Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon DVD player

• 01-10-2003 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Surprised this hasn't been posted already.

Amazon have the Yamada DVD 5520 Multi-region DVD Player going for what works out as 71 Euro's including delivery.

Link here

Features
    This DVD player has been modified to provide multi-region playback
    Multiple Format Disc Supporting - CD,MP3,VCD,SVCD,DVD, CD-R,CD-RW, Kodak Picture CD(JEPG)
    Dolby digital
    Dolby & DTS SPDIF Digital out
    5.1channel Output
    10-bit video decoding
    Video Decompression: MPEG-1, MPEG-2
    PAL / NTSC playback
    192K/24bit (5.1ch)
    3D Surround (Virtual Surround)
    SCART cable not included

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by sykeirl
    Surprised this hasn't been posted already.
    Humpf. I mentioned it a few weeks ago. Probably didn't put it in its own "spanking good value" thread on the Bargains board though so the honour and acclaim are all yours:).

Still thinking about getting this. The Daewoo (I see dahamsta has it on his wishlist) looks quite nice but it's a good bit more and has that annoying bright blue display. From the few reviews I've read on other (not Amazon) sites, the Yamada plays pretty much anything you'd want to throw into it.

edit: the Daewoo isn't actually a "good bit more" (I'm obviously mixing the price up with t he Toshibas). It's an extra tenner so I don't know which one of the two I want now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Got the 5520 from Amazon myself a couple of weeks ago, took em bloody long enough to get it to me. They forgot to make it region free, realised this after they sent it and before I got it and went ahead and sent me a CD to correct the problem, plus a £5 gift voucher. Nice touch.

It's a ruddy good player, much better than ones I have paid 5 times the price for so far. Being able to look at my holiday snaps on TV is great too, really good for boring people into going home !

It was £8stg to get it delivered, so I think my overall total was 70 Euro 20 cent or something like that. It's got rave reviews on the site as well. 85 reviews and a 4.5 out of 5 star average !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by sceptre
    The Daewoo (I see dahamsta has it on his wishlist)
    Got it for me bufday. It's my first DVD player so I have nothing to compare it to, but it's doing the job fine so far.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Jesus that's cheap.

Still working ok for you?

Going great. Has DTS too.

• Advertisement

Does it have a standard cable set up as well as all the scart business? i.e. one for your video/cablelink "out" to go into, then one to connect to your tv aerial "in"?

Right, my cable terminology might not be up to scratch here, but...

The only cables I got were :

1. Composite cable (split into 3 plugs at each end, 1 red, 1 yellow, 1 white.

2. 2 other cables, similar to the cable above except split into 2 plus at each end, one red, one white. I expect thats for the surround sound.

At the back there are 2 connections or stereo speakers and a video out, this is where I plug cable number 1 in, and then attach into a scart converter plug (which didn't come included) to insert into the scart connection on my old TV (which only has scart and RF inputs).

So far as I can see there are several ports on the back of the DVD for surround speakers, plus there are 2 stereo ports, one video out, one scart connector and one S-Video (much like the TV out on your graphics card).

Just to stress, I have seen the cheapos for the same price in Argos (ALBA) and the powercity ones too, and they were good, but this one smacks them around in terms of looks, features and best of all, image quality, it really is excellent, I am astounded at the quality for this price. Best purchase I have made this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

just wondering what the returns policy is like with amazon. Have never bought from them before. Will they pay the postage if the goods are faulty?
    gonk

I know this is kind of cheeky, but have any of you guys got a digital camera? If so any chance of a photo of the back of the machine? I just want to have a look at the connections there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭freetoair

Bought this DVD player with a surround sound system for 69 STG. No complaints, plays MP3, CD, multiregion DVDs & video CDs.

Sound quality is great ! Have repalced my old Hi-Fi with this !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Is the player better than the scott player from the other thread?

I think it is better than the scott. It certainley looks better.

And last night I discovered something. I was looking at some of my photo CD's from my holidays on the DVD player, now, my camera records 10 second avi's, so I had about 20 of these AVI's on the CD. It played them. I then downloaded a couple of AVI and MPG trailers from the web and it played them. Its not advertised anywhere, but the bleedin thing plays AVI and MPEG !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

sorry was just wondering what made u go for this model over this
    is there any features this one has that the other dosent?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 nospamjl

In regard to the query about Amazon and DVD player returns.

I recently bought this exact player and it was faulty (kept coming up with no disc). I suspect that faulty players are sent out when they run out of stock which seems very often.

I did manager to return it and have the postage (€40 euro - rip off an post) returned from Amazon but only after a looooooooooonnnnnnng time. It took 2 months to sort out.

Amazon returns policy looks good online but believe me they are have no quality customer controls whatsover. I still have nightmares about post and phoneing.

So, the bottom line is yes they do EVANTUALLY pay up as their policy maintains but I will never buy anything with moveing parts from Amazon again,

jl

Advertisement