Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea V Besiktas (includes score)

• 02-10-2003 9:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭

started so positively but then sloppy defending from a fk and went in off JT then the heads dropped and Frank Veron and Claude weren't running the midfield like they did before the goal, then a moment of madness from Marcel made it 0-2 and they never looked back, first fatal error by Claudio taking off 2 strikers who weren't doing badly one would have been suffice but it mean't everytime Bridge and Duff puts balls in the second half only JFh was there, Geremi got nothing out of the LB worked hard but there was a huge space behind him no cover at all poor William twisted his ankle and cause CFC made 3 subs one endforced (Baba) they couldn't do anything he just stayed out on the wing.
    we have to perorm against Boro.:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭SCULLY

Had to happen sooner or later - CFC loose a game and get slaughtered in the press - as Souness said on tv last night , a lot of people will be very happy because of this result.

CFC started vey brightly and looked totally in control for the first 20 mins or so, and a goal looked on the cards. Unfortunatly , it went to Besiktas totally against the run of play (defenders switched off and a deflection gave Cudicini no chance). Desailly made a complete mess of a very simple long ball and Cudicini compounded the error : 2-0 and though Duff and JFK came on at half-time, Besiktas defended excellently and that was that.

Can't have any complaints : CFC battered the defence in the second half and yet their keeper was never really tested - 2 or 3 good free kick oppertunities didn't even hit the target.

CFC's great start to the season has made poeple forget that this side has only been together for a few months and will get better.

Very poor result, but thanks to the group format , it ain't over yet.
    The away game to Boro on Sunday will tell us a few things about their character though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by SCULLY
    and though Duff and JFK came on at half-time...
    I saw Duff coming on but JFK, I thought he was shot dead?;)

Anyway, I really don't know how Chelsea didn't get a goal. When Besiktas went down to 10 men I thought that was it for them but the keeper didn't even get tested, although Gallas wasn't exactly playing.

I was never fond of Ranieri, although I don't think he deserves the sack because he has done nothing really wrong. But that is the second match now in the cl that he started with no wingers. Geremi and Babayaro/Bridge were wing backs which meant they had to keep an eye on the whole wing and defend when needed. Also, Geremi is actually a central player, not a winger. When Duff came on they had more room to spread the ball and they kept more possetion (<spelling:confused:). He put Duff on at half time against Prague which means he knew it wasn't working without a winger but to leave out a left winger again is ridiculous. If he put Duff on at half time again he must surely know to play a winger from the start the next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Originally posted by smuckers
    then a moment of madness from Marcel made it 0-2 and they never looked back
    Dessailly slipped which was mainly because of the rain but don't you think the moment of madness was by Cudicini. The shot came in and he jumped over the ball, what was he up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

very spectacular jump it was too , i have no idea what he was doing and i don't think he did either , maybe he though marcel was going to head it into his hands , weird and most unlike him.

last night reinforced my opinion that veron is a donkey and shouldn't be on the pitch at all.

I sorta made sense to change the attacking formation but why claudio thought that jimmy could do any better than crespo or mutu is beyond me , taking one of them off and bringing duff on would be sensible as the attacking choices were better but as it turned out it was a costly gamble as soon as gallas started hurting, we were really down to 10 also.

Also worth mentioning the besiktas fans who were amazing , never stopped singing all through the game, shame their players were so unsporting in their attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Hairy Homer

Lost at home to a bunch of Turks!!!!

That'll keep the Head Hunters happy.

:horned:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

head hunters are all in old folks homes by now , thankfully.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by smuckers
    started so positively but then sloppy defending from a fk and went in off JT then the heads dropped and Frank Veron and Claude weren't running the midfield like they did before the goal, then a moment of madness from Marcel made it 0-2 and they never looked back, first fatal error by Claudio taking off 2 strikers who weren't doing badly one would have been suffice but it mean't everytime Bridge and Duff puts balls in the second half only JFh was there, Geremi got nothing out of the LB worked hard but there was a huge space behind him no cover at all poor William twisted his ankle and cause CFC made 3 subs one endforced (Baba) they couldn't do anything he just stayed out on the wing.
    we have to perorm against Boro.:mad:
    Seriously smuckers, would it be that hard to occasionally use some punctuation? that is fupping hard to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Kaids I was in a huge rush. Veron was good for the first 20 mins link up play with the midfield strikers was v good but then faded. Frank Lampard did well, but in the second half there was only one striker in the box so everytime the midfield gained possession they had to play it wide to Duff/Geremi. Beskitas defending was superb though.

Advertisement