Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone watch Star Gate this week?

Options
  • 30-09-2003 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

So.. Season premiere.. Daniel Jackson is back... Who watched? What did you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Yeah it was good....they jumped right back on the horse here with no time to rest.

Did you notice that in the credits Jonas was removed and Daniel was back....the bit which shows all the characters at the start. Does this bode well for the jonas character???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

I seem to remember reading something about Jonas making an exit from the show at some stage this season but i couldve been drunk or dreaming so dont hold me to it.

well thats a shame....but its hard to pick between daniel and jonas.......but there definately ain't room for both of them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Eh, it was just Return of the Jedi for the second half. They even used the same sets almost!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by Peace
    Did you notice that in the credits Jonas was removed and Daniel was back....the bit which shows all the characters at the start. Does this bode well for the jonas character???

I did, actually its the first thing that I did notice. Which sucks. I was really starting to like the Jonas character. I'd rather they kept things the way they were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

Originally posted by feylya
    Eh, it was just Return of the Jedi for the second half. They even used the same sets almost!!!!!

LOL, yeah. I was expecting loads of cheesy star wars lines when he fired the rockets. An opportunity wasted imo :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I've seen up to Episode 8 (they're only at about 30mb an episode - very low quality) and generally like the series. The show greatly benefits from Daniel being back because we get the wonderful Danny/Jack scenes we all liked.

As to Jonas - I think it's crap the way it was handled. The actor gets his teeth into the role and gets booted off. Did you see the special the week before? When Amanda Tapping (Carter) was talking about, she eventually said that she wasn't allowed say any more on the matter. Methinks there could be bad blood now.

Oh and be forewarned in advance. RDA only agreed to do Season 7 (this one) on the condition that he got more time off to spend with his family. So basically he'll be in the stories less.

And finally: I expect we'll overtake the US again and get the world wide first showings of episodes once we get pas Episode 11 (which is where Sci-Fi Channel US took their break).

Have to say though, I did like O'Neill's line about Tealq (however you spell it) when asked was he a Go'au'uld (again, however you spell it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I saw the behind the scenes last week but only caught the last half of the season premier by pure fluke. Did i just miss it all or did SkyOne not advertise the start of the new series at all? Usually ye can't turn on sky one without seeing an advert for a new series about 4 times in 30 mins.

It was a complete rip off of Return of the Jedi though. shamelessly so.

Originally posted by ixoy

Oh and be forewarned in advance. RDA only agreed to do Season 7 (this one) on the condition that he got more time off to spend with his family. So basically he'll be in the stories less.

Whos RDA??

• Advertisement

Richard Dean Anderson

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

It was a pretty shit episode by SG1 standards really. As has been pointed out already, it was a total Star Wars rip off. I laughed out loud when they showed the generator room exploding, im not sure if they intended it to be humourous :p

i wasn't expecting much from the episode though, they were never really going to be come up with a solid premise for daniel returning. it reminded me of the season 5 opener Enemies, with its rushed storytelling, ludicrous plot devices etc. 'lets build this huge ship with a massive superweapon, and put the explosive cooling stuff on the outside of the ship! thats not fcking stupid at all!'

ive seen all but one of the first 11 episodes and the continuation of this episode is barely any better sadly. it picks up after that though, 7x03 is hilarious and 7x04 could well be the most technically impressive TV scifi i've ever seen. they are clearly making the most of their enormous budget now.

it is a fairly 'RDA/Jack-lite' season, and i believe season 8 will be similarily so. its not necessarily that bad though, as they get to develop the other characters a lot more than previously. (more teal'c, more teal'c!). and despite having much less screentime than previously, Jack still gets lots of important stuff to do.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Originally posted by kaids
    it picks up after that though, 7x03 is hilarious and 7x04 could well be the most technically impressive TV scifi i've ever seen. they are clearly making the most of their enormous budget now.

7x03 is a great laff, isn't it? The second you-know-who came onscreen I started laughing because you-know-who was so good I knew *instantly* what you-know-who was about :D

SG-1's budget isn't that big though. It's about $1.5 million or so per episode which is NOTHING on Enterprise's $5 million. I believe the SG-1 crew do extremely good work given what they're working with.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Well, its bigger than previous seasons anyway. If Enterprise invested some of that budget on decent scriptwriters and crew they'd be onto a winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭qwertyphobia

watched the repeat of the program tonight. My god it was such a star wars rip off, am really dissapointed the charcters didn't joke about it it would have been in keeping with their personalities

To leave it out just makes it look like you are two embrassed cause you nicked the plot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭David Stewart

Re Star Wars references the only one I could pick out was when ground control told Jack and Sam they were good to go and used a call sign, I think it was 'Flightpath' and Jack responded.
    "I thought we were going with Red Leader."

BTW, I saw it on Satellite and it was in Widescreen. Did NTL broadcast in Letterbox or did they pan and scan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Season 7 definitely picks up a LOT from the poor opening episode. I think the fact that RDA isn't about as much as he was in previous seasons is working in its favour, in fact; particularly since it allows them to focus more on Teal'c.

Oh, and indeed on Daniel - albeit that the single best "Daniel episode" so far of the season has been "Lifeboat", where Daniel isn't even Daniel at all. Superb episode though, really shows off Michael Shanks' acting range.

In budget terms - Enterprise's budget is tragic given the rubbish they're producing with it. Stargate is on a shoestring by comparison (lower budget than the X-Files, in fact) and yet they pull off some stunningly impressive stuff; if they had the sort of budget that's being p1ssed down the drain in Enterprise, I'd LOVE to see what the team could come up with.

Well i watched it last night....admittedly i only stumbled across it at 8.20....grrrr...makes me so mad when i forget me shows.

Anyway - i though it was just pants the way jonas left the whole SG team to become some sort of ambassador on his home planet.

Really, pants. It better get better from here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

ok so they got bored with jonas so they just chop him!! crapp!!!!!!
    he was cool. has anyone else noticed the slow increase of **** episodes! i ll never miss it in the hope it will return to its former glory!!!!

Advertisement