Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power supply and new graphics card.

• 02-10-2003 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭

I have a dell dimension 4400 which has (i think) a 250W power supply.

I have a second HDD and a new 2.6 gig processor in it.

Now i want to upgrade the grapics card.

Thinking about a radeon 9800 Pro but on their site it says i need a 300W power supply.

Where can i get a suitable power supply and what is involved in
    upgrading the power supply.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭KinSlayer

www.elara.ie
    or
    www.komplett.ie
    or
    www.microaid.ie

Open case, pull the power connections from the hard drives, cd rom drives, floppy drives and the motherboard. unscrew the four screws holding in the PSU and then remove. Put new PSU in and screw into place.

Bobs your uncle charlies your aunt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

You can pick one up in peats,maplin,itdirect,or online at hitide or komplett,go for a good brand and bout 350-400W Anec,enermax,chieftec,Q-Tec.

installing a psu is simple - there will be two psu connectors to the motherboard and the rest are molex connectors ( 4 pin ) to the cd drive and HDD unplug them all......replace the psu......plug back the power connectors and thats it.

CombatCow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

From what i gathered form asking in another thread that Q-Tec supplies werent the best.
    ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

q-tec a good brand u must be joking! :D

antec enermax or cheiftec are the good brands

remember u get what u pay for the good brands are more expensive but are worth it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

Thats great.
    Thanks for that guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    q-tec a good brand u must be joking! :D

That better be sarcasm

ok

q-tec are the best brand in the whole wide world you just look at every1 who has a decent computer they ALL have q-tec's powering them.

now that sarcasm!

they are the worst brand of psu and there is evidance on the net that they are the worst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I was under the impression that Dell power supplies (or their motherboard connectors maybe) were proprietary and could not be replaced by generic ones !

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

i won't pretend i know what a dell dimension 4400 looks like, but all the dells i've seen have their own proprietary cr*p in the box.

make sure you can put a standard ATX2 power supply in that case before spending your money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Dell usually have their own proprietary which litterally "squeal" when you try to run another mobo with them. Some of the models do have an ATX shaped PSU, so it will fit fine, as for the way it powers the board, it seems to be a bit different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

whats the deal with the q-tec bashing,:confused: iv got 2,a silent 300W for a p4 system and a 450W for an amd 2800+ 2HDD + HDD coolers,CD-RW,GF FX 5900 Ultra,4 Cold cats,stable as a.....well it's extreamly stable.u guys had bad experience's with em?

CombatCow

Originally posted by Combatcow
    whats the deal with the q-tec bashing,:confused: iv got 2,a silent 300W for a p4 system and a 450W for an amd 2800+ 2HDD + HDD coolers,CD-RW,GF FX 5900 Ultra,4 Cold cats,stable as a.....well it's extreamly stable.u guys had bad experience's with em?

CombatCow

i got a 400w one for a p4 system and it kept cutting out on the windows install i then went and got me mates 400w cheiftec and it installed first go. since that i've hated q-tec and bought a cheiftec 420w.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I have a Q-Tec 400W Dual Fan, runs everything great, and voltages are perfect.

Advertisement