Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Congratulations Mr. Bush

Options
  • 02-10-2003 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not accusing Bush of causing these rapes, kidnappings or murders, but there is a certain level of ignorance, ambiguity, lack of care, complicity.

PLEASE BEWARE THIS PIECE MAKES FOR DIFFICULT READING

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/1596865?view=Eircomnet
    Climate of constant fear for Iraqi women
    Thursday, 2nd October, 2003

Back in Iraq: Women are paying a heavy price in the lawlessness that pervades Iraq. But some women are fighting back and demanding equal treatment and rights, reports Lara Marlowe

Nine-year-old Zeina staggered into the lobby of the al-Fanar hotel one night in late summer, whimpering and limping, her grimy jeans and T-shirt dishevelled. She had been raped. Again. Iraqi women among the hotel's clients took pity on the child and took her to hospital, where doctors said they could do nothing without a police report. So Zeina was sent back onto the streets of Baghdad, to sleep under bushes and no doubt face further molestation.

It was through friends at the al-Fanar that Zeina came to the attention of Mr Michael Birmingham, an Irishman with the humanitarian group Voices in the Wilderness. "She was probably in an orphanage before the war," he says. "She's skinny, with short hair, very friendly. But there's a broken look in her eyes. It's pre-Dickensian on the streets of Baghdad - the children are at the mercy of criminals who exploit them."

A UNICEF-funded programme that might have saved children like Zeina was shut down after the UN's headquarters at the Canal Hotel was bombed on August 19th. Mr Birmingham is also attempting to help some of the thousands of Baghdad families who are being evicted by landlords hoping to make a quick buck from the city's sudden conversion to capitalism.

"They hire criminal gangs, 10-strong, many of them convicts who were freed by Saddam Hussein last year," he explains. "Several women have told me the gangs came to their apartment. They threaten to rape the women and kill the men if they don't leave."

The combination of lawlessness, Islamic fundamentalism and tribalism in post-war Iraq is making life even more dangerous for the weakest members of society - girls and women. Though it is impossible to obtain reliable statistics, Ms Leila Mohammed, the director of the Organisation for Women's Freedom in Iraq (OWFI), which is affiliated to the Communist party, estimates at least 400 women have been kidnapped, raped or murdered across the country since the US invasion. Sheikhs in the Shiite district of Ath-Thawra have threatened her and other feminists, and Ms Mohammed is accompanied everywhere by two pistol-bearing bodyguards.

"Only about 20 per cent of Iraqi women venture outside now," she says. "And they travel in groups of two or three, or with a brother to protect them."

Ms Surah Hamid (24), an editorial assistant at the Iraq Today newspaper, says she lives in constant fear. "At any moment, I can be attacked, by anyone. I can be raped or robbed or kidnapped, and no one will do anything to stop it. I'm a stubborn girl, so I still walk around my own neighbourhood in the daytime, but I go home well before dark. If any of my family have to leave the area, all five of us go together."

OWFI's newsletter relates terrifying stories of violence against women. One young woman was kidnapped from a beauty salon near the Swan Lake Hotel in middle-class Karrada as she was having her hair done for her wedding. She, like chubby-faced Ms Ammouda Haddi Hassan (33) simply disappeared without trace. Ms Hassan went out one morning to buy groceries, wearing a black Islamic robe and headscarf, and was never seen again.

"Anyone who knows anything should contact the nearest police station," says the newsletter.

In another article, a taxi driver recounts a wild car-chase through the streets of Baghdad, as a mini-van filled with gunmen attempted to kidnap a pretty passenger. The driver had the presence of mind to go to a political party office surrounded by armed guards, and the gunmen gave up.

Sh. M., identified only by her initials, was not so lucky. The university engineering student was walking with her mother in al-Saaydiyah, in southwest Baghdad, when gunmen knocked her mother over and grabbed her. She was dumped in the street four days later, her body and face so badly bruised that she could neither sit nor walk. "Luckily," the newsletter notes, "her family were educated and did not carry out an honour killing."

"Sometimes, a women is 'only' raped, and then she is discreetly killed by her family to 'reclaim its honour'," Ms Mohammed explains. Though Sh. M.'s family was understanding, she refuses to leave her room and cannot speak.

In late August, OWFI sent a letter to Mr Paul Bremer, the head of the Coalition Provisional Authority, to alert him to what it called "an explosion of unprecedented violence against women ... without attracting the least attention of your troops".

The women's group demanded round-the-clock security guards and patrols, heavy sentences for sex offenders and "an administrative and legislative process that grants dignity and self-esteem for women". In particular, OWFI denounced as outrageous "your co-operation with backward political groups such as tribal heads or political Islamists ... the first price paid being the freedoms of women".

Five weeks later, the group has not received a response from Mr Bremer. Ms Mohammed says that tribal honour killings, which were conducted in secret under Saddam Hussein's regime, have become more widespread. Nearly half of all Iraqi marriages are between cousins, and women are sometimes murdered simply for refusing to marry their family's choice of bridegroom.

One of the cases reported by OWFI is that of Annahid, a teacher in her mid-20s who, since the US invasion, tried to marry against her family's wishes. Annahid's own father - incredibly, a lawyer - shot her dead, and male relatives allegedly took turns firing bullets into her body, then burned down the house of her boyfriend's family.

Ms Mohammed's assistant, Ms Hedeen Jowad, is an escapee from the tradition of honour-killing. She ran away from home, and has lived under an assumed name with her husband since her parents threatened them.

"If they found us, I really think they would kill us," she says. "It's because I wanted to marry outside my tribe, the Obeidis, and my husband is from the Alamis."

After she eloped with her boyfriend, her sister-in-law's family forced their daughter to divorce Ms Jowad's brother on the grounds that the family's honour was stained. One of her six sisters was forced to marry an old man she did not want. "This is our society," Ms Jowad says with a tinge of despair. "Girls must marry the man their parents choose for them."

In the West, apologists for the former Baathist regime used to claim the relative freedom of Iraqi women proved the dictator was progressive.

"Iraqi women lived well in the 1960s and 70s because of the Soviet influence," Ms Mohammed says.

"But Saddam never did anything for them. As his regime crumbled, he tried to exploit religious feeling. The 1991 family code deprived women of free choice in marriage and freedom to travel. It legalised polygamy. In the mid-90s, Saddam declared that women should stay home and raise children, and that jobs should be reserved for men. After the 2001 law on the public execution of prostitutes, more than 200 women were beheaded with swords across Iraq by Fedayeen Saddam. Some of them were not prostitutes, just women who annoyed Baathist officials."

Though the Provisional Authority and occupation troops have so far failed to provide basic security for the weakest members of this brutal society, the Americans are, in their way, attempting to promote women's rights. Three of the 25 members of the US-appointed Governing Council were women. But one, Ms Akila Hashemi, was assassinated in late September. No one is sure whether she was killed by fundamentalists because she was an unveiled Shiite woman, because she had worked for Saddam's diplomatic service, or simply because she refused US protection and was an easy target.

Now the authority has adopted an affirmative action policy, replacing men in the Iraqi foreign ministry with less-qualified women. "Some of the men are angry, and they're suffering," says Mr Mustafa Alrawi, the managing editor of Iraq Today. "It's a blanket policy - like de-Baathification. Akila's assassination brought women's issues to the foreground."

At this stage, Leila Mohammed and her colleagues at OWFI are far more concerned about staunching the violence against women than promoting gender equality in government. They blame Sheikh Muqtada Sadr, the radical young cleric in Najaf, for a ban on women attending university without veils in Basra.

Iraq is in the preliminary phases of drafting a new constitution. One crucial question is how the document will deal with tribalism and fundamentalism. Mr Bremer admitted last month that the coalition is paying Iraqi tribesmen to guard oil pipelines and electric power. In those areas, Iraqis say, tribal law now prevails.

"There must be a secular government based on separation of mosque and state," says Ms Mohammed. "If, as Mr Bremer said, Islam will be the religion of the state, everything will be controlled by Sharia.

"We are working to raise people's awareness. We want the end of occupation, and we want a secular government - it's the only hope for the rights of women."

[snipped for brevity]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Biffa Bacon

Hopefully the presence of Americans in Iraq will prove a civilising influence on these savages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

"De-Ba'athification"... from the look of things on the ground, Bremer sounds like he's getting closer to a Cambodian Year Zero than a post-War Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Biffa Bacon
    Hopefully the presence of Americans in Iraq will prove a civilising influence on these savages.

Getting borderline racist there, Biffa - its a line you don't want to step over.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I think you'll find that it's the American presence that's causing most of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Yeah. Cos there's never been a rape in America.

[/sarcasm]

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bonkey
    Getting borderline racist there, Biffa - its a line you don't want to step over.

jc
    I'm sorry, I meant that the rapists and murderers are "savages", not all Iraqis. I should have made that clearer.

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    I think you'll find that it's the American presence that's causing most of this.
    OMG, Americans are rounding up Iraqis and forcing them to gang-rape women! Why isn't this being reported? Damn biased corporate media again.

OMG, Americans are rounding up Iraqis and forcing them to gang-rape women! Why isn't this being reported? Damn biased corporate media again.
    The total breakdown of law and order as a result of their occupation of the country is what I meant my post.
    They're not exactly doing alot to stop this now, are they?

I'm sorry, I meant that the rapists and murderers are "savages", not all Iraqis. I should have made that clearer.

OK..

but given that rape and murder are hardly unknown in the US, then its a bit unrealistic to expect that US presence alone is going to have a "civilising influence".

Indeed, was it not Dubya himself who tried showing at some point snice the "major fighting" ended that the crime-stats in Baghdad are about equivalent to that of a major US city like Washington DC.

Some civilising influence...violent crime on the increase, with the civilisers claiming that the new, worse situation is "only about as bad as one of our cities, so its not that bad" ....

Still, I guess its easier to insist that this is all part of making things better..... god forbid we criticise the manner in which these improvements are coming about.

jc

Originally posted by Frank_Grimes
    The total breakdown of law and order as a result of their occupation of the country is what I meant my post.
    They're not exactly doing alot to stop this now, are they?
    What, do you think they just sit on their arses watching women being assaulted and do nothing? I'm sure they are doing as much they possibly can to stop it. Don't believe everything Robert Fisk tells you.

But anyway, to suggest, as Victor has done, that anyone other than the rapists themselves are to blame is absolutely the lowest criticism of Bush and the American military I have yet heard. For shame.

• Advertisement

Still, I guess its easier to insist that this is all part of making things better..... god forbid we criticise the manner in which these improvements are coming about.
    No one is saying everything is fine and dandy in Iraq. And no one has actually offered any substantive criticisms on this thread of how the Americans are handling the security situation in Iraq, just an observation that rapes are increasing, therefore Bush is responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

What, do you think they just sit on their arses watching women being assaulted and do nothing?

If it was happening in front of them I am sure they would do something but in general I would guess a blind eye to it.

US Army unlike say the british army are not trained in policing. They are trained as soliders (kill stuff). So it is not something they would be doing actively.

I doubt the US have anything directly to do with what is going on (they have enough on thier plate stealing the oil and trying to stop attacks no themselves). Just made the atmosphere easier for it to happen.

just an observation that rapes are increasing, therefore Bush is responsible.

Going back to the very first sentence that Victor posted :
    'm not accusing Bush of causing these rapes, kidnappings or murders,

Going back to the very first sentence that Victor posted :
    bonkey, what do you understand by the word “complicity”? And besides, if he wasn’t blaming Bush, why title the thread “Congratulations Mr. Bush”?????.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭sovtek

bonkey, what do you understand by the word “complicity”? And besides, if he wasn’t blaming Bush, why title the thread “Congratulations Mr. Bush”?????.

It's quite obvious that the lack of security in Iraq is a direct result of invasion and a lack of planning.

What, do you think they just sit on their arses watching women being assaulted and do nothing? I'm sure they are doing as much they possibly can to stop it. Don't believe everything Robert Fisk tells you.
    Well they're not doing and awful lot to stop what's going on are they? And I don't read Robert Fisk btw.

Originally posted by sovtek
    It's quite obvious that the lack of security in Iraq is a direct result of invasion and a lack of planning.

Yes, but Biffa would have us believe that not only is the current state of lawlessness a necessary step on the way to a good thing, it is also a situation whereby those who caused said situation to be brought about are blameless for having done so.....in that they should not be held accountable for any of the things which happen as a result.

I dunno, it seems to be some "everything is ok when claimed to be done for the greater good" belief, which I just don't get.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TomF

After how many years of a dictatorship keeping the lid on, why is anyone surprised that Iraq is a cauldron? Look at what used to be the USSR. Isn't lawlessness and violence rampant there after the Commies were given the bum's rush? Yes there was a form of law and order in the USSR before then, but at what cost? There is law and order in China, Cuba and North Korea now, but what do you realistically think would happen if the totalitarians now in power were suddenly tossed out?

As a nearer example, the crime rate in Ireland is much higher now that the pressure valve of emigration has been shut off. Our criminals aren't going to the UK and America any longer, they are staying here and beating, stabbing, shooting, robbing, drugging and in general committing all sorts of mayhem in Ireland instead of over there. Is this Bertie's fault? Or is it a case of what happens when human nature is allowed to achieve its full-flowering?

It is going to take a little longer than 5 months for Iraq to be turned into a normal democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ireland's increased murder rate is largely down to a shift from paramilitary to criminal violence.
    What, do you think they just sit on their arses watching women being assaulted and do nothing?
    Hell no, at night they are stuck in a bunker behind 300 metres of barbed wire and land mines.

Apparently, the average murder rate in Baghdad (population 5m) is 9 per day (not including combat deaths). In Ireland (population 4m) it is 1 per week.

In 1991, they invaded Kuwait with 600,000 personnel, but still had problems enforcing law and order. In invading Iraq (25 times bigger and 11 times the population) this time around they used 150,000.

"Apparently, the average murder rate in Baghdad (population 5m) is 9 per day (not including combat deaths). In Ireland (population 4m) it is 1 per week."

Talk about comparing apples to oranges. Suppose we were to put all of Ireland's population into Dublin, making sure the density of people is the same as it is in Baghdad. Would any reasonable person expect the murder rate to remain what it is when Ireland's population is scattered over the whole country? This scenario doesn't take notice of the difference in immediate-past histories of today's Baghdad and the fictional Dublin of 4 million, nor does it take issue with the quoted figures.

• Advertisement

Oops. Didn't mean to suggest that the people of Baghdad are dense, only trying to say something about population density. Apologies to all Iraquis who may be hanging on every word we type into this discussion.

Still apologizing. It should have been Iraqis, I think.

Advertisement