Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skin complection

• 30-09-2003 10:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Any tips on how to fix up my skin , Its pretty unhealthy lookin im male AND willing to take a bath :rolleyes: its pretty messey atm eg,spots blackheads. thx ppl

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Water for a start, and lots of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

a nice green salad is supposed to be groovy for the old complexion.
    lots & lots of water...
    lay off greasy food...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Medicine to clear up to the spots (roaccutane, minicine etc.).
    Moisturiser to soften it up and make it a bit smoother.
    A decent facewash - I recommend that adidas shower gel (the blue one, not the orange one cuz that stings your face).
    More sleep to get rid of the tiredness lines.
    Smile a bit more.

After that, 'tis up to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by AcEy
    Any tips on how to fix up my skin , Its pretty unhealthy lookin im male AND willing to take a bath :rolleyes: its pretty messey atm eg,spots blackheads. thx ppl

I've been burning the midnight oil a lot the past few months and it really manifests itself in the skin. I'm 22 and i've never had more than a pimple in my life but my skin went dodgy because I was sleeping for either 5 hours a night or 12, and drinking too much coffee and not enough water. So sleep and water are definitely very important.

If yer not too embarrased about it (being a guy and all) you could try and get a facial, I recommend oxygen therapy ones, they completely cleared up my skin problem. 50 quid a pop though. And they aren't harsh like dermabrasion, which is very bad if you have acne.

Originally posted by eth0_
    If yer not too embarrased about it (being a guy and all) you could try and get a facial, I recommend oxygen therapy ones, they completely cleared up my skin problem. 50 quid a pop though. And they aren't harsh like dermabrasion, which is very bad if you have acne.
    only 50 euro???:eek:
    why not go the whole hog & get a sex change while you're at it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

tman, that was terrible. I *wasn't* thinking the same thing myself though...honestly.

Let's try to stay ON topic, shall we? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 melancolique

It's very important not to squeeze or pick at your face at all. Picking/scratching will just make it worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

water is fantastic for your skin, floods out all the toxins and impurities. Drink as much of it as you possibly can.

You don't need expensive creams or things, just make sure you wash your fash with an antibacterial wash every morning and evening. Try not to touch your face with dirty hands. Greasy hair touching your face will also cause spots.

A facial is a fantastic idea, you can get cheaper ones than 50euro and there are some places that special in mens facials. It's very relaxing and you usually get a head and shoulder massage thrown in too.

If you want to try and get rid of blackheads yourself, try holding your head over a bowl of steaming water with a towel over your head, then you should be able to squeeze em out (with clean hands and nails of course). When steamed they should come out really easily and not leave any scarring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Firstly i think you should go to the doctor {or if your quids in, the dermatoligist [excuse spelling]}. The doctor will know the best treatment and then you can work out the best way forward.I've had acne since i was about 4th class and went to the doctor a few years ago and the change is fairly dramatic! I also think that you should use a facial scrub {i use Lush's Ocean Salt coz it doesn't sting and you just feel really ..fresh.. afterwards} once a week or maybe more. Anyways best of luck! I feel your pain =)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

i have greasy skin. any help?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Heresy

Give up the smokes. you won't believe the improvement.
    If you don't smoke, there's no hope, sorry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Doctor smochter.

Save up about 120 squids and go to a dermatologist.

Chief.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I used to have pretty bad skin but then I started drinking 3-4 litres of water a day and stopped with the sugary soft drinks now I'm as clear as a sheet of glass. So like everybody else I would reccomend drinking water, and lots of it! Also lay off the salty foods ESPECIALLY crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭spooiirt!!

use clearasil. if you already tried it, use semen. seriously, it works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Was gonna start a new thread but sorta on topic, anyone done roaccutane and been off it a while? i finished almost 2 months ago and my skin is great but i still have to use lip balm....

anyone know if this is still the roaccutane effects or have my lips be come addicted to lip balm?

Original poster if you go to the docter avoid minocin at all costs i like many others wasted time and money on it and suffered side effects, roaccutane on the other hand all i got was dry lips and facial skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

try to eat at least 4 pieces fresh (preferably raw) fruit and veg a day. the vitamin a and c is essential for healthy skin

Originally posted by Creature
    I used to have pretty bad skin but then I started drinking 3-4 litres of water a day and stopped with the sugary soft drinks now I'm as clear as a sheet of glass.
    crikey, i thought 3-4 pints was "a lot"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Keep your skin clean. Exfoliate and use a moisturiser....Simple make very good skin products. Tea-tree oil is absolutely excellent for healing spots etc., although it does have a very strong smell. Don't be apprehensive about taking care of your skin just because you're male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

I have pretty skin always have. I drink lots of water and only use soap and water on my face. I try to wash off my makeup everynight but somenights I don't even do that...Trust me water is the biggest issue. Don't be fooled by facial scrub regiments....soap and water are cleansing enough...If the soap starts to dry out your skin I recommend a tiny drop of hand lotion rubbed in your fingertips and then placed on the rough spots.

Good Luck ~DR~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I can't vouch for this and honestly the idea of it grosses me out, but I saw a Horizon program a few years ago and these people were rubbing urine on their faces to clear their complexions. Even grosser, some people were even drinking their own urine for the same reasons...

These people were fairly normal, not crazy new age hippies or anything. For the science bit of it, if you look at the ingredients of Oil of Ulay or similar you will see that the main ingredient is 'Urea' (Or something spelled like that) and scientifically thats the main ingreidient of your pee! :)

I am not actually recommending you do this but its an interesting thought. Anyway they said they the best bit of your pee is 'mid-stream' :D

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Spunj
    I am not actually recommending you do this but its an interesting thought. Anyway they said they the best bit of your pee is 'mid-stream' :D
    yeah, i've heard man juice is good too...

any female boardsters want to try these theorys out with me?
    (all in the name of research of course)

gah! the lengths i go to to help people out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

A few but by no means all Olay products contain imidazolidinyl urea. It's used as a preservative and can sometimes cause contact dermatitis. As far as I know it's usually only present in small amounts and is not the main ingredient.

On the other hand many Eucerin products for dry sensitive skin contain 3-10 percent (synthetic) urea.

I've dry skin myself and found the urea containing products in this range quite irritating (it could be other ingredients, I'm not sure why).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Was gonna start a new thread but sorta on topic, anyone done roaccutane and been off it a while? i finished almost 2 months ago and my skin is great but i still have to use lip balm....
    anyone know if this is still the roaccutane effects or have my lips be come addicted to lip balm?

I've been on Roaccutane twice. Don't worry the dry lips thing will go away eventually. Just try using less and less lip balm each day, and eventually you won't need it. To the original poster, I've had acne since I was in fifth class, and I tried absolutely everything to get rid of it. Nothing worked until I went onto roaccutane, then that cleared it up. It's pretty much the strongest treatment for acne as far as I know, and has annoying side effects like drying your lips, but its really worth it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Swimming, cleans out the pores and the bleach / ozone / salt will kill the bacteria.

3-4 litres of water a day, doesn't that make u want to go pee all the time??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

I think I need to start drinking a lot more water too, I don't drink a lot at the moment... but 3-4 litres? Damn, I don't think I can handle that..
    Also, I don't really trust tapwater... is it safe to drink it in vast amounts?

It did Macseamusa, in the beginning I was leaking like a hot water bottle full of holes. But I guess my bladder has gotten used to it over time as I only go once or twice a day now.

ok ill try it. How long did it take for ur bladder to get used to it, are we talking days, weeks,months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

roaccutane if your condition is chronic.

Warning.

Will make you depressed, however, will permenantly reduce the oiliness of your skin.

Lip balm is a necessity afterward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Urea is a part of sweat and many people claim that engaging in activities that make you sweat improve the conditon of your skin. I've found my skin to be clearer anyway, after doing sweaty sports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Isn't roaccutante heavily concentrated vitamin A? vitamin A has the problem where if you take it in high doses, it builds up in your liver and can cause many problems, amongst them depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

It's a retonid... some form of synthetic Vitamin A and yes, you have to get blood tests and all that fun stuff to make sure organs aren't getting foobared.

All in a days work tbh.

Originally posted by Macseamusa
    ok ill try it. How long did it take for ur bladder to get used to it, are we talking days, weeks,months?

Ehh can't quite remember about a month sounds right though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

drink plenty of water. and cut down on fatty and sugary foods and take some vitamins. it worked alrite for me.

Advertisement