Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinXp to 2000

Options
  • 30-09-2003 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Hey Folks.
    I am planning to put 2000 on my computer and at the moment my computer is running a locked version of XP. I.e Register via e-mail or phone Etc. I have heard that I have to make boot discs from The 2000 CD while XP is running.

Does anyone know of an easier way of doing this? Thanks.
    Sajan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Take a look here: http://www.bink.nu/bootcd/
    You're better off just making the boot floppys imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭joc_06

maybe im way off here but why dont u just go into bios and select boot from atapi cdrom option, then restart and put in ur win 2000 disk. It'll start the setup proggy for ya with no boot disks needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Not all 2000 install CDs are bootable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭pdogs

If you can get the i386 folder copied from the CD to any FAT partition on the HDD and then navigate to that folder from a floppy boot diskette, you can then run the install using winnt.exe inside the i386 folder and without having to access the CD any more. Just one other option if your Win2K wont boot-up the installation process for you.

Presumably you have given-up on the WinXP installation - just be aware that if you install Win2K over an XP boot partitiion that you wont be able to (in a simple fashion) get back into the XP installation.

Advertisement