Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No More Smilies!

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Heh, and the Annual Boardsie Irony Award goes to AngelWhore, for posting the first actual rant in this thread. :D

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    What are you tits doing on the internet!?
    I went looking for kinky stuff, then someone tied me up and wouldn't let me leave boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by dahamsta
    Heh, and the Annual Boardsie Irony Award goes to AngelWhore, for posting the first actual rant in this thread. D)

I prefer to call them uninhibitted bouts of expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I always turn off graphical smilies whenever I can when I use chat clients like Trillian. I suggest a similar option in vB. You know, replacing :) with :).

I know I would opt for this. I use the occasional smiley, but if I see a post that is filled with smilies, I automatically sense that there is little actual content in the post itself.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Originally posted by swiss
    if I see a post that is filled with smilies, I automatically sense that there is little actual content in the post itself.

Actually, on a similar note, I'm wondering about the usefulness of a filter that detects if a signature in a post is significantly longer than the actual content of the post and being able to filter on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Originally posted by ecksor
    Actually, on a similar note, I'm wondering about the usefulness of a filter that detects if a signature in a post is significantly longer than the actual content of the post and being able to filter on that.
    Lol ecksor. You have had a few classics recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Theres an ecksor fan club starting too with the sigs it seems. Everyones quoting ecksor. Pfffft.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

...and a filter that limits sigs to 'once per thread' or at least 'once per page' while yer at it, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

kittencake smiley forever

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Actually I'd use a filter for smileys to be turned back into ascii. (or more accurately... not to be replaced by images in the first place)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

That would be choice. I wonder if there's a switch for it in vB3. You know, when it's released in 2006.

adam

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

dont even start me on how over due that piece of software is. and people are complaining about HL2? Anyway, I would really like to think it was in vb3. But then EVERY OPTION WE EVER WANTED WILL BE IN VB3...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

boo hiss horny smiley, odlums smiley, boo hiss,

how about a vote,
    the other smilies, ninja, albino wwman came from some thread or other,

where the hell did the 2 new ones spawn from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

I wish people would read the threads they post on before they post...

Then we'd all be livin' the dream baby. Oh Yes. *nod*

:f33r:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

meaning this?
    Originally posted by Lucutus
    btw, it represents an unspeakable ev1l,

and btw it doesnt, it represents a brand of porridge,

porridge. that is all it represents.
    are we clear on this?

good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Originally posted by Panda
    where the hell did the 2 new ones spawn from?

I was refering to the above quote, the answer to which is clearly within this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

*nervously puts hand up*

Er, the viking one may have been my fault for showing it to Angelwhore.

Please don't kill me.

Originally posted by Panda
    and btw it doesnt, it represents a brand of porridge,

porridge. that is all it represents.
    are we clear on this?

I always thought that they were better known for their flour and associated baking products actually. I'm sure their porridge sells, but I bet that flahavans have the dominant position in the Irish porridge market.

I'm sorry, but if we're going to be clear, we should be absolutely clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Your all insane!

and....what the hell is this :f33r:

Bring in the msn messenger smilies imo

smile.jpg

http://www.lrc.ie/research_and_publications/food_industry/11.htm
    Odlums, (acquired by Greencore in 1991) has 50% of the Irish flour market. Its nearest competitor, Bolands (acquired by IAWS), has 25%, whilst the remainder is controlled by UK millers.

http://www.checkout.ie/MarketProfile.asp?ID=6
    Flahavan?s maintains that the hot oats market is currently worth ?7.62 million, and that over one million servings of its porridge brand are consumed each week in Ireland. The company says that its combined brands account for 65% of the market.

I think somebody is owed an apology.

On a related note, having reviewed the Flahavans website and the level of detail there about their porridge and porridge related products, I have no doubt in my mind that Flahavans progress oatlets are the right choice for my early morning nutrition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

indeed
    Flahavan's Progress Oatlets
    Flahavan's Progress Oatlets is Ireland's favourite porridge oats brand. Flahavan's select only the finest Irish oats. These oats are then carefully dried and cleaned in preparation for milling.
    Odlums is Ireland's leading flour and oatmeal milling company. Suppliers of premium quality flours, wholemeals, bread mixes and oatflakes for household, bakery and industrial uses

really interesting stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by Alany
    indeed

really interesting stuff..
    And without a smiley in sight, how are we supposed to know that's sarcasm*

*Please God, let it be sarcasm....though irony would be okay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

dont see why your getting your knickers so much in a twist over some smileys.. wacky.gif

i personally like smiles and dont see a problem with them, they can even sum up sometimes what i think without me having the need to put it in writing..

i.e for this thread i could just have used ->

gives.gif

which pretty much sums up my feelings on this post...

anyway thats just my twocents.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Originally posted by Borzoi
    And without a smiley in sight, how are we supposed to know that's sarcasm
    You use your intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

You use your intelligence.

Aha, stumbling block!

Originally posted by ecksor

On a related note, having reviewed the Flahavans website and the level of detail there about their porridge and porridge related products, I have no doubt in my mind that Flahavans progress oatlets are the right choice for my early morning nutrition.

Agreed they are altogether tasty too, but use some sugar rather than salt to add to the flavour.

mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Originally posted by Shinji
    Aha, stumbling block!
    Yeah, nice one Shinji!

Which supports the assertion that people who make too much use of emoticons are either retarded or too lazy to express themselves properly and that people who can't make a good guess at the tone of a post that doesn't contain smileys are either dumb or never learnt English comprehension.

Apologies to anyone I haven't insulted yet.

Advertisement