Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSN Messenger via SSH tunnels

Options
  • 02-10-2003 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I've got my uni connection sorted, but they only allow a limited amount of services which does not include messenger.

I am however allowed to make SSH tunnels out of the university.

Is it possible to set up an SSH tunnel that would connect me to messenger?..

I've managed to get my SSH tunnel to get me onto IRC.. so I assume MSN is possible?

any reples are most appreciated

ta,

Simon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

ask me in 4 years time when im a qualified civil engineer..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭gimme

don't see why not.
    just find out what port it uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

hmm, I remember something about the server it connects to being stored in the registry.. I'll take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Well, what I've done is have my ssh tunnel going out to a socks4/5 proxy on the remote server, and from there through that proxy one can do anything that supports socks4/5, including MSN.

Talk about yum.

thanks phaxx, I'll look into getting a socks server installed for soon.. figured out how to MSN over ssh tunnel though.

hkey_current_user > software > microsoft > messengerservice

has a key called "Server" which you can edit to point at your SSH tunnel.

sorry everyone, pointless thread! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

messenger these days connects to the following servers (for msn v6 anyway):

messenger.hotmail.com port 1863
    207.46.106.10 port 1863
    nexus.passport.com port 443
    login.passport.com port 443

older version of messenger don't use the passport servers afaik.

I tried using ssh tunnelling before using gaim but it's problematic.
    First of all you can change the messenger.hotmail.com server but you can't change the second one. If you change messenger.hotmail.com to something like localhost:1863 then you still have a problem because you'll be going through the proxy (which you need setup for the passport ones) which will probably block this. so you'll have to run the tunnel from say port 443 to port 1863. but even then you'll get stopped at the second server.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

I was hoping to do something similar here, but registry editing has been disabled (for obvious reasons) so unless theres a hack I don't know about, I don't see a way of getting that information.

BTW, if it's not too much of a n00b question, how did you get IRC access sorted in college exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭gimme

look up SSH tunnels and get a shell account.

well, In the terms of service "remote console emulation over SSH" is allowed,

so i loaded putty, went to Connection > SSH > Tunnels

in "port forwarding" added a forward with the following info:

Source port: 6667
    Destination: uk.quakenet.org:6667

then went back to the Session window and logged onto my shell..

then loaded mIRC, typed /server localhost:6667 et voila!

but If you don't have access to SSH you can use cgi-irc (http://cgiirc.sourceforge.net)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Thanks k.oriordan
    /. :f33r: over to firewall - type type type
    ...now to block oscar.aol.com

:f33r: - it's a bike - I'm using it to signify movement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CrazeUK

Hi guys..
    I am behind a corporate netwrok which blocks pretty much everything you like.

I have manged to get around this by tunneling using Putty and Firefox.

Now i want to get MSN working, but i cant seem to have any joy with anything.

Can anyone helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

How are you tunneling with Putty ? SSH tunnel into an external machine ?

If that's the case, use SSHs ability to operate as a SOCKS proxy
    http://www.virtualroadside.com/blog/index.php/2007/04/12/dynamic-socks-proxy-using-putty/

This isn't illegal, but you are attempting to bypass company policy. You could get in trouble !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 CrazeUK

Gavin wrote: »
    How are you tunneling with Putty ? SSH tunnel into an external machine ?

If that's the case, use SSHs ability to operate as a SOCKS proxy
    http://www.virtualroadside.com/blog/index.php/2007/04/12/dynamic-socks-proxy-using-putty/

This isn't illegal, but you are attempting to bypass company policy. You could get in trouble !

Hi Gavin.
    Thanks for the response. That is what i am doing at the moment, through my webhost.

I have tried usiing the same settings as my Firefox in the Socks settings in MSN but it doesnt seem to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Try meebo or else try aMsn and make it use port 80

Advertisement