Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about Dublin

Options
  • 02-10-2003 5:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey everyone. I'm going to study abroad in Dublin, Ireland next semester, and I was wondering if anyone can give me any info about the area (things to do, things not to do, etc.). I keep hearing things about the crime there that are sort of freaking me out. I live in New York City, and I know people exaggerate about the crime here, so can anyone tell me if that's the case in this situation too? I also read something on the internet that people are racist there. That surprised me because most of the people who have been there told me the opposite. But then again, none of them were Korean. Can you guys tell me what's up with that too? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Being irish myself i can assure you that the irish are mostly the most racist buch of ásshóles your ever likely to meet. i've lived in south africa for a few years and i'd rather be an ethnic minority there then over here!!

as for the crime.. i've also heard a hell of a lot about it.. but as it happens i or my friends are yet to be affected first hand by it.. i must have good Karma or something...

as for places to go... well whelans can't be beat really. but if you just got to college socials you'll be doing grand.. so what college are you going to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Morello

Hi Ya,

I'm from Milan and have been living in Dublin for the last three years... actually, I never experienced any real racism here so I wouldn't worry about that.

It's true that people sometimes look at me like if I was from Mars :) or are surprised by some of my habits, ways, thoughts, etc. but generally everybody's been lovely to me even though I'm going to kill the next one that goes like: "Ah, you're not Irish, are you Spanish..?" :D

You must understand that the "invasion" of foreigners here is quite a recent thing, people are starting to get use to it only now...

Violence on the streets instead is quite a problem... most of the people are cool but there's a minorance of scumbags who can get you into a lot of troubles. However, I think you're pretty much safe if you avoid walking alone at night in deserted areas... stick to the main streets and you'll be fine... I learned this the hard way :rolleyes:

however, I really love to leave here so, once you get used to the ****y wheather :), you're going to have a great fun

Good luck!

Alex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

Originally posted by Tyrrial
    i've lived in south africa for a few years and i'd rather be an ethnic minority there then over here!!

Really? That's amazing! Because all the white south africans I've ever met have all - without exception - been racist in a very passive sort of way.

There is racism, and it's on the increase because we've never had a significant foreign population. But it would be nothing like the racism that would be prevalent in America.

As for crime: like in all big cities, you have to be aware. I lived in Chicago for a while a couple of years back, and I would say I felt safer in Chicago, but then I didn't go in to the rough areas. As someone else said: keep to the main streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 esy74

I'm not actually going to a college. I'm doing an internship for credit, so I don't know exactly where I'll be as of yet. I'm guessing Dublin City.

Are people really that racist? Not only am I an American, I'm a Korean-American, so I guess I'll be getting a lot of sh*t. Someone told me that people are gonna assume that I don't speak English and I work at McDonald's. Haha...
    It's understandable though. Most homogenous countries are like that. Korea is REALLY bad. Even I got discriminated against when I went there because I was from New York. I'm not really used to that kind of stuff though because NYC is pretty diverse and open-minded.

Any other helpful hints? I need to find alternative ways to meet people because I won't be at a school and I won't get to meet other students.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

My housemate is korean and we went to a gig and people thought she was a glass collector!!

Oriental asians are stereotypically thought of as macdonalds workers/cleaners etc etc, how many have you seen drinking in pubs clubs.... not many.

My friend has a few friends and tends to cook and have friends round as going out can cause embarrassing problems as I mentioned before. This is not my white caucasian view its what I see.

Alex, was gonna ask your advice last week, as I went over to Milano last weekend. Feckin deadly place, not really a drinkin hole but very nice place.

• Advertisement

the asian people in new york drink and party like crazy. and when i spent the summer in korea, everyone drank every night of the week until 3-4 am. i guess the asian people in ireland don't do much.

i don't want to have to spend my nights holed up in my apartment because people are gonna sterotype me. is it really going to be that bad? i guess i'll have to try to break some stereotypes.

why did people assume your housemate was a glass collector? what does that have to do with being asian? is she a westernized korean person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭sanvean

Originally posted by esy74
    why did people assume your housemate was a glass collector? what does that have to do with being asian? is she a westernized korean person?

Because most of the asian community don't go out drinking like the irish tend to. And some of them work in bars. so they put two and two together ...

Really? The Asian people there don't drink? It's probably because most of the Asians there are Chinese. Koreans are known among the Asian community for how much they drink.

Personally, I love to drink. Maybe a little too much.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Personally, I love to drink. Maybe a little too much.............

I don't think you'll have much of a problem here in that case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Kurdt

one of my best friends is vietnamese and, as far as i know, shes never had a problem in these here parts and she comes out drinking with me quite a bit... not to say that i've never heard of racism and violence here... i've just never been directly involved, and none of my friends neither... maybe i've got good karma too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭antwalsh

The orientals in Ireland are mainly chinese. I heard there were as much as 50,000 of them here now. They are nearly all students. So therefore they need to work to pay their fees. They are technically only allowed to work for a maximum of 20 something hours a week (of course lots of them work for a lot longer) so the only jobs they can get are working in shops/McDonalds. As for them going out - some of them don't have the money others do. Mostly they go to restaurants or meet up at each others house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

> Most homogenous countries are like that.

monoglot => one race
    homogenous => mixed
    Methinks you meant monoglot.
    I hope I got that right.
    There's nothing worse than a pedantic poster in the wrong.

Monoglot means speaking one language. Homogenous means displaying similar traits/same throughout. Like homogenized milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Having lived in New York and Dublin, I'd definitely say Dublin is worse as far as street crime goes. Probably because New York is so overpopulated that you very rarely find yourself walking down a deserted street. I've had attempts to steal my bag in New York, London, Berlin and Paris, but Dublin's the only place where the feckers have succeeded!

Travelling in groups is safer, but not 100% scumbag-proof. Just keep an eye on your surroundings and never look like you're lost! Carrying an extra wallet with a small bit of cash and no working cards is a good idea too, you can hand that over to a thief while your real wallet is concealed somewhere else.

As for racism, you probably will come across a bit (often unintentional), but don't let it stop you from going out. The more Asian people who go out and integrate themselves into Irish nightlife the more Irish people will get used to it. If you're single, you'll find that you score way more easily than at home too, due to novelty value! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

i have to say as far as safety's concerned, as a fairly scrawny girl, i walk home every night in dublin, it's around a mile from where my friends live to where i live, through 2completely dark lanes, and i've never had a word said to me or anything done to me. ever. well actually i had my bag stolen once, nut that was on henry street in the midddle of the day on s saturday 2 days before Christamasso if it' can happen then it could definitely happen absolutely anywhere.
    i think it's fairly safe, just dont put yourslef in bad situations at night.
    and i have plenty of foreign friends, mainly from south africa, and they never get abuse, bar the 'abuse' from little kids asking about their skateboards..

*and if you'd prefer to be an ethnic minority in SA than here, go to one homeland outside any big town over there. that'll change your mind pretty ****in sharpish.*

Someone really tried to steal your bag in NYC? I've lived there all my life and nothing like that has ever happened to me. It's so crowded on the streets and usually, people are pretty good samaritans here. Someone will usually try to stop someone if they were doing something like that.

I know the crime in Dublin must be bad only in certain areas. It's the same anywhere you go. I just want to know where not to go because I don't know anyone there, so I don't think I'll always have someone to accompany me everywhere I go.

I definitely feel what you're saying about the whole "novelty" thing. Non-Asian guys here are like that too even though Asian girls aren't a rarity. :p

Originally posted by butterfly

*and if you'd prefer to be an ethnic minority in SA than here, go to one homeland outside any big town over there. that'll change your mind pretty ****in sharpish.*

Having lived in the country for a few years i know what it's like outside the city of pretoria. but i was making my point based on the reacion of the general public to ethnic minorities.
    and to put it as simply as i can to you:

It's better to walk through the streets of pretoria being different then it is to do the same in dublin city....

ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

I've been to NY several times and you're far more likely to see (or get into) fights in Dublin.
    Never had to 'be on the defensive' walking the streets in New York.
    O'Connell st on a Saturday night is a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Kopf

Sure we're a great laugh!

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0529/student.html - Eireann: an tír míle fhailte!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭butterfly

i was making my point based on the reacion of the general public to ethnic minorities.
    point accepted, i took you up wrong. apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tiggertigger

it all depends on what streets in NY you decide to walk methinks.
    Across 110th Street, as the song goes, one had better be careful
    how one proceeds.

Definitely. 110th is East Harlem. You don't want to find yourself walking through Harlem by yourself at night. Actually, you don't want to be anywhere uptown at night. It's kind of funny too because right under Harlem are the upper East and West sides. Those are the richest neighborhoods in Manhattan. Cross the street and you'll get shot. :p NYC is really fun though. I recommend that everyone come and visit. I was actually at a bar downtown last weekend and I was outside smoking a cigarette and two extremely drunk Irish guys asked me for directions. One of them had really long dreadlocked orange hair. Is that a big trend over there? :)

One of them had really long dreadlocked orange hair. Is that a big trend over there? :)

Hell No!!
    most people are horifficly "average"...

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭James Hunt

Hell No!!
    most people are horifficly "average"...

What are you talking about. I have long orange dreadlocks.
    So has my brother.
    And his friend.

So, its a big trend. If you want to fit in, I suggest you do it before you come over.

Originally posted by James Hunt
    What are you talking about. I have long orange dreadlocks.
    So has my brother.
    And his friend.

So, its a big trend. If you want to fit in, I suggest you do it before you come over.

OH NO!!! the frear of not fitting in has completely taken over!!!
    MUST GET ORANGE DREADLOCKS!!!

i'll risk loosing what little popularity i already have.*

*i'm not sure if sarcasum can be convayed very well though boards so i want to make it clear that is the case here.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

I was actually at a bar downtown last weekend and I was outside smoking a cigarette

well, at least that's one thing about ireland that'll make you feel at home very quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Originally posted by beardedchicken
    well, at least that's one thing about ireland that'll make you feel at home very quickly!

ROFLMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nena

I did a study in college, on the relation between crime stats and fear of crime on Dublin's streets. Dublin dwellers fear crime as much as New Yorkers, even though our crime levels aren't nearly as high. If you've got a good sense of 'cop on' (street sense) , which I assume u do having lived in NY, you'll be fine.

One thing you will have to learn though, is how to deal with sarcasim. We fork it out in the truck load here. You literally can't hold a conversation with anyone without it coming into play. Some of my American friends love it, others just don't get it. But I just thought I'd let you know in case you think everyone is just rude!

As for getting to know people, Id say renting accomodation with strangers is always a good start. Not that you'll force yourself upon them but they can always let you know about where to meet people etc...Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

Originally posted by beardedchicken

laughing my boobies off...class

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Nena
    I did a study in college, on the relation between crime stats and fear of crime on Dublin's streets. Dublin dwellers fear crime as much as New Yorkers, even though our crime levels aren't nearly as high. If you've got a good sense of 'cop on' (street sense) , which I assume u do having lived in NY, you'll be fine.

One thing you will have to learn though, is how to deal with sarcasim. We fork it out in the truck load here. You literally can't hold a conversation with anyone without it coming into play. Some of my American friends love it, others just don't get it. But I just thought I'd let you know in case you think everyone is just rude!

As for getting to know people, Id say renting accomodation with strangers is always a good start. Not that you'll force yourself upon them but they can always let you know about where to meet people etc...Best of Luck

The only reason crime levels are much higher here is because it's a bigger city. If you compare the ratio of crime to population in Dublin and in NYC, it would probably be the same. I've spent most of my life in a pretty tame area of NYC (the suburbs), so crime hasn't been much of an issue for me.

I don't have a problem with sarcasm. If anything, my friends get annoyed at how sarcastic I am. Plus, it takes a lot to offend me, so I think I'd enjoy the sense of humor you have over there.

The program I'm going on is going to place me with a roommate who is on the same program as me, so I guess we'll just wander around together. I'll stick to the major streets.

Thanks for the info!

Advertisement