Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Halo PC...finally here

• 30-09-2003 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭

...And it runs like a dog.
    With the Xbox version being one of my fave games of all time I picked it up this afternoon, did the usual graphics setup that normally zips along for me in any other FPS, and it moved at maybe 5 FPS (I kid you not). The graphics are about Half-Life 1 quality and yet it runs slower than UT 2 on full quality on my machine (AMD XP 2700, Geforce ti4600, 1Gb Ram). 2 years to pretty much only port existing content and do nothing to improve it or tweak it for the PC (FFS it doesn't even run smoothly at 800x600).
    Well since I have the craving built up for days now I'm off to play it....on my Xbox, much better unfortunately

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 AcEy

I hope their is some graphical glitch because halo on x-box wasnt exactly a visual masterpiece, it was good but it was running on 640x480.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

I try'd the leaked version a while ago and it ran like a three legged dog aswell - i thought that it was because it was just a unfinished version. Btw what are the specs on the box ?

O and heres a patch for it already : http://www.gamershell.com/download_3551.shtml
    3.6MB

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it out here on friday week (10th oct) hope this slow fps is ironed out of the retail product ]:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

It's astonishing that it could run that badly. I was really looking forward to this and presumed my 2500xp radion9700 would breeze through it.

The Xbox only has 64mb of ram. It's laudable to think that a PC with a gig of it would still have trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    it out here on friday week (10th oct) hope this slow fps is ironed out of the retail product ]:)

10 days to iron it out? i cant really see that happening can you? most games are in shops about 3-5 days before they go on sale (trust me i work in a shop), which gives them roughly 7 days to fix any bugs in it. Cant see it happening. Its weird tho that it runs fine on an xbox but on a p.c thats higher spec than an xbox it plays like ****. Bad porting, i guess. Not that i would have bought it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Originally posted by BLITZ_Molloy
    It's laudable to think that a PC with a gig of it would still have trouble.

laud·a·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lôd-bl)
    adj.
    Deserving commendation; praiseworthy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,924 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like they've made a patch for it and the game isn't even out yet. Not good signs although the patch will probably sort it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It came out here (the states) yesterday and yup they had a patch ready to go (didn't make a difference). Looking at Gearbox's (the PC developer) history they've previously mainly worked on mods for existing engines (eg. Blue Shift and Opposing Forces for Half Life) looks like this was way out of their league. Checking the discussions on it at Gamespot (who unbelievably gave it a 9/10) shows it's not just my rig, much more powerful systems are crunching on it too. It's so badly programmed it'd be funny if I hadn't blown $45 on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sry dead wing i meant i hope the patch fixes most things

that's what i meant not the acutal product to have the changes made to it. :f33r:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

does it come with the latest version of directx? i just couldnt be arsed getting the latest version...and downloading 9 megs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its running ok on my machine, that is until it bluescreens on me....

I have a 3.0ghz P4 Laptop with a Radeon 9000 graphics card. Anyone have any ideas why this might be happening.. It does not happen on any other game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Maybe its a evil sceme devised by microsoft to make Halo look crap on the PC compared to the xbox version so more people will buy the black box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    laud·a·ble ( P ) Pronunciation Key (lôd-bl)
    adj.
    Deserving commendation; praiseworthy
    a·nal ( P ) Pronunciation Key (nl)
    adj.

1. Of, relating to, or near the anus.
    2. Psychology.

2. Indicating personality traits that originated during toilet training and are distinguished as anal-expulsive or anal-retentive.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Try using the -use11 command line option. It forces Halo to use Shaders V1.1 instead of 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Thanks for the pointer Lex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

I have an xp2000 512 ddr and a gf4mx and it runs fine for me,i cant really complain so it was a good "Purchase"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭lazygit

i've a 1.6P4 with 1GB PC133 Ram and a GF4800Ti

1024x768 with everything on max, and it works like a dream.

I agree tho, the graphics are ****e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

AMD 2800XP, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9700 and it runs like **** here.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

By the looks of it the graphics settings in the game dont work the "normal" way. On Radeon cards (at least) the Texture and MipMap settings in Control Panel, Display, Advanced, Direct3D Tab have to be set to Max Quality, not merely "Quality".

Otherwise the textures look pretty dire.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

Originally posted by lazygit
    i've a 1.6P4 with 1GB PC133 Ram and a GF4800Ti

1024x768 with everything on max, and it works like a dream.

I agree tho, the graphics are ****e

sounds like that 1.6ghz p4 can handle it but a amd with 2ghz can't?

Its got be mircosoft! :)

(other thing wtf is this? ===> :f33r: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by #MEAT#
    (other thing wtf is this? ===> :f33r: )

that looks like the odlum owl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Mustnt be planning on selling a lot of it ,we making it in work and the total qty is rather low compared to oither games we have done.

Strange that
    :confused:

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I keep getting this error.

"An error occured while trying to initialise direct 3d"

I'm using a gf4 ti 4200 and the 45.33 drivers. I was using an older set before this but i upgraded once i got this error. Didn't seem to have fixed it :(. I can run the game in safe mode though so what does that mean?

Anyone else getting this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Fixed it in the end. AVG was causing it to mess up.

Advertisement