Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Evidence of life on Europa

• 01-10-2003 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

It seems the sulphur traces on Europa match the type of "biogenic signature" scientists look for when searching for extraterrestial life.

The sulphur compounds, spotted by the Galileo space probe, look like bacterial waste products similar to those seen in the dry lakes of Antartica where the ice contains sulphur deposited by bacteria living in the water underneath.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Nuphor

Wow, interesting. Thanks for the post. Europa has always intrigued me. Hopefully NASA or the ESA have plans to send a probe. It seems relatively feasible that life could exist under the icey mantle near volcanic vents like what we have here on earth. There has to be quite an amount of core activity too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I'm afraid we will have to wait another 15 years before another probe will arrive at Jupiter. More info on this mission can be found here.

15 years is an awfully long time. It's a shame that NASA's budget is so small in comparision with how it was during the Kennedy era. Not that there aren't more important matters, but, I dunno. It seems a shame is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by sykeirl
    It seems the sulphur traces on Europa match the type of "biogenic signature" scientists look for when searching for extraterrestial life.

Is this why they crashed whaychyacallit into Jupiter itself rather than into Europa as (I believe) was originally planned?

jc

I believe I read somewhere that there was a chance Gaelianaosdoipoiodsoio (I can't spell :() wasn't entirely clean. Best not to land some earth bacteria on another planet...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by bonkey
    Is this why they crashed whaychyacallit into Jupiter itself rather than into Europa as (I believe) was originally planned?

jc

Yes, the fear was that any earth originating microbes on galileo would contaminate Europa and pose a threat to any organisms that may be alive there.

Could it be the first act of interplanetary diplomacy?

Advertisement