Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Top 50 sitcoms

• 01-10-2003 9:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

Brit rates 'Phil Silvers' as best-ever sitcom
    By The Associated Press
    October 1, 2003

LONDON - It's just one man's opinion, but a new British publication rates "The Phil Silvers Show," the saga of the work-shy, money-grubbing Sgt. Bilko, as the greatest sitcom ever.

"The Phil Silvers Show" beat "Seinfeld" at the top of the list in the new edition of the "Radio Times Guide to TV Comedy." The Radio Times is a weekly magazine published by the British Broadcasting Corp.

The list was compiled by author and TV historian Mark Lewisohn.

While "The Phil Silvers Show" ended in 1959 after four years, late-night reruns continued for years on British television. It also was known as "Sgt. Bilko" in syndication.

" 'Sgt. Bilko' is sitcom's high-water mark. In 2005 it'll be 50 years old, and yet it's still hilarious - with great scripts and magnificent performances week after week by Phil Silvers," Lewisohn said. "The crazy thing is, the show has been buried and forgotten in America, while in Britain it is still revered."

Other U.S. shows on the list: "Frasier" (No. 6), "M*A*S*H" (No. 7), "The Larry Sanders Show" (No. 11), "The Mary Tyler Moore Show" (No. 12), "Cheers" (No. 17), "The Dick Van Dyke Show" (No. 18) and "The Simpsons" (No. 20).

What I don't understand about this is I got a Radio Times Guide to Comedy about 3 years ago and Mark has Sein as no 1 in Britian and The US.
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Hmm, not bad. Suprised Frasier didnt top it.

Not becuase I like Frasier per se, but anytime I talk to ppl about American Sitcoms thats all they rave about!

In fairness though I would watch Sgt. Bilko all day long!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Untill Daphene and Niles got together Frasier was sublime stuff it all went downhill from there.

Fraiser has also become too serious there was a recent ep I saw and Niles was having bypass surgery that kinda plot you'd get in The Cosby Show but not Frasier.

I went off Kelsey Grammer after knowing he very publicy donated to and supports George Bush. Cant be having that!!

I saw a programme about Kelsey Grammer on the bio channel the man has had a shocking life when he was 18 both his parents were murdered by a burgular his olny companion was a sheepdog and his girlfriend stole him from him, then he became severely depressed and became a coke addict.

• Advertisement

Hmmm...
    Ok I'll go easy on him then!!

Interesting you talk about the bio channel. Here in NY there are huge adverts downtown advertising a new series of programms including Jerry.

Heres a cool pic of him and also the link to his piece on www.biography.com

http://search.biography.com/print_record.pl?id=23097

jerry-biography-channel.jpg

Advertisement