Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

single player enjoyment

• 01-10-2003 9:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey there,

I am just wondering what single player games people would recommend out there. Ive completely had enough of the on-line games, Ive tried my hand at all sorts of games, but i find the best enjoyment is from simply playing a game in my own time, my own way that has a really good story and game play.

iI know Deus Ex 2 is due out sometime soon, and I really liked the first one, but does anyone have any recommendations on either recent games or up and coming releases?
    And i will play anything! my two favourites at the moment are Black and White:Creature Isle and Morrowind, but i like First Person Shooters and RPG's as well.

so, any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Uplink, in short it is fabulous, nothing else out there like it. Get the demo, fairly small and freely downloadable, if you like it then pick up the cd online, its very cheap.
    RPG wise, I've been playing Baldurs gate recently, and am very much impressed with it, I'm nearing the end I think so will soon be installing BG2 and importing my character to that. So I'd recommend that series too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Uplink is only about 7.99 on play I think. Or that could be amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Are ye looking for FPS or any kind of game?

I'd recommend Homeworld. great realtime space based combat strategy and the sequel is out soon. played the demo and its looking luvely-jubbly.
    :horned:
    (ooh new smiley)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pebble

I have played Baulders gate 1 and 2, and thought they were really good. Also played the Icewind Dale series as well.

but I am thinking of any and all games.
    Ive finished Homeworld as well. Now that seriously rocked!

Thanks for the heads up on Homeworld 2 though, looking forward to it already :)

I really like the first person shooters as well. Really, I will play anything, but im looking for those games that are just that little bit extra special, like Project IGI was, or Homeworld or Morrowind or Age of Kings.

so, keep 'em coming!
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

em Homeworld 2 has been out since friday !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

is it? oh well cant play it till i upgrade my piece of **** computer
    (celeorn 400 +Gfti 4200...dont ask :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Project IGI was something special? Loelz..

Anyway, pick up that recent LucasArts box set if there are a couple of games in it you haven't played (out of The Dig, Sam and Max, Full Throttle and Grim Fandango), that should keep you entertained for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I have to give Championshiop Manager a mention :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

Heh the title 'Single Player enjoyment' sounds kinda bad heh heh if u catch my drift heh heh /Sigh i have no life : :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

freelancer

i've only played the demo so far, 1 star system.
    seeing as i had a blast just exploring that system for over a week and the full game has 43 systems to explore (plus a full storyline & random missions for each system)....

well worth a bash, try the demo first to see if its your bag.
    kick ass game with a great lifespan imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Stormfox1020
    Heh the title 'Single Player enjoyment' sounds kinda bad heh heh if u catch my drift heh heh /Sigh i have no life : :(
    whats so funny about playing with yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭drjolt

For really good story/plot/character immersiveness, you can't beat a good adventure game. Get everything LucasArts ever did, plus Gabriel Knight 3 and Beneath a Steel Sky.

FPS wise my favourites from the last few years are Half Life, No One Lives Forever, Deus Ex & Max Payne. NOLF 2 came out a while back, and there are sequels to the others in production. Operation Flashpoint and SWAT3 are worth a look too, although less story-intensive.

Space game wise Freespace 1 & 2 if you haven't played them, Starlancer is pretty decent, try X - Beyond the Frontier or Freelancer for an Elite-style space trading/exploration game.

Advertisement