Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish clan scene.. dead or alive..?

Options
  • 26-06-1999 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

What exactly is the story with the curent scene?? There seems to be absolutely no organisation of any leagues , iqcl or the modemers league or anything. It seems that there are a few clans still around but not really playing apart from the national team. So, is the clan scene dead ? do people not want to play clan games any more or leagues ? Nethouse and CA seem to have taken over. ( i ain't starting the whole debate about CA again, I just want to know if people still want clans..?)

Verb

Also the Fenians are restarting, offer goes out to all and any who wish to join or rejoin. If no irish teams are active, we will play english. All support needed !!
    smile.gif

(flav ans musician i expect yee to return ..... muhahahaha )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭El_Presidente

dk/inc/scobe/cw

are alive

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

ah FENs

You do realise I still 0WN the rights to that clan smile.gif

Its MY copyright smile.gif

Good luck if you need me im up for it anytime ... email me on martins@support.iol.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Verb - Nice one!
    If you wanna game, scobe will play you.
    Who said quake is dead, when there's clans respawning smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

LDC are back and ready to stomp, and whats the story regi??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Riker

I'll tell yis what's happened to the Irish Quake scene:

Instead of welcomeing new players and helping them out, most of you pick on them and abuse them. A mate of mine about 6 months ago was in the middle of his first ever war, Blade and some other fella to their credit helped him on, he was having a great time, people their gave him a chance. Then along came Von and his possy, told him to fvck off and took his place.
    My mate tried some CA but was kicked by Daaa, he then got ****ed off and just resigned to playing with us on the UCD LAN.

About 2 weeks ago I suggested to two other lads who are quite good at LAN Quake to try the NET. I gave them the server IP's and all that and they both took out 1 month free trials from TINET. They started playing a few duels, some CA then started getting abused from some people, I'll mention no names but you prolly know who you are. Everytime one of them fired just one grenade on CA, they were told it's 'spamming' abviously someone taking the **** but then everyone on the server ganged up on them that night and the op kicked them.]

Von you're a d!ckhead and so's Slaan.

Loads of others but fvck it, I'm not gonna do any good by telling on them, they know who they are.

If anyone want people to play quake, help them out, be nice and don't act as if it's just some big ego-booster. Yis need more people like Damo, Koopa, INC MP and Blaster and Mickah and Slosh who helped the above people.

For Shame

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Koopa

kicked for spam?? what the ****k?? why the **** are you kicking people for firing?
    same goes for 'camping'.

okay then, if people dont walk into my rockets, or suicide after telefragging someone(out of guilt), they should be kicked.

I get annoyed at ppl spamming too, but that just forces you to think of a way around it.. I actually get a lot more ****ed off at the 'righteous' people who claim they dont spam, but fire rockets at doorways(yes it is spam), and do other stupid non-skill requiring stuff like rocketjumping in the middle of a fight(because trust me if you get away with it, it is because youre not on a LAN)

But would i kick someone because they do stuff that annoy me on a server? NO!
    thats like saying "there are these tactics, if you use any other tactics you will get kicked" .. it breeds stupidity.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

There have been a lot of new players lately.
    They seem to think its ok.
    Name names riker, or stop picking on Von, (who I've never really seen on CA) otherwise you tar the lot of us.

DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i reckon you shouldtakeaway all ops.
    i mean,what exactly are they for?
    ifsomeoneisacting the ejit then they act the ejit. but when you get to the stage where loads ofppl have ops then obviously people will get kicked for doing nothing wrong in their eyes.
    or just set up a newbie server
    oreven an oldie server and you can give whoever ypou want ops. sort of like a private irish quake server.

only recently in q2 have ops been re-introduced (afaik) and there has been one or two cases of kicking. i can see if during a team practise when they might be needed, but in free play there should be no kicking for ANY reason. not even muppetry.

try and learn a little tolerance people and most of this squabbaling and bickering will cease. so what if someone acts the bolix sometimes. we all do it.

in the famous words of an infamous tree/tractor/head-the-ball....
    why cant we all just get along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

"Von, (who I've never really seen on CA)"
    von was on the war server
    twas davey up to no good on CA

and yes, newbies are treated like ****e
    too many bloody wan*erz in this scene...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Old Ser

Hiho , is there no quake1 leagues running at mom?
    If not someone with time start one:>
    btw , close the CA server:>>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Ah I remember that. We had tried to get a clan game organised for a week. When we turn up on the server Riker (his mate or whoever) won't leave when asked politely. Most people leave when theyre asked if theres a game on including me and my possy (whoever or whatever that is). If anyone starts with the "no i'm not leaving, i want to play" stuff, we assume thats ickle Daa wasting everyones time.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

You said UCD LAN Riker,

Who plays on the lan? I don`t know anyone in UCD anymore that I couldn`t beat when I played, bar Toilet and Tomb.

Just wondering why you never played me there, seen as I played for like most of last year.....hmm Q is still alive

/me goes looking for his backups...

Ro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

same stuff happening in q2. new players getting abuse and getting told "you're sh!te" etc by certain players. no wonder theres no new players around.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Close the CA server ??? I'd close the War server first matey...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

uh-oh..

here we go again

/me ducks under table

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Riker isn't in UCD.he's in ....

I ment DCU

Stupid me sad.gif

[This message has been edited by Monty - the one and only (edited 29-06-99).]

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

Lol how did my name get there ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

hey Ronin :
    a guy from UK clan i know called Elm(y) was talkin to me - i had to leave his clan (QP),
    and he asked me about some ronin guy he knew ages ago in DD from ireland smile.gif help em out and kick some UK ass with ur low ping smile.gif
    they hang out in #qp

Pat

I thought I did name names.

There are way too many to name and I couldn't be arsed, the ones I mentioned have done it persistently.

Face it lads, the reason the Irish Quake scene is dead is because the majority of players don't let others into the game so they all fvck off the HL and tribes, more team-based 'cos lots of ppl here forget that Quake is for recreation but some ppl take it too far.

Loadsa ppl throw their weight around servers and have contempt and no patience for new players.

Part of the reason I gave up quake is cos it's not fun anymore, just maybe CA sometimes.

Sponsorship?

Forget is Dev, it's not appreciated.

You know when Irish quake had it's biggest influx of new players?

Vanilla Indigo CTF.

They were the days, lots of fun...

And as far as spamming....

Ok, a mate of mine was on CA and fired 1 (ONE) grenade into the middle by accident, he was switchin weapons and Jaden kicked him.

He then got lagged a while later and hid for about 10secs while his pl steadied and Jaden kicked him again...

Just lots of incidents I've seen, I'm sure there's loads more and that's why all people who are coming into online gaming are going into HL et al.

Oh and I can't stand some people telling others how to play on the CA server...

"Do this, don't 'spam', go there, don't run"

Blah Blah Blah.

Anyone ever been on a US FFA server?

No chat, just play, everything goes, yeah they have the right idea.

UCD not DCU Monty.....

Ronin, give me a buzz: simonshannon@hotmail.com

Maybe get a few more LAN games going?

Who else in Irish quake is in UCD?

• Advertisement

Devore, pay attention dude.

Daaa = CA

Von = War

My mate was in the MIDDLE of a war with Tomb and Blade, they were helping him and that..fantastic, but then along comes Von and some other fvckers, get him kicked and take his place.

Just an example of what I'm sure goes on alot otherwise there'd be more quakers, have you seen the amount of HL players there are now?!

I may be a d1ckhead but Slaanesh most definitely isn't. We demand an apology.

In answer to Verb, connects to UK are good and there is still a fairly good league scene with plenty of clans. UK clans are looking for modemers in particular for next seasons league. The top teams practice a lot while others just turn up for their league games and play for fun.

[This message has been edited by Von (edited 29-06-99).]

I dunno... I've seen a few new peeps come on to CA and they've by and large been treated very well..

Talking. The people on the server don't ignore them, it may seem like it sometimes, but how often have you heard the cry 'FFS, I was Typing you *****' to which the reply is usually 'Well you shouldn't have been'...But by and large the people on the server are helpful, giving advice on how to choose team, explaining why a player can't just jump right into the middle of a game with even teams, explaining how to maximise performance wrt framerate etc...

Spam. I have only ever seen one person kicked for spam, and I'm pretty sure that was not a newbie but an experienced player under a different nick (can't remember what it was, Simeon or something ...). He was told not to spam - and by spam I mean he stood at the Invis. Ring and launched grenades non-stop into the lower area.. literally non-stop.. this was before the 60 rock limit.., It was two v two and I was his team-mate. His spamming ****ed me off as much as the other team. He was asked to stop, politely, by ALL of us. Then he was told to stop, then he was warned to stop, then he was stopped. Apart from that, I have never seen a person kicked for spamming, though I have seen warnings, and explanations of what spamming is to those who don't know. There are always cries of 'SPAM' from players, usually when they die by grenade... hehe, koopa got me nicely with a spam.. the grenade stopped beside me, I blanked, looked down at it.. BOOM! smile.gif I had to laugh..

Insults: New players are rarely insulted. usually the insults go around players who know each other. Mainly the game is insult free until one person joins and has a problem with a person there already. (I remember Daa being well behaved until Ste joined and then all hell broke loose..). New players rarely get abuse for being new. They are well tolerated (we know we need our fodder...) and helped. It's when they join in the slagging on a side they know nothing about or on a subject they don't know the background to, that's when they get ****.. and fair enough, they got involved. It's part of being included. smile.gif

Elitism: there's a bit of this, but on the whole, players like Jaden, dev, Dre etc, while being better than most (the names are just example and used in a CA context, before someone bites my head off..) are more than willing to team up with a newbie, and there are a lot more calls of 'Go ON!' than 'Ya Muppet!'..

Oh, btw, the other day we had a few games where the final surviving two met in the centre of DM3 for an axe fight... worked well and was a great laugh. Dead peeps didn't spoil the fun by coughing phrases like 'Water!' or 'he's only got 10H!'... I suppose it wasn't as boring for the specs waiting for the next round. Any thoughts on making this an unwritten rule? Weapon of choice - preferably axe, at mound..noon..

Also, any addys for English servers? Might take an ikkle holiday sometime...

Suncream, check, togs, check, axe, check, big **** off lightning gun, check, passport, check, sandals, check......

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

People get kicked and abused on Clan Arena all the time. I ****ing know. So don't give anyone the preachy ****....if they are ****ed off they usually have every right to be.

preachy?? fair 'nuf.. if that's the term you use for an opinion. I didn't write it as gospel, which you seem to think I did, only as an observation and my opinion.

as to being kicked off, I was referring specifically to new players and the treatment of them. It was also in general terms, there are obviously exceptions.

I know people are kicked off, and usually yes, they deserve it. If you notice, I never disputed that. I actually made a point that people who are kicked are usually warned and given every opportunity (in some cases too many chances are given and the threat of being kicked just sounds hollow - like having a bluff called). People have a right to be ****ed off if they get kicked or treated unfairly and they should complain, otherwise no-one will know it's happening but at the same time, it is important not to give the iompression that such behaviour is commonplace so much as to be accepted and expected.

/me contemplating the priesthood...
    Hey Rev. Hellfire.. any jobs going in your Clergy?.... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭DEATH

Yeah Preach On Brother Bunny

Jaden in the Elitest?
    smile.gif

Wots that then

sunglasses.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

The more clans the better, I say.....

Well these are just my observations.
    You all hear about the growth in the internet, and uncle of mine had founding ordinary shares in Yahoo and well...he's very rich now.
    Everyday more and more people are connecting up and loads of them are discovering online gaming.
    I'll tell you what is fact, that the proportion of new quake players to the amount of online gaming newbies is wack.
    Most of them are playing HL TF and team-based games because established quakers, especially in Ireland, don't let them in the game.
    Instaed of whinging about this all day though, I have a suggestion:

Replace the CA server with a CTF one for a week, then put the CA server back and move the CTF one to another port or whatever.

This'll force people to play CTF for a week, then if it picks up, it does, and if not, then not.

All I'm saying I guess is that the FUN out of Irish online Quake playing has been lost.

The only time I enjoy playing now is with mates on a LAN.

I actually might give HL a go. I disagree with you Lolth, there might be a few new players, but get realistic here. New players can be seen playing HL dayly, but Quake? Forget it.

[This message has been edited by Riker (edited 29-06-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Jeese, Riker,
    Do you ever stop complaining...?
    My mate was kicked, my mate was slagged, everybody is after me. ?Maybe if you just played the game and ignored what every1 else in doing... I know people can get very annoying ( i'm looking at myself smile.gif but really ya jut have to ignore them.

Von, thanks for replying to the actual post.. smile.gif

But it just seems strange that we did have over 20 clans entering for iqcl and we now have 4 - 5 ...? Come on let's get things going a bit... Verb gets the pep talk goin ... !!!!! Quake was fun.. no reason why it still can't be !!!

Gav!

Advertisement