Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop graphic chips

• 01-10-2003 4:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭

well I have been thinking of buying laptop for a while i would mainly be using it for lan games and leaching so DVD r and a good graphic would be a must. I have been looking at dell's offering and the laptop I’m thinking of buying has got go fx5200 64 mb

Is this any good and could I play modern games on this machine and the likes of hl2

any info would be good

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

I think the HL2 teams showed specs of it running on a Nvidia and ATI, and an ATI came out top. That chip is ok, other good ones are the ATI 9000 64mb and the newest version of this which has only recently been released, the ATI 9600 64mb.

a laptop with 512ram would be a good choice too.
    also, make sure the laptop isn't using Shared RAM. cos they're not as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

www.alienware.com make very good quality laptops at a price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

is Radeon 9600 64MB better than FX5200 64MB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Originally posted by Vorrtexx

a laptop with 512ram would be a good choice too.
    also, make sure the laptop isn't using Shared RAM. cos they're not as good.

Are you referring to graphic performance with the shared RAM comment? I'm trying to decide between two laptops at the moment, one's a P4 2.4 GHz, the other a PM 1.3 GHz.

The 2.4 GHz has an "ATI RADEON 9000 (64 MB)".

The 1.3 GHz PM has "Integrated 3D AGP Dynamic Video Memory Technology (DVMT) with up to 64 MB of VRAM"

Both machines have similar spec other than the graphics, but I'm currently leaning towards the Pentium M because of the battery performance.

They're both Acer laptops, and I'll be using them for DVDs and a bit of photo editing mainly, no major games to worry about. Advice would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Originally posted by therecklessone

The 2.4 GHz has an "ATI RADEON 9000 (64 MB)".

If you wanna play games, get this one, **** the battery life..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Thanks, but usually the most I do is a bit of championship manager...

Is there any other reason why I should avoid integrated graphics, or is it just game playing?

Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

yeah, I was referring to Video Shared RAM.
    As far as I know, this is the order of the gfx chips performances
    ATI Radeon 9000 -> Geforce FX5200 -> ATI Radeon 9600

and I think most onboard gfx chips used video shared ram.

therecklessone : There are Centrino laptops that do come with ATI Radeons also, but you would obviously be paying a bit more money too which may not be an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭HaVoC

i think the above have got there own stand alone memory and the 9000 is a dierctx 8 card i think where the others are 9 as fare as i know the only problem is you have to get a very high performance laptop to get the 9600 usually only on the flag ship models. what do yeah think of 64 meg compared to 128 on the desktop and the laptop i'm talk abot has 512 ram and 3ghz chip p4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 therug

I'm a Newbie, so hope this is the right place to post?!!!

I've got myself a dell Lat D 800 and it plays games ok with a nvidia 64MB NV28.

Just a question tho...whats the retail name for the NV28 and do any of you guys rate the card and/or the dell....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

Id check this laptop out if your thinking of buying

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118163

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

The NV28 is a Geforce Ti4200 with a newer 8x AGP interface.

Advertisement