Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netsoc?

• 02-10-2003 12:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

Did anything come of the roumers of a Networking society starting up in the college this year? I want a free shell account!!!!! (another one!)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

see the what is compsoc about thread the second page,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

not gonna happen dont think ...

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

wont be enough ppl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I'd have thought it'd have been pretty popular for the 3rd years upwards who are more into their work than playing the auld games (which is all very well and good). I students linux box like 303 but with more privelages would attract lots of members I'd say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Was talking to Steve bout it fair bit last night...
    Got some interesting ideas ... suppose main thing is how to go about it.

[**edit*]
    Out of Interest ... People who'd be interested in joining, or who would join [No Games, thats what compsoc is for] just post so have idea how many would be interested.

[Unsure yet what exactly would provide to people ... however thinking about it, and have some initial ideas. Shell with SSH/FTP at least ... probably mail if people wanted it ...]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

i'd join cos i want to learn more about networking and linux and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

At the moment lab 303 is the only way to get a shell account from within the college, I'm using my logon from last year, which won't be there for much longer I'd say. if you want to learn linux it'd be a good place to start from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

i'd consider joining too, my knowledge of networking is questionable to say the less and i'm a 2nd year networking student...........Again.........................ARGH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Redrocket

yeah well, it works two ways. either we get accounts on linux303, which we dont really want, or we get accounts on a box of our own. both are very very hard to do as the college does not like students. everything hardware and software wise works at the moment so why should they change it??? another thing, accounts will be severely monitered. and i think one of the main things they will monitor would be bandwitdh. so that means whoever is joinin netsoc would have the shell, but downloading would be practically forbidden. ssh hopefully, http hopefully ftp unlikely but hopefully. so basicly, leechers **** off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

can i ask whats gonna sound like a really stupid question to most of yee..................

Why do we want shell accounts??
    Where is the advantage??
    Is it just a speed / bandwidth thing or what??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd be interested in joining.

Best way to deter leeching is to simply set small disk quotas I think.

was talking to Ivor yesterday on the bus home and he told me that the netsoc has been partially setup. he doesnt know much about it, but it was setup by two fourth year networkers. there are three machines, not sure what operating systems. and they are not connected to the network ( thats netsoc for you :) ). after that dont really know a whole lot. i think it has email, chat server and one or two other ****ty features. have to try and find out who the two guys were in charge of it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

hah

what a fabulously useful resource a chat server/mail server would be with no network connection.

i dunno why they have a chat server when, they dont want you to use the computers for non-educational purposes and the only reason it could be there is for external access which they wouldn give?!?!?!?
    those boxes will probably never be hooked up to any connection internal or external

Advertisement