Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Laptop (Oct. 9th)

• 02-10-2003 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Just got back from Lidl in Blanchardstown.
    Dunno if this is a bargain but Lidl being Lidl it probably is :
    Here's what the flyer says (if I get time later I'll scan it and put into this thread).
    =================================
    available from Thursday 9th October. 1499.99 Euro
    AMD Athlon XP-M
    128kb first level cache
    512kb 2nd level cache
    front bus 266 mhz
    operates at 1.867 ghz and outperforms comparable 2.5ghz processors

free 32MB usb memory stick

richo combo-drive (writes 2.4x DVD+RW/R, 16x CD-R, 8x CD-RW) (reads 8xDVD, 24xCD)

1 year guarantee with pickup service and free phone hotline
    powerdvd incl.
    60GB Toshiba HD 2.5" 9.5mm 4200rpm
    512MB Samsung DDR-RAM Memory (400 mhz clock speed)
    ATI mobility Radeon 9600 graphics card, 64MB DD-RAM onboard

sound : 5.1 supported, 2 speakers and microphone included
    modem : 56k v90 modem incl.
    li-ion battery : 8cell 4000 mhz
    softare : windowsxp home edition; ms works suite 2003; panda virus software; cyberlink power dvd 5.1; pinaccle studio 8.4SE OEM instant CD/DVD burner software; OEM Pinnacle Studio 8.6SE (hollywood lite + T-Rex)

adaptor kit included : (misc. scart and s-video cables and adaptors)

4 in 1 card reader (Smart Media Card; Multi-Media Card; Secure Digital Card; Memory Stick Card)

Wireless Lan Card included : PCMCIA 11mbps 802.11b; antenna included

connections :
    1x firewire
    3x usb 2.0
    1x ps2
    1x parallel port
    1 x mic in
    1 x headphone out/SPDIF
    1 x RJ45
    1 x SVideo
    I also see an ethernet socket alongside the modem socket

screen : 1.51" TFT XGA monitor 1024x768)
    =====================================

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

Do you know what the chipset is? The last time I think it was VIA KT333 chipset.

LK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

well, the ram is 400Mhz so I'd assume the via chip is the same, does seem exceedingly good value though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lidl don't take credit cards , right? Do they take cheques? Particularly ones which are drawn on a credit card account?

And what time you think I'd be needing to start queuing to be getting myself one of these bad boys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

I think it's cash only.
    probably between 6 and 7am hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DjTaz

yeah do a scan on that - id like to see it myself and im only 5 mins drive from that place - just dont get much time 9-5 to go there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

sorry - can't do the scan. a certain person I'm married to tore it up and chucked it in the recycle bin. probably to remind me that I can't afford it :rolleyes:

if I'm near lidl this weekend I'll get another and scan it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

I picked it up today. I'll have a look here and see if I can find it and scan it in.

Like shabby, I ALSO have been reminded that I can't afford it AND I don't need it!

:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

OK

A lot of work later and here we go.
    I had to tear it up and scan it in 4 sections

Image 1 and
    The back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

thanks for the scan (missus was asking why I suddenly wanted to go to lidl....)

for those who asked - Lidl don't take credit cards, they take Laser Cards and Cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by Vorrtexx
    I think it's cash only.
    probably between 6 and 7am hehe.
    They take laser don't they? I'm pretty sure they do..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Gunther_Gloop

Nah. It needs a DVI port to make it a must-buy.

Isn't the firewire port DVI?

Can anyone see the SPDIF port in the picture, or is it some optical/headphone (same jack) arrangement? I was hoping it would be an RCA phono out (electrical)!

LK

Originally posted by LeperKing
    Isn't the firewire port DVI?

LK

No -it can't be used to output directly to a digital monitor/projector in the same way as a dvi port can (well as far as I know anyway).

-Kevin.

Can anyone see the SPDIF port in the picture, or is it some optical/headphone (same jack) arrangement? I was hoping it would be an RCA phono out (electrical)!

looking at the pics, it's probably they same sort of optical port as you get on Minidiscs. phone jack optical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

Where is Lidl?
    Is there just the one shop in the dublin area?
    I could be interested in one of those.
    Anyway idea how many they'd have in stock and what time i'd need to be getting there at?

Killian

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Locations are on the back of the scanned image above (barely legible).

Btw, about Laser...

Q. Is there a maximum transaction amount for Laser transactions?

A. Yes, Laser cannot be used to purchase any one item that has a value exceeding €1500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I'm in Dun Laoghaire, where's the closest one to me?
    I can't really make out the places on the pic.

Killian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

All gone in newbridge so I'm told.

Oh well couldn't afford a new one anyway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

All were gone in Blanchardstown by 9:30am they issued tickets to those who had been in the queue, some since 7am. So off i went to Finglas, Got the third last one there about 10am ish. :)

Mind you I did hear from the security bloke there that they would be getting more in this evening. Sounds unlikly but possible.

They are a lovely unit for the money.

Cal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Peter

In Galway I started queing just after 8:30 and I got the very last one. They only had 8 of them but they could have sold at least 20 of them or more judging by the amount of people queing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I know someone who got one around 12 Miday, he said it was second or third last, or a return maybe ?

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭rander00

Why do Lidl limit them, theres obviously the demand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

got myself one of them, lovely tille thing, specially liek the free case. well impressed

To those who did get it, what do they think of it.

How loud does it get when the fan is at full speed, and how hot can it get. etc... things you can't tell from the specs...

Cheers,
    LK

not loud at all undered high load, as for heat it seems pretty cool to touch even after i've had it on now about 9-10 hours. I like it, and it looks nice as well, better even then those semiems laptops. I was expected some poorly designed box of a thing, but i was surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Originally posted by Boston
    not loud at all undered high load, as for heat it seems pretty cool to touch even after i've had it on now about 9-10 hours. I like it, and it looks nice as well, better even then those semiems laptops. I was expected some poorly designed box of a thing, but i was surprised.

Ditto. Very nice unit indeed. Not as slim as the new Siemens but quieter and better spec for the money.

Nice the way all the little extras are included. USB key drive, Wireless network card, Case, All the cables for connecting to TV etc.

Now to get my hands on some blank DVD's........

Cal

yeah,
    including a free laptop case I thought was a real bonus.
    all the extra cables were nice too as mentioned.

and the DVD burner works well, I tested it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭ozmo

Originally posted by LeperKing
    To those who did get it, what do they think of it.

Got one myself from Blanch(2) - I was there at 8:05am and got ticket#4 of 8 Laptops. All gone by 8:10am.

Software (Not listed in the initial description)
    Extras was very nice - software bundle included Xp Home, Word, MS Encarta, Autoroute, MS Map, and very nice Pinicle Video Editing software. Some good DVD burning software and Power DVD 5 and a full DIVX licence.

Hardware (Not listed in the initial description):
    Case was an extra 1 cent :) 32meg USB Pen Drive was an unexpeced pressie - i expeced a silly sony stick from the description.
    Came with 12Mbit wireless card and a built in Flash card reader and an external pcmcia Compact Flash Reader. Also came with a (silly?) mp3 player built in - plays mp3s without booting windows- controls on the outside of the case.
    5.1 Sound is via optical - but I think electrical may work also??
    Got the tiny optical portable mouse also(12 euros).

Started testing: My Findings:

1. Initially very disappointed at Benchmarks - Jedi Academy Playable with low visuals - then i realised that it always runs at HALF SPEED when on batteries. So plugged it in and the Radion 9600 really flies at all the TOP Settings. Benched faster than than my dual p3 desktop with borrowed Radion 9700 :) very happy.

2. Very little heat while on batteries, fan off a lot of time and gets very quiet - but can get warm on base when plugged in. batteries last about 90mins to 3 hours.

3. Big thing I noticed was that File Explore take 30 seconds or more to launch after a boot. Noticed there is a permanent "F: Removable Drive" Listed. Went into device manager and disabled the "Multiple Card Adapter" thingy - and everything works much better. Deffo do this if you dont use the two flat type of flash cards. Doesnt affect the Compact Flash adapter or 32m Pen drive.
    You can easily enable it again without rebooting if necessary.

4. Also used Msconfig to disable all the icons in the sys tray (beside the clock) none are really needed. Especially the Wireless lan config utility and the Touch Pad information. All work fine without these things running. & The ATI Graphics settings can be accessed via the normal right-click on desktop menu.

5. Couldnt get the 11Mb/5Mb/2Mb Wireless card to talk to my 2Mb wireless gateway/dsl. It connected and automatically got the SID etc. but no data would pass. Probably time to upgrade my 2Mb gateway anyway.

6. Touch pad not as easy to use as others - but tweaking the settings in the control panel made it a bit better. Mouse tends to jump a bit sometimes. Optical mouse is very good.

7. Display is very washed out initially - but a few tweeks in the color balance to make it a little warmer fixed this. I'll post the setting I used if anyone wants - see what you think of them.

8. Only lasting problem is the psu. Do others notice a faint whine from it. Even when pluged in but not connected to the laptop. I notice its a 100v-220v works-anywhere job; so only solution will probably to use a 110v convertor to step down the voltage a little first. Anyone else experience this??

Very pleased with it overall so far. Nice one again Lidl.

ozmo.

Sort of review at Toms hardware(this review concentrates mostly on the graphics chip):
    (Its not absolutely identical - colour scheme and mp3 player are different to one reviewed - but specs seem similar)

August 2003: http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20030806/index.html

“Roll it back”

Out of curiosity, did anyone see what these were retailing at in the UK? I'm not sure I checked their website on time (http://www.lidl.co.uk ) but I don't think it was listed.

Last week Aldi sold a portable dvd player in the UK for £199. That price
    translates to around 282Euros.

...The _actual_ Irish Aldi price? ... 329.99Euros.

It makes me sick.

-Kevin.

• Advertisement

all i know is that it was the same price they where selling it for in germany

Advertisement