Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Wireless Network Advice

• 30-09-2003 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

I know nothing about these, so please excuse my apparent ignorance.

We're getting wireless broadband for the main computer, but have 2 laptops in the house and want them to be able to use it too.
    One laptop came with a wireless card, so my first question is:
    - If I bought a standard wireless pci card and put it in the desktop, could the laptop communicate with it and log on to a shared network, without a seperate 'server' and all that? I'm looking into buying a 'CNet Wireless LAN PCI 11Mbps
    WiFi 802.11b, 128-bit WEP'. I'm just worried it's not purely a case of having two computers with wireless nic cards, and there's more needed.

Secondly, I have an old computer upstairs that is plugged into a hi-fi and has a few mp3s on it - but little storage. It's a very old machine with win95, but presuming I upgrade it to WinMe (it won't take XP in a million years), could it access mp3s from the other computers in a streaming fashion?

Thirdly, would there be any conflicts/interference with a home wireless network and wireless broadband (from irishbroadband)?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

In reverse order ...

it won't interfere with IBB.

I have a really old 100Mhz Pentium that is able to distribute divXs to the other computers in the house, so I have no doubt your oldish machine will be able to stream mp3s.

If you want to get your main PC to act as a wireless accesspoint you have to get the card to run in a mode called HostAP. This definitly is supported by Linux and FreeBSD (provided the card is supported) but I have never heard of windows being able to operate as an Access Point.

If you don't want to play around with *nix you should get a wireless router which you can plug IBB into (provided you are buying the ethernet product). One with a 4 port switch combined would be good, that way to don't need to buy a wireless card for your desktop (provided it has ethernet). Komplett have one with a printserver and switch built in (asus), that is what I would be getting if I was in the market for a router :)

Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Thanks Rob,

I've read up on this more and found out it can work with just a wireless card in each. But your solution is a better option and I'll go for that.

I'm also going for the 80euro router on komplett, since I won't be needing all the extra stuff (I'll never figure it out anyway). It does have firewall though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Ok, I've gotten a little further and want to know if my ideal solution is workable:

I've ordered IBB now and have an ethernet card.
    I'm planning on purchasing a SMC Barricade Turbo Wireless Router 22 Mbps
    802.11b+, 256-bit WEP, 3-port switch ( http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&sku=115316&p=&t=1735&l=3&AvdID=1&CatID=19&GrpID=16&cks=PRL ) and plugging the modem into this, then this router into the ethernet port on my desktop.

Now what I believe will be possible is this:
    Since the modem is plugged into the router, which is plugged into the desktop, the desktop pc will be able to access the broadband connection.
    Also, since the modem is plugged into the router, and it is wireless, the laptop upstairs will be able to access the connection with a wireless card that came installed in it.

I am also believing that I will be able to access the harddrive of the laptop from the desktop pc, since there is some form of wireless connection between them and vice-versa.
    If I am very lucky, the laptop will be able to print to the printer connected to the desktop pc.

Is this all possible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

I'd say go for it, everything you are expecting should work out fine, provided you are getting the ethernet IBB product to plug into the router.

Rob

Advertisement