Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclock - Hardware

Options
  • 02-10-2003 12:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

Hey! I'm looking at getting a new PC soon and I just have some questions I'd like answered. (As I intend to overclock it)

What processor should i go for XP/P4 and what model?

What Motherboard is best for OCing?

What RAM should I use (and why)?

And what cooling solutions/brands you recommend.

Thanks in advance :)

-Preach

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

My thoughts:

Mobo:
    MoBo
    Abit IC-7 G, Max or standard depending on needs and budget

CPU:
    CPU
    P4 2.4Ghz (800Mhz FSB), is ideal mix of cost and practicality, go higher if you want and can afford to.

RAM:
    Corsair
    2 x matched 512Mb Corsair DDR400 PC3200
    They are rock solid and great for overclocking, Can be very expensive, so you may wanna look at the Value select range where 1Gb can be under €200 for a matched pair.

Case:
    Case
    I have a skyhawk Midi tower and i find it great, not the best or most expensive case but again really good value, and its fairly easy to stick in a few fans for extra air flow, ive added 2 extra, one blowing in and the other one blowing out, i have one similar to this one, but with a window and fan on the side and they chuck in a free cathode too!

I have the above system running at 3.21Ghz and its stable.
    Im amazed at what these parts can do, thats why im recommending them.
    Sean

Any other questions, id be happy to answer!
    2.4%20@%203.2.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

If you have a reasonably big budget then id definetly agree with rabbitinlights, that system would be killer.

Mobo wise id prob save a couple of bob and get the IC-7 (not the G) , the difference being gigabyte lan <- unless you have use for it.

Id prob go with the 2.6C for the reason , it has a higher multiplier. Id also go with Pc4000 Ram , set my FSB to 250mhz (1000), CPU would then be running @ 3.2ghz, Ram 1:1 @ 500mhz......... works out nice and simple and will have fantastic memory and CPU performance.

If the budget is tighter then 2.4c & pc3200 ram , or an AMD system.

www.pc-memory-upgrade.co.uk are prob the best around for memory and they are based in kildare, free delivery.

Loki

PS , Nice overclock rabbitinlights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

COL_LOKI is correct, get the plain IC-7 (i did!) and put the rest towards better ram, with the Pc4000 and the 2.6 it divides up sooooo well, But if its PC3200 and 2.4 you will need to twiddle a bit more but u will get it in the end......, if you can afford it go with the higher ones but if its a tight budget...........?

Thanks COL_LOKI, many a BSOD was seen while getting my baby stable.........

Its mainly stable from advice given here so thanks.
    Thank you.
    Sean

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Can be a nightmare sometimes cant it :) .

Am running an Xp2500+ watercooled with Pc4000 ram myself.

I can get the Xp2500+ running 100% Prime stable @ 2480mhz with an FSB of 210mhz
    or
    I can get the FSB up to a massive (for an AMD system) 245mhz (490mhz) and run it at 2320mhz.........

Im pulling my hair out trying to get it to do both!!

I prob should have gone for a system like yours rabbitinlights, but im a stuborn AMD guy :rolleyes: ........... ahh the late nights!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭[Preacher]

Great spec there Sean I'll definetly look into that, Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Preacher,
    Wait a few weeks because Intel are slashing their prices on CPUs (to counter AMD's Athlon64). The 3.2Ghz cpu will be about $200 cheaper!
    Desktop Pentium 4 price cuts of 15.5-34.5% planned for October 26 will bring the price for the top-tier 3.2GHz processor sharply lower to US$417 from US$637.
    http://www.digitimes.com/NewsShow/Article.asp?datePublish=2003/10/06&pages=A1&seq=2

I'm gonna get a 3.2 (instead of ATI 9800XT) and then build a BTX rig next year with PCI-E gfx.

Advertisement