Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Using a web SMS server

• 01-10-2003 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭

Basically.

I'd like to have a cron job on a Unix box, which will tell me certain things about stats on that box, via sms.

I have an account with meteor and it does provide web text, but, I'm thinking that the interface is probably 'browser' driven and that my sms client proggie linuxsms, won't be able to talk the protocol.

In any case, I'd appreciate some guidance on this topic.

Much thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Serbian

Hey Typedef,

It is possible to do what you are doing. The only way that I know of however is by attaching a GSM modem to your linux box and putting a sim card into the modem. I can't remember how the modem connects but I think it's USB.

We were running this off a Windows box so I have no idea what software you could use to interact with a *NIX box, but it was up and running on Red Hat at one point in the office. I'll ask around and see what I can find out for you.

Serb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Sweet.

I tried to get some sort of web (HTTP) based thingy going through this crowd.

www.gomobile.ch

Which apparently is a swiss company which provides sms services (internationally) once you register with them (2 per week or something).

Rather unfortunatley... it seems the non-swiss nature of my ip address craps this process out.

doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Y don't u use an ICQ interface or hack one outta an ICQ client to send the sms?

Dizz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

unfortunitly icq has delevery problems. vodafone, o2 and meteor take ages to delever, if they do at all. my quess would be try and script lynx to connect to the page and do whats needed. not sure how no. lot my meteor sim and have no access. want to try it with o2 though and their 500 free messages. i think at most it would be 2 calls to the server, the second requiring a cookie from the first which allows login. i think lynx supports it, but links may be needed to do the job.

Yeah I was thinking that perhaps a perl script would do the job.

Though I'm sure meteor will take a dim view of me developing a script to automagic a cron'd sms through their web site.

If lynx is scriptable to an acceptable level, I'd be just as chuffed.

Also, I'll admit to being wet behind the ears when it comes to icq.... I've vaugely heard of it, but, between coding, eating, sleeping and stuff, I've never had a 'need' to learn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

there are a few places where you can get email to SMS gateways. that way all you have to do is send an email. ICQ offers it, but as i said delevery rate is really bad. most of these emai to SMS are pay for use. but sometimes only about 2c per sms when buying in bulk (1000+ or so). if im correct in thinking, www.iobox.com had or has something like this? thats now had. their dead :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,043 ✭✭✭✭Stark

ICQsms works fine for me and has some kind of an XML interface (you'd have to know a little bit about the icq/oscar protocol though).

Sources on the ILUG have hinted that ****'s company mperium (aka Teh Corinthian) has a well predicated HTTP API for doing just this sort of thing.

Which sounds interesting.

Advertisement