Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pocket PC 2003 or Palm?

• 02-10-2003 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Im in the market for a new PDA. I had my eye on the Dell Axim X5. It looks sweet. but now the new X3 is comming soon and not only that, but palm has just release 3 new models (http://blog.lotas-smartman.net/archives/000898.php). i also see the sony clie's looking pretty cool. now my question is which one should i go for? pocket pc 2003 or a palm os? which, in your opinion, is better. and not just on software either. im looking for bluetooth, lots of ram and maybe a Compact flash slot. i know the X5 has all this (the bluetooth is an extra CF Card which comes in the wireless one for 450 euro). Thats an other concideration. price. any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

For apps, you just can't beat PalmOS. I've had a Palm in one form or another for the best part of 4 years and I have to say I really like the form, the functionality and the simplicity of use :) Most of the apps I still use were designed older models yet still work on newer ones - the backwards compatibility of apps is really really good.

This page here lists all current Palm OS models (don't forget there are also Sony/IBM PDAs that use Palm OS too!)

Completely biased, but worth a look

HTH ;)

PS, some newer models have bluetooth and or internal sim card facilities (not sure if the latter is US-only)

It is what it's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Hmmm. thanks for the link. i have a sony clie and its ok, but it has its flaws. the palm link is biased totally! like the fact it says under palm that it supports: Built-in SD/MMC, Compact Flash, Springboard and Memory Stick and under Pocket PC: Only Compact Flash and PC cards. Some products include an SD/MMC slot. now, tell me if im wrong here but the springboard is owned by, and propritary hardware of handspring? :confused: and the memory stick is sony and propritary too. CF cards are quite handy and smae with PC Cards, which are cheaper and more available. so, thats totally biased! :D but handy none the less! so, any in favour of the PPC? lets weigh up the differences!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by lotas
    like the fact it says under palm that it supports: Built-in SD/MMC, Compact Flash, Springboard and Memory Stick
    True, that's a bit ambiguous. What it means is that Handspring supports Springboard on PalmOS, Sony supports Memory Stick on PalmOS and some other brand supports Compact Flash - once again using PalmOS.

It is what it's.

Advertisement