Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Palm Tungsten|T3 - nice :)

• 01-10-2003 3:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭

there have been rumours flying around the net since mid-summer of a third model in the Tungsten|T series... i was lucky enough to have a surprise demo of the T3 last week - and it was an impressive device

i was holding off getting the original T as there were rumblings late last year of another model with more memory appearing down the line (it turned out to be the T2) - but now this has appeared (with a not too distant release date) it looks like i'd pass on the T2...

the biggest thing is the screen size, the slider area now extends to screen giving it the largest display yet on a PalmOne PDA (catching up with the higher end Sony Clie handhelds), switching between portrait and landscape display mode was easy, and the display intelligently handled the slider being opened and closed

it's packs a lot more under the hood too with 64MB RAM (approx 51MB user accessable), an Intel XScale Processor running at 400MHz and, as in the previous T rage, integrated Bluetooth

Palm's standard SDIO slot allows for both memory and peripherial expansion for the likes of WiFi, GPS and Camera SD card peripherials

unfortunately i wasn't allowed pics at the demo :( - but here's a great set where they have compiled a gallery:
    http://www.wehrungonline.com/palmos/tungstent3pics.htm

two other devices are due out, a new low-end Zire model and a mid-range Tungsten|E model

atb,
    BrianG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 DaveK

Reviews of the Tungsten T3 and E and the Zire 21 can be found here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭124124

Originally posted by DubWireless
    it's packs a lot more under the hood too with 64MB RAM (approx 51MB user accessable), an Intel XScale Processor running at 400MHz and, as in the previous T rage, integrated Bluetooth

Much like XDA II then? I saw CNET had posted latest review on T3, I wonder what makes it so attractive? Its not cheap either - 400 odd USD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Brighthand [link] have theirs up now too (and a nice new look to the site to boot!) :)

also, and keep an eye on Palm InfoCenter [link] they have the T3 up at the moment with the others to follow shortly

c|net news.com have a video interview showcasing the T3 and TE up already also

atb,
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

The specs are pretty normal for a PDA these days, nothing too remarkable. Its nice device but personally I don't like the slide down area. Its another thing to go wrong. I really don't like the graffiti either. I much prefer the Pocket PC for handwriting using transcriber. But I like the icons in the Palm OS they are much nicer than the Pocket PC ones. The device is a nice size but a little thicker than you'd expect IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by 124124
    Much like XDA II then? I saw CNET had posted latest review on T3, I wonder what makes it so attractive? Its not cheap either - 400 odd USD!

vs XDA II:
    well it's based on an Intel XScale chip @ 400MHz and has integrated Bluetooth - but that's pretty much where the similarities end - pitching against the likes of an iPAQ with integated Bluetooth would make for a good comparison. (Palm Previously used a Texas Instruments OMAP chip set the the Tungsten T range - so it's a step up in performance for this range).

on price:
    the T3 is a high end device and it is a pretty agressive price point for Palm - that's one of lowest points they have entered an enterprise model at (the original Tungsten T entered at higher - although they needed to drop it to encourage sales)

hth,
    BrianG

• Advertisement
Advertisement