Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safest way to pay online?

Options
  • 01-10-2003 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I was wondering what the safest way is to pay online? By that I mean from individuals who decide to sell stuff online like ebay. How can you protect yourself unscrupulous individuals?

I asked this question when trying to get a sterling bank draft and the teller told me that basically once you buy the sterling draft and write his name on it. It's theirs and there's no verification on whether he sent you the products or not.

There's a certain element of trust involved and you need to know the person at the other end of the screen is trustworthy. Is there a foolproof way to transact with an individual on the internet? Ie. take funds back if not product not delivered or an aribitrator to get involved?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Drafts are a bad idea, it's almost the same as handing over a bond or sending money by Western Union, i.e. it's almost the same as cash. Credit card is safer because you're protected by the credit card company, but obviously not everyone accepts credit cards.

The absolute safest way to deal online is to use an escrow agent, who'll basically keep the money in trust until the purchase has been examined by the buyer. Go to eBay > Services and CTRL+F for "escrow" for a little information on it, and links to a few escrow agents, but bear in mind that it can be quite expensive.

I very rarely buy from places like eBay or here, probably because I'm not a very trusting person, but I'm often surprised at how many people I know do a little trading on the side, with no real problems. It really comes to cop-on and common sense -- if you use your head and do simple things like check out the seller and ignore Amazing Bargains, you'll be fine most of the time; if you don't, you won't.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Yeah you're right, once I send the money I've no ganrantees what will happen. I tried working with the seller asking him to use that escrow service you talked about, which sounds great actually.

But he fed me some bull about escrow taking too long to collect ... his business is just taking off and he doesn't want to risk cash flow problems at this fragile stage (what does he take me for?) He can't afford to have money stuck to third parties for almost a week .... he has to move fast to be competitive.

I'm gone off the idea now. Escrow is probably the only way I'd do business online. Any way to get him to use the escrow service?

What can you do if you use credit card and something goes wrong? What options do you have at that point?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Any way to get him to use the escrow service?

No, but I have to say that the guy sounds like he's wearing sheepskin-coat and working out of the back of a Reliant Robin. If he's not willing to use escrow and he's not willing to ship first and get payment later, I'd tell him to get stuffed.

What can you do if you use credit card and something goes wrong? What options do you have at that point?

You can ring the issuer and ask for a chargeback. Google for "chargeback" for more info.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Originally posted by dahamsta
    No, but I have to say that the guy sounds like he's wearing sheepskin-coat and working out of the back of a Reliant Robin. If he's not willing to use escrow and he's not willing to ship first and get payment later, I'd tell him to get stuffed.

Yup. The deals offs then. I'll tell him where to put it. Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,975 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Got screwed sending a bank draft before (after all the trouble i went to to get it). They said "nah, that's not good enough for us", and then went through the whole e-bay "non-paying bidder" system trying to get me to cough up cash as well. Then I turned it around by going through the "safe trader" system, but had no luck, because they chose not to reply to the safe trader folks, and from then on there was nothing I could do. (ebay only deals further with orders over €25 or something).

This is the e-mail the cheeky bastards sent me:
    Hi,

please send the money cash to this adress:

Image Video
    Carmen Kloss
    Am Heidenhuebel 13
    66892 Bruchmuehlbach

it ist to expensive to bring the money-order to the bank.

Bye
    Silke

Just thought I'd name and shame the ****ers. CKlo@aol.com was their e-mail address as well, just so you can avoid them on ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I would use Paypal for this kind of situation!

Advertisement