Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of IBB

Options
  • 01-10-2003 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭

this means that ibb are the most expensive connection-though they do have lower monthly rates albeit for different types of product with no cap.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by sixtysix
    this means that ibb are the most expensive connection-though they do have lower monthly rates albeit for different types of product with no cap.
    Cost for a 12 month contract from eircom (the absolute minimum they will let you have) is 11x€54.45=€598.95. (The second 12 months will cost you €653.40)

The cost for a 12 month RipWave contract with IBB is €120+12x€30=€480. That's the equivalent of 4 months rental "free" in the first year, compared to eircoms prices.
    (Ripwave is 512/128, 40:1 contention, and effectively "self install". You get a choice of Ethernet or USB modems).

The cost for a 12 month HomeBreeze connection is €150+12x€35=€570. (512/512, 20:1 contention).

IBB are still cheaper than Eircom, and their product offerings have better specifications than Eircoms (unless you think 50MB of webspace is worth a lot of money).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭sixtysix

i do agree but you left out one figure
    homebreeze plus is 48.40 per month plus 149 connection
    729.80 in first year

i do agree but you left out one figure
    homebreeze plus is 48.40 per month plus 149 connection
    729.80 in first year
    That's for an 8:1 contention "product". Eircom doesn't have anything even remotely like that, which is why I didn't bother including it in the listing. I also left out Eircoms higher priced offerings, even though Eircoms €108 service is actually a better match to HomeBreeze, never mind HomeBreeze plus. (That's €165 + €120 + 12x€89, plus VAT of 21%, about €1370!!)

well said but it is a bit disingenuous to include ripwave in your figures-its available in one area of dublin only

well said but it is a bit disingenuous to include ripwave in your figures-its available in one area of dublin only

Disingenuous? You're the one who brought IBB into the thread, not me. If limited availability means that IBB doesn't really count, why did you claim they are the most expensive connection? Even if you ignore Ripwave, HomeBreeze is cheaper than Eircom Broadband over the course of the minimum contract period.

(And for what it's worth, DSL is only available in limited areas too, you know :) )

• Advertisement

i am always amazed at the deferential even reverential treatment afforded to both ibb and utv on these boards. granted they have the courtesy to actually communicate with us but they must have signed up significant numbers from these boards alone.
    Ripwave -it is not an offence to point out that pricing is important.
    Bill Clinton had a phrase about the economy-i won't use it just in case you take it personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

well ripwave is pretty useless when it coems to gaming and adsl is good enough.

Huh? I know pricing is important - that's why I bothered to post the actual prices.

You seem to be very defensive about this, changing the subject every time I provide relevant information that demonstrates that you're not doing your homework.

Note that you dragged IBB into the conversation, not me. Dismissing them as irrelevant because they're only available in a limited areas after you've incorrectly stated that they're the most expensive connection is an example of double standards (and I'm sure you can come up with a Clinton era quote for that too!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by Ripwave
    (and I'm sure you can come up with a Clinton era quote for that too!).

Where did I leave that cigar?

Originally posted by Boston
    well ripwave is pretty useless when it coems to gaming and adsl is good enough.
    Yes, Ripwave isn't much better than dialup for gaming. As I've no interest in gaming, that doesn't bother me in the least.

We've strayed a long way from the original point of this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Thread split from here.

My advance flamewar detection device is blipping so keep it civil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

sixtysix - stop defening those bloody Eircom @rsehole's. Anyone with any sense on these boards know's that Eircom broadband is a no go area. You must work for them or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

eireboy, sixtysix hasn't even mentioned the word "eircom" in this thread. This thread is about IBB's pricing and specifically, I gather, Ripwave pricing.

Now please read my post just above yours (especially the sentence ending in the word "civil") and take note of the contents. Thanks.

There used to be a time when people were actually polite to one another you know. And didn't step on each others faces for posting an opinion in a reasonably polite way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Sorry about that Sceptre but I wasn't reading it properly. He wasn't picking up for Eircom, he was more against IBB.

By saying something like:
    Ripwave just explained that IBB's products are cheaper than Eircom's and sistysix said that. Thats a bit odd.:confused:

no i dont work for eircom-currently awaiting a los test from ibb
    both ibb and utv are substantial business enterprises-they are not dedicated to bringing you the cheapest price.
    if all products were equal and they are not then ibb would be the most expensive connection. that was the original point i was trying to make.
    those of you defending ibb might also state if they work for ibb.

if all products were equal and they are not then ibb would be the most expensive connection.
    Huh? Eircom broadband costs a minimum of €598. No ifs, ands or buts about it. You are legally commiting to paying eircom at least that much when you get broadband from them. IBB have two products with better specifications for less that that.

If you can't actually justify this "most expensive" claim with actual hard facts, then why do you keep making yourself look foolish by repeating it?
    Those of you defending ibb might also state if they work for ibb.
    Purely on a matter of principal, I refuse to play that game. It's none of your business who I work for, and that sort of scurrilous implication that I shouldn't be trusted when I post simple, publicly verifiable facts is pretty typical of the sort of misinformation you've posted in this thread.

If you've an argument with the facts, post the argument. Playing the man rather than the ball is a red card offence.

i presume you read the phrase "connection"- the most expensive connection is ibb.
    the cheapest monthly rate is undoubtedly ibb.
    it seems criticizing ibb touches a raw nerve here.
    the attempt to confer sainthood on ibb will not be beneficial to either ibb or ibb customers.
    who you work for is of no concern to me
    i was merely responding to a claim that i worked for eircom because i had the temerity to question ibb prices.
    who was playing the man and not the ball?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

i presume you read the phrase "connection"- the most expensive connection is ibb.

However it is worth pointing out that the current connection charge on the RADSL products is only a special offer available up until the end of December.

After that the connection charge should return to the old rate, unless Eircom wholesale extend the deal (and only with ComReg permission).

However just comparing connection charges is ridiculous and unfair. As both products have a minimum 12 month contract, you should therefore compare them over the first 12 months and then compare them for the following 12 months. Only this way will you see the real cost of the products and yes IBB comes out tops.

In fact many paranoid people around here ;) have been thinking that Eircom specifically designed it's special offer to hurt the wireless companies, thinking that many clueless people will just look at the installation charge and not the monthly and overall charges.

paranoia strikes deep in the heartland as paul simon once said.
    i personally think that there is a lot of paranoid ibb supporters
    out there.
    i have at all times attemptd to be fair to ibb but if you want the house to fall in on you just mention ibb in a critical way.
    it is not encouraged on on these boards.
    presumably if eircom are attempting to damage ibb by effectively abolishing their connection fee(in a special offer)-it would ne normal for ibb to respond-however reading these boards ibb will think the sun shines out of their corporate ass.

I did read the word "connection". I didn't read the phrase "connection fee", because you didn't say "connection fee". My broadband "connection" costs me €30/month or €480 for the minimum contract period.
    Purely as a matter of interest, why didn't you make this argument after my first response? Is this simply another example of you trying to change the subject, or did you not notice this at the time?
    it seems criticizing ibb touches a raw nerve here.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but misinformation is the only thing that touches a raw nerve with me. I'll be just as quick to point out misinformation if someone overstates the cost of an eircom broadband connection.
    the attempt to confer sainthood on ibb will not be beneficial to either ibb or ibb customers.
    That's not a problem, as I'm not conferring sainthood on anyone. But I'm quite happy to do my bit to set "€30/month" as a benchmark in peoples minds. Frankly, if I could get DSL at that price, I'd choose it over RipWave, but I can't, and I won't be able to get it at the price as long as eircom figures that the market can bear €55/month. (In other words, don't expect any proactive price cuts from eircom. We won't see the wholesale charge drop to €22 unless Comreg gets balls for Christmas).
    who you work for is of no concern to me
    that's not what you said yesterday.
    i was merely responding to a claim that i worked for eircom because i had the temerity to question ibb prices.
    who was playing the man and not the ball?
    Not me. You're the one who refuses to post any hard data to back up your position. If you want to trade in unsubstantiated opinion then you're hardly in a position to challenge someone elses unsubstantiated opinion. (Especially when eireboy has already publicly withdrawn his comment).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bk
    In fact many paranoid people around here ;) have been thinking that Eircom specifically designed it's special offer to hurt the wireless companies, thinking that many clueless people will just look at the installation charge and not the monthly and overall charges.
    In fairness, I doubt that eircom had IBB in mind when they devised their promotion - it's more obviously aimed at IOL and UTV, where the start up cost was already up to €150 cheaper, as I pointed out at the start of this thread.

(Though I should also point out that eircoms deal apparently includes a modem with ethernet and USB interfaces. As I need a ethernet modem because I want to use a firewall device, this actually is of value to me, compared to the USB modem that IOLBB and UTV provide. For me, that might outweigh the €60 odd that I'd save in monthly connection charges over the year. This was also one of the advantages of Ripwave for me - I got an Ethernet connection at no extra charge).

out there.
    I think they only one demonstrating any paranoia here is you - you're seeing conspiracies where they don't exist.
    i have at all times attemptd to be fair to ibb but if you want the house to fall in on you just mention ibb in a critical way.
    See, there you go again. Someone else on this thread pointed out that the pings aren't great on RipWave, and didn't get any argument from me. I've read other posts in the last few days(probably in the broadband forum) complaining about signal quality, and there are lots of posts from people bemoaning the fact that they can't pass the LOS test, but you're the only one getting "feedback" because you're posting misinformation.
    presumably if eircom are attempting to damage ibb by effectively abolishing their connection fee(in a special offer)-it would ne normal for ibb to respond-however reading these boards ibb will think the sun shines out of their corporate ass.
    IBB "responded" before eircom introduced their special offer. IBBs installation fee for HomeBreeze dropped from something like €260 (plus extra for PoE) to €150 during the summer.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by Ripwave
    In fairness, I doubt that eircom had IBB in mind when they devised their promotion - it's more obviously aimed at IOL and UTV, where the start up cost was already up to €150 cheaper, as I pointed out at the start of this thread.

Oh, I agree, it has much more to do with closing the gap with UTV and IOL (and leaving Netsource out in the cold by the looks of it).

And it has even more to do with them trying to get as many customers on board during the christmas buying season and get them locked into a 12 month contract.

I'm just repeating what others have said about the wireless angle (however the issuing of the 3.5GHz licenses soon may have just a little bit to do with it).

(Though I should also point out that eircoms deal apparently includes a modem with ethernet and USB interfaces.

This was also one of the advantages of Ripwave for me - I got an Ethernet connection at no extra charge).

The free dual USB/Ethernet interface modem is a great deal, Eircom actually deserve a pat on the back for it. This is something that people in the UK haven't even got yet and they have been requesting it for a long time now.

out there.

No, I'm not an IBB supporter, I use Netsource in fact.

I have no problem with criticsm of IBB or anybody else for that matter, as long as it is justified. As Ripwave has said, many people have been critical of IBB, myself included (for instance when they were only setting up on the South side and not on the North side of Dublin) and others have been critical of the pings on ripwave. That is no problem.

But you seem to be on a vendetta to bad month them for no apparent reason.

e150 install isn't an outrageous install cost, not by a long shot. For many years you had to by a 56k modem to use the internet and they could cost between e75 - e100.

Advertisement