Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting video i got my mits on this morning!

• 01-10-2003 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭

Evening folks.
    Seeing as most recent videos that have come out can play American and Canadian video's, i decided to go on to the US Ebay and get some stuff ya can't get here and ireland.

One of the vids i got was the first ever Royal Rumble in 88.
    The original wasn't PPV, it was more an experiment (most people know this anyway). And overall it's not bad. It was never released on video so the only way ya can get yer mits on it is a TV taping when it aired on the USA network.

Some brief comments
    Opening match - Ricky Steamboat Vs Rick Rude. Steamboat's last proper match and one of Rude's first main events. Good back and forth match but way too long for an opener at over 17 minutes.

Bench Press Record attempt by Dino Bravo.
    You think HHH's interviews on RAW lately are long? they dragged this out to almost 25 minutes with Bravo bench pressing from 460lbs to 715 stepping up and up.

Jumping Bomb Angels Vs Glamour Girls.
    The womens tag team belts didn't mean sh|t then, but the moves out of the bomb angels was more than what most of the BLOKES were doing back then. Worth it for that.

Contract Signing - Hogan V Andre for The Main Event - Feb 88
    Snorefest as Andre takes 5 minutes (literally) to sit down and then another 5 to sign the contract before Andre throws a table on him. Typical contract signing ****e.

20 man Royal Rumble -
    Due to time constraints, (and lack of proper talent), there are only 20 men in the Rumble. Bret Hart taking the first ever Longitivity record staying in from #1 to #18 (34 minutes approx), it's funny in 88 because Hart was a heel (ready for a face turn) but the Rumble was in Canada so it was a mixed reaction because of his character. Hacksaw Jim Duggan at the height of his career.

Young Stallions Vs Islanders -
    The problem with the Stallions is that once McMahon signed the rockers over at the end of the year, the Stallions were relegated to jobbers, which was a shame as Roma and Powers were much better than Michaels and Janetty at the time. Given the push, god knows what they could have done. This however is a nothing match which is just there to kill time.

A definite history lesson and was definitely worth the buy :)
    Sorry, but i had to share this one.
    Nero

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Haha thanks for that, brought back a few memories, any other vids u wanna review??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    Haha thanks for that, brought back a few memories, any other vids u wanna review??

I've done a full Review for Rumble 89 but it might be a tad big to post up here. So I'm gonna post it on an external site.

http://www.shaunneary.com/wrestling/rumble89.html

I'll probably end up reviewing my whole video and DVD collection. Depending on how i feel about it.

Nero

Advertisement