Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL Router\network Prob

Options
  • 02-10-2003 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

Ok need some help here....

I have a Dlink 300g+ ADSL Ethernet DSL Modem & an SMC 2404WBR Router.

Now, I need to get them to work together! They work fine on the network on their own, but (obviously) I need to config the router to call out on the Modem. Ive tried PPPOE settings and fixed IP settings on the router, but it fails to connect.

if i connect the modem manually, and then use the router, all is well, but I need the router to "dial on demand"

any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭raphaelS

I had the same problem, not with the same modem/router but it might help you...

You need to setup the Modem so that the router will be on the modem DMZ.
    Also the Modem's dhcp should give an IP only to the router (limit the range to 1 IP).
    And then the PCs get their IP (but another range) from the router.

(IP from your provider) Modem (10.10.250.1) -(DMZ)- (10.10.250.2) Router (192.168.1.1) - PCs (192.168.1.xxx)

I hope this is clear?

Raphael

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

not sure what you mean by DMZ, seemingly I cannot change the DHCP range on the modem.

Its a pain in the ass the accounts system requires a fixed IP in the 10.0.0.0 range, and i have to change a machine over to DHCP to config the Modem, and back again to config the router, grrrrrrrr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

best thing to do is to set up the Dlink 300g+ with a bridged ethernet connection and let the wireless router do the PPPoE dialling, if that's not what you've tried already. Even though the Dlink modem supports PPPoE it's simpler let the router do the work.

yea, that was my next step, ill have to wait til the end of the day to give it a crack. Any idea of exactly how I can do this though?

so, you recon setup a bridge, and get the router to use PPPOE to make the connection.

also, the Modem is in the 192.x.x.x range, whereas the router MUST be in the 10.x.x.x range, will this have any bearing on the config?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

conenct Pc to ethernet side of modem to configure it - using 192.168.x.x on the PC (configured or received from modem).
    In Account Configuration you probably have PPPoE here, select RFC1483 or Ethernet over ATM, LLC/(SNAP), Vpi=8 VCi=35. "OK" to save it to flash and you're done with the modem.
    At any stage you can plug your PC into the port to reconfigure the modem.
    Plug the modem's ethernet into the router , then configure the wireless router to do the PPPoE dialling - the presence of a 192.168.x.x server on the ethernet to the modem won't make any difference, it'll be ignored by the router. It's best not to plug the modem's ethernet into a hib which stared the "LAN" side of the router if you know what I mean.
    Good luck!
    Kev.

• Advertisement

cheers man, the bridge worked seemlessly! Firewall al lup and snazzy too :)

THX

Advertisement