Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PS2 newbie questions

• 02-10-2003 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

A couple of 'complete newbie' questions for you, from a guy who just f***ed up his kids' PSOne trying to mod it and is now looking to buy a PS2 to redeem himself...! (Go on, s******...!)

1. I know the PS2 will play all the PSOne games, but will it also use PSOne controllers & memory cards? (i.e. should I just look for a console on its own?)

2. Can you back up PS2 games on ordinary CDRs, like the PSOne games? Any tips/advice on this would be much appreciated.

3. Apart from browsing Buy&Sell and the Classified boards here, is there anywhere reliable that sells 2nd-hand PS2 consoles?

Thanks,
    peckerhead

(My kids now call me something a little stronger... :( )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Question 1, controllers work, memory cards don't.

Question 2 will get you banned here.

Question 3 I could not find any decent secondhand consoles myself, save the usual, PS2 with 12 games worth 800 will sell 500 type things. In the end (and it took quite a while), I got one with 2 controllers and 2 games on here for 150 Euro. Apparently new PS2's are supposed to drop in price soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thanks for that, Quigs Snr. Maybe when the new model hits the stores for Christmas there'll be more of the old one available 2nd-hand...(?)

Regarding my question 2 — I hope not! I read the Charter before posting (having inadvertently put my foot in it once before!) and found "Discussion about chipping and general discussion of piracy is fine, and import games discussion is also fine". Anyway, surely there's nothing wrong with making/playing backups of games you already own? Humble apologies to the mods if I am out of order, 'though...

Thanks again,
    peckerhead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Controllers will work.
    Memory cards WILL work, but you have to use ps1 memory cards for ps1 games, and ps2 memory cards for ps2 games. So you can still play all your old ps1 games and use the saved games you have already.

Question 2 certainly shouldn't get you banned, esp if you are just backing up for personal use. Yes you can backup games so your original disc won't get scratched etc. But ps2 games generally come on dvds, so you have to strip out video sequences and often music to allow it to fit onto a cdr. You will also need some chipping done to your ps2 for them to work, but that said you'll be getting that done to play import games anyway.

Question 3, you're better of buying new and getting a warranty. Wait until the warranty is up before chipping, as it will void your warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

IF U go to 2nd gameshop on right close to bridge 200yardsons in talbot st they usually have second hand ps2 in boxs. with controller. price was 190euro last me i checked 6months ago but i think its gone down lower.i cant remember the name of shop..its not gameworld.its about 100 yards from connolly station...
    but gamesworld sell brand new ps2 for 200euro plus u get 50e voucher to buy games and 12months gaurantee. ITS hardly worth the trouble buying secondhand.
    i wouldnt even try to chip any ps1 or 2 complex alot easier to get a professional to do it ,,if u wanna play usimports games but
    its the quickest way to KILL YOUR CONSOLE.if ur buying a ps2 hold onto the reciept thats your gaurantee ,proof of purchase.
    the cheapest place to buy ps2 memory cards is electronics boutique mary st ,off o,connell st.25euro.its not worth the trouble goin thru buy nsell the ps2 ,s are sold almost instantly
    prbly be4 its in the newsagent.sometimes they have them in boards.ie for sale,,but they sell very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

To clarify Question 2, general discussion of warez and backups is fine, but discussing actual methods to copy discs (wether it's legal or not) is not.

I'd agree with the not buying 2nd hand. Besides, the price is going to drop and according to The Register (which got the story from www.gamesindustry.biz) a new cheaper, better DVD playing model (AND AVAILABLE IN L33T SILVER) should be on the shelves for Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by amp
    a new cheaper, better DVD playing model (AND AVAILABLE IN L33T SILVER) should be on the shelves for Xmas.

its been on the shelves of virgin since yesterday....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Indeed, and they may still be there for Xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

^LOL^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Okay, in order...

Question 1:

Yes, PSone controllers will work - but some PS2 games use the new special features of the PS2 controller (analogue buttons basically) so it's a good idea to pick up one of those. You get one of them with a console anyway.

PSone memory cards will work for PSone games, for PS2 games you need a PS2 memory card. Bit silly but that's the way it is.

Question 2:

You can't back up PS2 games onto CD, although you can back MOST of them up onto DVD if you have a DVD burner (some still don't work since they're double-layer discs).

It's worth pointing out that it's FAR harder to shag up a DVD game than it is to mess up a CD game, since they're much more resistant to scratching and the likes. However it's not really a console you want to do backups on, to be honest - it's a lot of effort.

Question 3:

I wouldn't buy second hand if I were you. PS2s are notorious for breaking down, and if you buy second hand you might find yourself in a position where you can't return it to Sony for repairs. The new ones have dropped in price this week anyway, as was pointed out earlier in the thread.

By the way, the shiny silver one comes bundled with two controllers, so it's actually a good deal even though it's a little more expensive than the standard one. PS2s now also come with much improved DVD playback and a remote control, so they make a good DVD player. Plus the silver one looks nice in the living room so there's more chance of her indoors allowing it in there without any grief ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thanks for all the sound advice, lads!

I'd been consoling myself (no pun intended! ;) ) with the thought that the thing would also double as a DVD player, so it certainly sounds like I should go for that 'new improved' model ...and NOT go testing my soldering skills on it!

peckerhead

• Advertisement
Advertisement