Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"NEW Improved recipe!" WHY???

• 02-10-2003 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭

Why do food makers insist on changing or 'improving' their recipes? For example Twix - the biscuit now has a harsher texture, Mikado have gone all soggy and look 'orrible and dark, Fig Rolls are tasteless and Club milk bars are crap.

Surely if people like a product for what it is, they might just not like it to change (Look at New Coke years ago)

I reckon it's 'cos they've lost the original recipe and the 'improved' recipe was the best they could get trying to sus it out :p

It is what it's.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Perhaps they just found a cheaper way to do things which just didn't taste the same, and decided to call it "improved" in the hope that people will buy into the lie and believe them.

Nah, multinational megacorporations wouldn't lie, would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

Originally posted by Sarky
    Perhaps they just found a cheaper way to do things which just didn't taste the same, and decided to call it "improved" in the hope that people will buy into the lie and believe them.

Nah, multinational megacorporations wouldn't lie, would they?
    to us never!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

club milk bars use to be the nicest bars going til the "improved" the recipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Ditto for Mr. Kipling's cherry bakewells. And Yorkies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

to make you buy it.

Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Gaffo

It can't be new and improved. If its being improved then it can't be new.
    Reckon they do it to try and cut down on costs. Remember the size of a wham bar years ago. Now they're tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Goodfellas pizzas were destroyed last winter by a change in the way the sauce is made or some ****e. Some of you may remember I was so outraged by such a desecration of a staple food that I started a thread about it on food/drink forum and fired off some emails to green isle about it.
    The pizzas they used to do were near restaurent standard.Now they are uneatable muck.

KFC changed the way they cook the chicken fillet burgers and the mayo was also changed.Its alright now but it took ages to get used to and i still say the old flavour was better.

And i think you all know about the veggie tasting sh1te that is monster munch nowadays.If you want the original you have to buy mighty munch.

But yer,ive never seen a product change flavour for the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Its a cross between cheaper manufacturing techniques and stringint updates of FDA regulations on the amount and types of additives allowed in foods.

When faced with the choice between ads that say:

"Now Made with Cheaper Ingrediants!"
    and
    "Now With Less Non-Metabolising Additives"

OR

"New Improved Recipe"

Its funny how many marketing dept's go with the latter.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

BURKER KING - King Fries. I knew there was another example.

When they introduced 'King Fries' they were advertised as crispier etc. Up until they changed their chips, I much preferred BKs over McDs - they were almost like real potato chips. Now bloody King Fries taste like deep-fried recycled cardboard :mad: yuck :(

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Fry

Originally posted by Cr3m0
    club milk bars use to be the nicest bars going til the "improved" the recipe

I used to remember club milk bars were alot chunkier and choclatier! Now they are just ****e..

Anyone remember Fanta changing from Orange Drink to Orange Crush ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

IF SOMETHING IS NEW , HOW CAN IT BE IMPROVED ?

What have they got as a referance to claim it is improved on ????:horned:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

yeah club milks are crap now but i'd still eat them!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

That does get on my tits,

the change to goodfellas was annoying, but was forgiven by the addition of the spicy chicken pizza they have now, tasty stuff.

never noticed the change in yorkie....

i did however notice the change in tayto cheese and onion, twas dire. have gotten used to it now but, id go back if i were them.
    i think companies answer to changing tastes is just to add more ****ing salt....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

on a similar vein of thought, when walkers entered the Irish market, Tayto had to stop making "monster munch", and instead started making "Mighty munch". Does anyone else think that the originals were better? And it's very hard to find a shop selling Walker Monster Munch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by oneweb
    BURKER KING - King Fries. I knew there was another example.

When they introduced 'King Fries' they were advertised as crispier etc. Up until they changed their chips, I much preferred BKs over McDs - they were almost like real potato chips. Now bloody King Fries taste like deep-fried recycled cardboard :mad: yuck :(

They are disgusting alright. They take the chips and coat them with a powdered potato substance similar to Smash, it soaks up more fat. Not only do they taste horrible but are more fattening.

The only use for smash is as rat poison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭oneweb

Originally posted by John R
    The only use for smash is as rat poison.
    :D
    Which - the 'New and Improved' or old Smash?? :p

It is what it's.

Advertisement