Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Offensive Boards Beer Ad.?

Options
2»

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by davej
    Boards Paintball

Take a shot and you'll feel almost Republican

A few more and you'll be blowing up Omagh.

What is the difference between the boards beer ad and the above?

<snip>
    Is it just that this is a little closer to home and fresher in our minds?

Yes.

How about this:

One shot and you'll think your Caesar.
    A few more and you'll be invading Gaul!

Does that offend you? Arguably many many more people died in Gaul then in Omagh... are you not appalled?

Or is it history?

/me wipes hands... oh look, I'm done.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Also ... what Corinthian said. If the banner made fun of a concentration camp, or the holocaust it would be over the line in my book. Also, I wont be putting up any Omagh banners.

Theres a line of good taste. This was just on the "ok" side of that line as all edgy humour is.

If you are wondering who decides where that line is? I do. :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

You'll feel like blowing up Omagh...

Now that is funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Nothing like a good piece of bad to advertise good things to bad masses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

For what it's worth, I thought it was a little OTT. Not much, just a little. I wouldn't say that I find it offensive, but I do think it's just a little bit cheap and tasteless. It's gutter humour, which is fine in it's place, but I don't think banner ads are the place.

Humour depends heavily on audience, what's acceptable is defined by who's listening or watching. You can get away with being offensive at a comedy club because people are prepared for it and used to it, whereas with the same material you'd be lifted out of a cabaret show.

Boards has a big audience, most of whom wouldn't have a problem with this, but there's a big difference here: This isn't a show. People choose to go to a show, usually based on recommendations from others. On Boards, you have no choice, the banners are pushed out to everyone.

Like I said, I don't have much of a problem with the ad, but I think it's worth remembering the size and breadth of the audience of banner ads here. Oh, and I didn't think it was very funny either. The Oktoberfest idea was good, but the copy just fell flat. Sorry ****, but very weak.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Roller Toaster

I don't mind it too much but I'm a bit miffed by this one:

adimage.php?filename=bb4banner2.png&contenttype=png

I'm sure theres some hidden joke to it, I'm just not seeing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

It's a parody of a Public Enemy album/song, Fear of a Black Planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I think its hard sometimes to figure how to take things in a text based format.

[Sykeirl Tangent(tm)]

One of my favourite comediens is Dylan Moran. I saw him early in the year and he did a huge "Pro-Bush" skit where he used a good deal of racist propaganda (towelheads etc.). but it was all satire and the absurdity of what he was saying made a much stronger statement than "Isn't Georgie a muppet" would have.
    Now racism is something that sometimes makes me physically sick but sometimes, you have to see humour or satire in the situation.

[/tangent]

My point....... well I think really you can tell from can text whether its meant badly or not and people should be sensible enough to take a joke as a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I don't see how it refers to the holocaust, I suppose it could be offensive to Germans but then again so will that Fawlty Towers episode about not metioning the war. It is a little tastless but that's why its funny.

Personally I found the Iraqi Minister for Information one a little bit closer to the line than ****'s current offering but it was still good.

The "Fear of a Black Pint" is a dig at Stormfront I'm sure... Its actually my favourite of the lot.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Originally posted by DeVore
    The "Fear of a Black Pint" is a dig at Stormfront I'm sure... Its actually my favourite of the lot.

DeV.

Hehehe...

How about

"Come to Boards Beers and sit on the Left" :)

Considering I'm obviously a PRO-LOYALIST ADMINISTRATOR OF BOARDS.IE I think we should march *through* McTurkails on the way to The White Horse. I mean, its historic... innit!

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by DeVore

DeV.

Not really, I just like the Public Enemy logo. But if Stormfront don't like it well that just makes me happier.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

This is probably more offensive than any banner I've seen so far, but every time I look at it I can't help laughing:

http://cult.port5.com/work/SA%20Faves/klon.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Beer Baron

Look- I'll do the funny walk!
    This is probably more offensive than any banner I've seen so far, but every time I look at it I can't help laughing:

Entire roomfull of square customers turn around to see what in the hell that hairy maniac hiding behind is monitor is laughing at.

Humour is when people suffer that aren't me.
    I guess my definition of humour is different to others.

(For the record I know a couple of Germans who found the banner hilarious)

Advertisement