal was as they say, "Top Drawer"
    One question though, how come Thompson took the peno, I thought Laarson was their spot kicker?? I remember thinking the same when I seen Thompson score from a peno over the weekend!! Can somebody enlighten me???

And as far as Miller getting the call up for Ireland. Hold your horses lads!! I know he scored a goal but at the end of the day he wasn't first choice, he did only come on as a sub into a team that was playing really well up until then. He's not suddenly the new Roy Keane.
    I'm sure that the people that are calling for Miller are the same who called for Healy who hasn't really done for Ireland as of yet.
    I'd be surprised if Kerr picks a virtually unknown for the Swiss game. But we'll see!! And before you say anything, I'm sure Kerr knows him for a youth level.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

can I ask then who da **** should be taking the celts penalties! We must miss more than any club in england or scotland :rolleyes:

We dont have anyone in the team who can slot them home? Just give them to Big Joos or someone, I remember Steve Bruce taking peno's for man long ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Originally posted by Benbaz

I'm sure that the people that are calling for Miller are the same who called for Healy who hasn't really done for Ireland as of yet.
    I'd be surprised if Kerr picks a virtually unknown for the Swiss game. But we'll see!! And before you say anything, I'm sure Kerr knows him for a youth level.

B.

Well said Benbaz!

Larssonn had missed three or four in a row so he handed the duty over to Tommo.

He has now missed four in row and has said he is handing over the responsibility to someone else.

• Advertisement

Thompson has been taking the peno's for Celtic since Larsson missed one last season. To my knowledge that was the first peno Thompson has missed so you can't start slating him yet.

Also, Healy never really got his game for Celtic and O'Neill is a good one for recognising talent so I think Miller would be worthy of a callup as O'Neill said joke that he wants to offer Miller a 35 year contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

Can only be good for Scottish football for both rangers and celtic to do well

Gowan the Gers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

Originally posted by Fwaggle
    Gowan the Gers!!

My sentiments exactly

I don't want to sound like a fool but I really couldn't care about Scottish football, its a two team league. All I want is Celtic in the English league as I find the SPL boring even if it means Celtic having to start in a lower English division. Celtic and Rangers are going to the top two teams in Scotland for years to come unless something dramatic happens so Celtic will more than likely be in the cl for many years. I'm not sure too many Man City fans would be up for United tonight but if you don't support Rangers on these boards you get slated. I was on the cm boards last night and there was an awful lot of Rangers fans hoping Lyon would beat Celtic.

C'mon the Greeks.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

I prefer to see rangers doing ok in europe, rather see a scottish team getting somewhere than anyone else

and ofcourse your gonna get supporters on either side of the divide always hoping they get beat so that comment dosent really justify anything eireboy, i know plenty of celtic fans who like to see rangers get stuffed at every opportunity (my self included up until a year or so back) but that aint gonna alter my own stance on the matter :)

edit - yes celtic played brilliantly i thought by the way, was impressed with the way the team was working together and to come back and score 2 after the penalty miss was always going to be difficult but they managed to over come that and they done me proud :)

but with no Balde/Mjallby/Laursen/valgaerren on saturday that is my main worry at the moment

C'mon the greeks

booooooooooooo

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I can't see how it makes any real difference to scottish football if they both do well , Europe is a word only used by Celts and Rangers in Scotland these days so I can't think why your average Aberdeen or Dumfermline fan would care either way ***. The only difference it really makes is the extra joy most of the celtic fans will feel is Rangers don't progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

thats the 4th or 5th thomo has missed, including the pre season USA thing...

Originally posted by growler
    I can't see how it makes any real difference to scottish football if they both do well , Europe is a word only used by Celts and Rangers in Scotland these days so I can't think why your average Aberdeen or Dumfermline fan would care either way ***. The only difference it really makes is the extra joy most of the celtic fans will feel is Rangers don't progress.
    Every country has a Uefa coefficient. The higher the coefficient, the more European places each country gets. Out of 51 countries, Scotland have currently got the highest coefficient of 2003 as Celtic have played 6 matches in the cl and won 5.
    here is the coefficients so far this year and here is the overall coefficients. I would probably like to see Scotland doing well as a whole in the coefficients but I just don't like seeing Rangers win which sounds stupid but my dislike for Rangers is heavier than my like for Scotland if you know what I mean.
    thats the 4th or 5th thomo has missed, including the pre season USA thing...
    I didn't know that. Gonna be interesting to see if he still takes them.

• Advertisement

I really couldn't care about Scottish football,
    then why support a scottish football team?

And why do you think it should be Celtic going to the English league, when Rangers are the Scottish champions? Did i miss something?

Originally posted by Fwaggle
    then why support a scottish football team?
    I know I probably amn't a real Celtic supporter because I don't care about the Scottish league but I will admit that. I always want Celtic to win but they are always going to be in the top two teams, therefore guaranteed a champions league place so that is the reason I don't care if the Scottish league gets more champions league places.
    And why do you think it should be Celtic going to the English league, when Rangers are the Scottish champions? Did i miss something?
    What has winning the Scottish league got to do with entering the English leagues?:confused: If you remember correctly, Celtic and rangers both put in bids to join the English league. After doing that the other 10 SPL teams didn't like this idea so they put in there resignation from the SPL which had to be given 2 years notice. When the old firm decided to stay in the SPL (because they had no choice) the other teams withdrew there resignation. Celtic and Rangers still both want to play in the English league but its not there choice.

If Celtic were playing Partick Thistle on TV and Chelsea/ManU/Arsenal were also been shown at the same time than I would whatch the English match because I really don't see anything in the Scottish league unless its Celtic-v-Rangers. I would want them to win but I wouldn't expect them to lose, that is why I find it so boring. Therefore I don't class myself as a true Celtic fan.

BTW this topic has gone completely off topic.:)

The row between the Old Firm and the SPL had nothing to do with joining the Premier League. It was over money.

Celtic and rangers either wanted more cash from any new TV deal or to be allowed set up their own TV channel to show their own games. The SPL didnt agree and said that as part of the SPL they must abide by their rules and take an equal portion of any deal the SPL negotiates.

It ended with the SPL securing a deal with BBC Scotland. Celtic and rangers eventually agreed to it because they didnt have much choice.

The Old Firm will never join the Premier League because UEFA will not allow it and also they are almost guaranteed Champions League football every season from the SPL.

Originally posted by bucks73
    .......The Old Firm will never join the Premier League because UEFA will not allow it....

Why???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭lili

we are waiting at you for the return leg.

<===== a lyon fan;)

Originally posted by Benbaz
    Why???

This is why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

A rather good match, but come on, Celtic must be one of the ugliest teams in Britain. Hartson, Thompson, Lennon and about four others which I cant name.

Originally posted by Caesar_Bojangle
    A rather good match, but come on, Celtic must be one of the ugliest teams in Britain. Hartson, Thompson, Lennon and about four others which I cant name.

And that's got what to do with football??? :rolleyes:

Advertisement