Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My question about unbundling..

Options
  • 01-10-2003 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I'm moving into an apartment in Dublin city centre. Up to now I have been living out d'country and had to use a modem. I have contacted Eircom to get a phone line installed and a techie is calling on Friday afternoon to sort this out.

I want this line purely for DSL, not voice. The exchange I am on is Ship Street I think, so I'm planning to get the Esat SME DSL package (EUR 90 ex VAT p/m iirc).

My questions:

1. If I go with Esat for the DSL, and do not want to use the line for voice, can I get completely unbundled from Eircom and not have to pay line rental? I really want to live in a rat-free world. :)

2. Are Eircom going to be evil and not allow me to unbundle for a certain amount of time after I have the line installed?

Cheers,
    Teeth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by Dr_Teeth
    1. If I go with Esat for the DSL, and do not want to use the line for voice, can I get completely unbundled from Eircom and not have to pay line rental? I really want to live in a rat-free world. :)

No, you will still have to pay line rental to eircom unfortunately.

Glenn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Glenn
    No, you will still have to pay line rental to eircom unfortunately.
    ESAT have an "unbundled" option, according to numerous posts here, that allows you to get a DSL connection on a "data only" line, and the monthly charge includes the line rental (that ESAT then pass on to eircom). This isn't relevant for the IOLBB residential service, but in exchanges like Ship Street, where ESAT have their own equipment, and sell their own products, I'd expect that you will have this option.

Unfortunately, ESAT doesn't believe in documenting any of this on their website, so you'll have to talk to someone at ESAT to confrm this.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, I believe you can do this with Esat's LLU products (not IOLBB RADSL). However expect lots of phone calls to Esat and denial of its existence at first by call centre staff. But if you persist and get through to a manager, they should be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Originally posted by Ripwave
    ESAT have an "unbundled" option

oh, arse - didn't know esat did this. I should have just kept me mouth shut like I was going to originally :D

good luck contacting esat, teeth - hope you escape the rat :)

Advertisement