Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No More Smilies!

Options
  • 01-10-2003 11:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

I'm just saying, that's all.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

eh?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

In fairness, there has been plenty of bleating about the lack of smilies, which I thought the Admins* had addressed admirably with ww) wich obviously relates to all things troll-like given the nature of WWM.

However on returning from holidays I was awestruck by the benevolence of the Admins* in blessing us all with two more - but of an inscrutable nature. For instance hovering over :horned: just gives "horned.gif" and :f33r: gives "ph33r.gif" as opposed to something useful like "confused" and "big grin"

Then I realised that this must surely be a test (or something) and the new smiles must be named - properly.

So given that :f33r: is really the Odlums brand, and Odlums make flower, :f33r: must refer to all thing flourly or flowery or in their flowers :D

That other thing I don't have a clue about.

* Bless them in their magnificence

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The Odlums :f33r: is evil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭gimme

:f33r:
    is ace

Yes but it's still evil.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Originally posted by Borzoi
    In fairness, there has been plenty of bleating about the lack of smilies
    Indeed. From fúcktards. The regular smilies I can handle, these new smilies are for fúcktards. I can turn avatars and sigs off if I want, but I'm stuck with these stupid things being plastered all over the shop like so much dog poop.

I'm just saying, that's all. The ninja, the wwm and the horned helmet are for fúcktards. The Odlums one is kinda cute, I'll admit, but it's there for a fúcktarded reason, which is quite possibly worse. ph33r? What are we, twelve?

I'm just saying, that's all. I don't expect anything to change.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MarcusGarvey

Adam, I think this can all be sorted out with a nice warm fúcktard smilie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Leave the smilies alone.

What did they ever do to you, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Indeed. From fúcktards. The regular smilies I can handle, these new smilies are for fúcktards. I can turn avatars and sigs off if I want, but I'm stuck with these stupid things being plastered all over the shop like so much dog poop.

I'm just saying, that's all. The ninja, the wwm and the horned helmet are for fúcktards. The Odlums one is kinda cute, I'll admit, but it's there for a fúcktarded reason, which is quite possibly worse. ph33r? What are we, twelve?

adam

What exactly are you trying to say here?

.logic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by logic1
    What exactly are you trying to say here?

that you are just a 12 year old
    which, in fact, isn't far from the truth!
    :D :horned: :f33r: :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

:f33r: is actually the work of Satan.

I heard that somewhere, honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The WWMan smiley is actually fairly auld, there even used to be a Dav smiley somewhere.

Some of the new smileys are sh1te (well, the horns one is) but that shouldn't discourage the hard work and effort (pff) of the mods who introduce them to the Boards Experience. I wouldn't agree with the request of 'No More Smilies', but perhaps 'No More Crap Smilies' mightn't be a bad idea.

I actually thought :f33r: was something out of Wipeout the very first time I saw it :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭gimme

adam

I entirely disagree, and I won't back up my statement either.

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    See? Fúcktarded.
    Originally posted by gimme
    I entirely disagree, and I won't back up my statement either.
    A seven-post user's opinion is really important to me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

A seven-post user's opinion is really important to me.

That's nice.

This ZERO POST USER is thinking about going to look for more crappy smileys.

Stop being so Cústarded.

Originally posted by ecksor
    I'm being oppressed by the Man!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭s8n

sigh.....some people eh.....:rolleyes:

:ninja:

:f33r:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Beruthiel
    that you are just a 12 year old
    which, in fact, isn't far from the truth!

Stop following me. I really have to agree with Adam now. Smiley users are fúcktarded.

Maybe we should have a fúcktard smiley which can be used as an ironic gesture to every smiley put in every post.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

I have been using the Internet for about 12 years and have sent countless emails and posted thousands of messages on newsgroups in that time.

I have never once used a smiley. I have been able to express myself just fine without using emoticons.

Amn't I great?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

The new smileys are stupid and have no use other than spam.

ww) :horned: :f33r: :ninja: ww) :o :eek: :( :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Originally posted by ecksor
    That's nice.

Stop being so Cústarded.

Unban tbh ***, please. :f33r:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I agree with adam, the ninja, the viking and the odlums logo are useless, I think i remember DeV saying he only wanted smileys that represented a feeling or whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Truckle
    I agree with adam, the ninja, the viking and the odlums logo are useless, I think i remember DeV saying he only wanted smileys that represented a feeling or whatnot.
    Like this one where you want to call someone a cow?

works better like this
    attachment.php?s=&postid=1139573

Eh why aren't images working?

Originally posted by DeVore
    nice, well-defined smilies are welcome.

I use :/ all the time to mean... "hmmmm not so sure about what, thinking... please wait"

DeV.
    Ahh here we go.

I Wish to meet whoever thinks viking smileys, ninjas and odlums logos are "nice, well-defined smilies"

It has come to my attention that the odlums thing is in some way lucutus and mark related. Still though, it means fuck all to 99% of boards, which is why its silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've found a use for one of them -

This from a recent post -
    Idiots the lot of them...they should be impailed on :horned: and garotted with co-axial!

When are we going to get an :embarassed: smilie?

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    When are we going to get an :embarassed: smilie?
    how about these ones :o (embarassment) or :eek: (eek)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Nah, embarassed has a red hue :)

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:o - this looks like pontificating to me
    . . . speaking while looking down your nose at someone

:horned: - this is a hells angel

:f33r: - this is his bike (*** its trés cool - and ethnic)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor
    works better like this
    attachment.php?s=&postid=1139573

Eh why aren't images working?

Possibly because you are not linking directly to an image file (i.e. cow.gif )

Advertisement