Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the best unix reseller manager out there

Options
  • 01-10-2003 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi

Firstly I am not looking for hosting or reselling so resist all you sales people.

What is the best unix client hosting interface.

Cpanel ?
    Ensim ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There is no objective 'best'. I would recommend you have a look at as many of them as possible and try to compare their features with your needs and those of your clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

Well that is the point.

I thought the idea was that you could bounce ideas and share info on the boards.

I have not really the time to test out all the panels available so I was wondering, if any one else had expeirence of both and was will ing to share the info.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭FreeHost

I would agree with Blacknight, there is no objective best. I use Ensim myself, I like the user interface. However, saying that Cpanel has more features.

Most of them have a 15 or 30 trial, so if you have a spare machine try them out.

There is one drawback with Ensim, that is, a lot of the RPM's are ensimised, therefore it's difficult to use uptodate in RedHat, for example if uptodate downloads one of the latest RPM's which overwrites an ensimised RPM then it will crash the server.

Which is why we don't use either CP.
    We use 42go which we really like, as you can still patch and upgrade stuff without any serious consequences.

Another thing worth considering is scale. Some CPs allow clustering, others don't. There are positive and negative aspects to all of this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Interesting to note that Jamie Cameron (of Webmin fame) is developing a control panel now called Virtualmin. It's installed as a Webmin module and presumably ties other modules (Bind, Sendmail, Apache, etc) together to make account creation easier. User access is via Usermin.

It can't be denied that Webmin is a pretty ugly control panel that's difficult to secure to a granular level, but it's also pretty hard to deny that it's a bloody good application. I've already fired a book at Jamie (the shipping cost more than the book!), I think I'll be throwing a few quid at him for this too.

adam

• Advertisement

We deployed virtualmin on a client's server. It has some nice features, but is not really aimed at the 'newbie' sysadmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

Thanks for the replies,

one thing I noticed about whm ( reseller f end ) is that it allows you to migrate all your users across to another reseller using whm. So it lets the reseller always get the best deal for their customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hpshere from www.psoft.net is also excellent, but requires more upfront effort than the others, That said, it is a comprehensive automation system, providing support, billing, etc, in one system.

Advertisement