Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Slots on my Exchange

Options
  • 01-10-2003 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Been waiting 2 and a half weeks for Clicksilver so decided to e-mail them to see if my line had got a provisional date for switch on but i got this answer.

"You request has been stalled by Eircom because they've run out of slots
    on your exchange. This means they need to get an engineer down there
    pronto so that we (and everyone else - including themselves) can
    provision more users. Unfortunately we've not got an ETA for when
    they'll do this. :( I've asked for your account to be escalated
    manually."

My question is has this happened to anyone else in here? If so what kind of a wait am i going to have to endure. Is this a big job for an engineer to make more slots available?

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Interesting response from UTV. Very frank :) I like it.

What exchange is that mickger? There may be other boardsters wondering what the holdup is too. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Its the Tycor Exchange in Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Does anyone know how many ports are full at that point? In a roundabout way, it may be a good think (not for you mickger I know) that there is decent uptake of the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭gombín

Mick,

I've checked it out, and there's definitely no problem with Tycor. Smells of UTV stalling you 'til they catch up on the backlog of orders with the promotion.

Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

In all my dealings with UTV, they have never lied. I would find it infinitely more likely that this is yet another monopoly abuse and delay by eircom.

From my own experience, if it was a delay at UTV's end, they'd be straight about it, and tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

"no slots" could just be the story Eircom are feeding UTV. There may well be no problem at the exchange as gombín suggests.

I'm at a loss what to think now guys. At first i found it hard to believe that the uptake of broadband was so high that there would be not enough slots available but the exchange is very close to a large industrial estate and i would imagine that alot of the companies there would be getting broadband. After what you guys have said i don't know what to think. Thanks for the replies

Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Tell UTV that Netsource found you a 'slot' and you are off to them.

Concentrate their minds

M

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

eircom told me my line was failing cos they hadn't any ports but since my line now passes

Got an e-mail yesterday saying that there are now slots available on my exchange and that 17/10/03 will be the switch on date. Is that date they actually switch it on? When do they send out the modem?

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Called UTV this morning and was given the same "no slots" answer. I ordered three weeks ago so it looks like I'll be waiting at least 4-5 weeks to get it.

As a matter of interest in there a thread that keeps track of time involved from order date to completion date?

Quick update on this:

I called UTV again and they still have "no slots available" on my account, called Eircom and was told there is not a problem and there are plenty of ports available on my exchange.

Is this just a communication problem between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

Did you tell UTV, that eircom told you that they could take your order today, and there were plenty of slots available?

If this is true, then anti-competitive practise by eircom has reached new heights and if there is evidence to support this, they could be in some deep water.

Originally posted by nahdoic
    Did you tell UTV, that eircom told you that they could take your order today, and there were plenty of slots available?

If this is true, then anti-competitive practise by eircom has reached new heights and if there is evidence to support this, they could be in some deep water.

Sure did, rang them straight back and spoke to the same guy I was talking to earlier. Told him what Eircom said and he said they will look into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Krouc

SOB's.

When i read your post I started to sh1t myself as I'm in Trim as well. Here's what I did:

Last week I called Eircom first, talked to a girl on there and said I was thinking of switching back if I could get dsl. She took my info and said she would call me back and let me know if I could get it. All I wanted from her was that the exchange was good to go.

I then ordered Clicksliver. That was a week ago. This morning I read your post. I still had not heard back from Eircom so I called. I told the guy I was onto a girl last week and was thinking of switching back :P He was very polite and apologised for me not getting a callback (i prolly actually missed it). I asked was my line able to get dsl and he said yes. I then asked him had the tests been carried out at the exchange for my line and he said yes. To be sure I asked him again, this is not the result of pre-qualify test and he said no. The line had been tested and I could have Istream within days.

He was mad to get me to switch back but I mad my excuses and left.

You may be right that Eircom are keeping em for themselves or UTV need to be a bit more aggressive.
    I will contact UTV next.

BTW How long did it take UTV to get back to you?

K

Ok just off the line with UTV. Line went live today, modem tomorrow. All is good to go.

I dont know what happened you but fight it.

If you want you can get me at
    Blah Blah

Now all I have to do is wait for the rat to call back to get me to switch and tell em where to go.

K

Not too worried about it but I'll take you advice. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Emm, Krouc, you might not want to put your mobile number on a public board.
    You don't know what freaks are out there :horned:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Ok just off the line with UTV. Line went live today, modem tomorrow. All is good to go.

Errr, they send you the modem /after/ you're connected? What are you supposed to do in the meantime? I'm on ISDN and I have no analogue modem -- I thought the DSL modem was in the bloody post!

adam

Errr, they send you the modem /after/ you're connected? What are you supposed to do in the meantime? I'm on ISDN and I have no analogue modem -- I thought the DSL modem was in the bloody post!

I would think they sent it out the day the line was passed. She said it should be with me today/tomorrow. So i should have it within 24 hours of the line going 'live'. It may be at home already, will have to wait till I get there.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Guys, isn't this a bit off topic for this board?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by vinnyfitz
    Any evidence that Eircom are concealing availability of slots from their competitors should be posted here.
    Nothing wrong with the first 3 posts in the thread, but none of the rest of them have anything to do with whether Eircom are concealing the availability of slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

Can you imagine, Shinzon, passing and failing at the same time

I can imagine the pain alright, but this whole not enough slots on the exchange bull**** needs to be investigated further, either its a smokescreen by UTV or eircom are upto to there old tricks and choking the competition

Has anyone contacted Adrian Weckler about this, I would NPs but ive lost his e-mail addy, seens as i had to reformat my hard disk

Dont Ask aint been Shins week

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Well I actually posted on the UTV newsgroup that I had a feeling that it might be their way off staggering rollout so that tech support wasn't inundated. From their replies I now absolutely believe that thay are telling the truth. Krouch's example strengthens that belief.

I don't know for sure but I think Krouch's CPS was with Eircom. Mine is with UTV. There is a definite pattern appearing.

The ba$tards. THE DIRTY ROTTEN STINKING BLOATED SMELLY BA$TARDS!!!:)

UTV are raising my case with eircon, hopefully Comreg will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

UTV are raising my case with eircon, hopefully Comreg will too.

Guess what? Comreg are not going to raise the issue. Just off the phone to them and they more or less insinuated that it was UTV that were creating the problem. They said that they had contacted all the providers and asked them if they had any issues with eircom and that they were told that they had not. Hmm.

She said that only UTV could raise the issue with Comreg and that they couldn't act on my complaint unless UTV complained as the contract was between UTV & Eircom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

As I posted last week, I put in an order (with UTV) a few days after my exchange was upgraded. An Eircom engineer rang me last Friday to arrange an appointment for this Tuesday, however he rang back an hour later to tell me that HQ told him to rearrange it for the 13th. I emailed UTV to ask what the story was on Friday, didn't get a reply. Emailed again Tuesday, didn't get a reply. Haven't heard anything from Eircom yet either, so if I don't hear anything by tomorrow I'll start making noise. I might drop UTV unless they get back to me with a bloody apology for not answering my email while I'm at it. If there's one thing that annoys me, it's people not answering emails.

adam

Just to let you know my CPS is with UTV and has been since I signed up with them when UTVIP was launched.

Its odd alright, were both in the same town, same CPS and I ordered last Friday and got setup within the week, Valentia ordered before me. And I would have to agree that very few ppl have signed up. The exchange is only live a few weeks.

The only difference was that I got Eircom to tell me direct not through UTV. And then ordered through UTV :D

K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

This thread has been split off from the thread IOFFL's next move which was going slightily off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Threads Merged.

Advertisement