Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Maplins aerials any good?

• 02-10-2003 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting one to mess about with.
    Will they receive a good BBC signal, assuming there is a good BBC signal to be got?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Your post is a bit hazy. We would need more information to go on to help. EG, whereabout in the country dya live? What channels were you intending to pick up (Irish channels or BBC, ITV, etc)?

From looking at the Maplin site, they seem to sell Maxview antennae. I'm not too familiar with Maxview stuff as I usually use Triax, Hirschmann, or Blakes on occasions.

The biggest aerial on the site is 48 elements which I would be slightly smaller than Triax UNIX52 which has 52 elements.

The handiest thing for you would be to use whatever your closest neighbour uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Thanks,

I want to use it in Tullamore and D15.
    We already have a BBC aerial in Tullamore it's just the image isn't good on British channels which may be due to attenuation from 4 TVs and cabling that is as old as I am.
    In D15 I'm curious to know if BBC can be received at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Forget Maxview aerials - cheap stuff with only modest gain and poor directivity. Useful only in the target signal area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

The Televes ones seem to be pretty good See here

Not sure what a "margin raising device" is though (some kind of booster/amplifier ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

I need to get a little device for merging the input from two aerials into the one cable. I believe it is called a combiner. I had a televis one but it was sh!te. Someone recommended a Triax one (I think it is blue). My UK channels are coming in between Ch40 and Ch48 and the Irish ones are from Ch51 to Ch63. I have had a look at the triax web site but can't seem to find one to suit my setup.

Anyone know where I could get one and roughly how much it would cost.

Do they need a power supply?

The output will be fed into an amplifier which does have a power supply.

• Advertisement
    byte

You need an A/E Combiner.

If you're going for Triax you can opt for the 5153 or the 5052 models.

5153 - This one has one leg 21-51 and other leg 53-69

5052 - This one has one leg 21-50 and other 52-69

Triax combiners have switchable power-pass (aka thru-power) on both legs (using screws as bridge). Also of note, VHF Band III will pass through the Leg 1 side.

Also Johansson have a few models. One model has Leg1 21-58, Leg2 60-69. Another model is similar but rejects Group A (21-34). Again the Johansson is switchable power-pass on both legs (you've to cut a coil inside the casing if not using powerpass).

byte

Ooops, misread your request, didn't realise that the High side had to go between C51-68! That may be a problem considering your UK channels are high too at C48! I'll do a bit of research for ya anyways.;)

EDIT: After a bit of searching I found that the only manufacturer with a combiner to suit your needs is from, guess who, Televés! It's the Televés 4045 with Leg1 C21-48 and Leg2 C51-68!

Televés Specs PDF

Advertisement