Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake - taking over people's lives

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Eileen

So that's where you got to. Get back here at once Dexy. this instant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dexys_Midnight_Runners

Ah come on, Eileen

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

11 years ago I first logged on to the internet. There was no WWW (it was invented about 5-6 years ago, maybe more..)
    There was mail and a mediocre news feed.

I spent ages chatting to people from around the world on the news feed (there only being about 100 news groups in total)

I spent a lot of time trying to explain to people that the little green pixels on the screen was a guy in Sarajevo and the next screenful was a woman in Japan.

Just about EVERYONE told me I was a geek/nerd. I would spend ages arguing politics in alt.politics and badgering the christians in soc.christians.

I knew the internet was going to grow exponentially. I grabbed everyone who would listen to me and sat them down and tried to explain it to them. Some listened and some didnt. Some looked at the green and black monitor and said "That thing? Are you telling me that thing is going to go worldwide?"

I regularly got called nerd/geek even though I was a right loony for the drink and parties. I was a nerd because I was into something that others found confusing and hard to understand and I *liked* it.

Today I have a web development company (along with Vex). I'm being approached by the very same people who called me nerd way back then. They give me their business cards with their email address on them and ask me if I can design them a web site.

I do what I always do when such a person comes to me for advice on the internet.
    I smile. Smile.... and add a grand to the price smile.gif

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Poor is the man whos pleasure depends on the permission of another

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 number3

I am not a number ... oh no hang on I am.
    And I like boys.

Daaa.

[This message has been edited by DeVore (edited 23-06-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

it's **** like that that got you banned in the first place Daa. So much for 'I'm sorry' ' I've learned my lesson'.. I've no sympathy for ya.

J.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Only for you, Ste you incredible hunk...

{NOT}

Lolth wrote:
    People are quoting Madonna now!!!!!
    The World is Dooooooooooooooooomed (or quaked.. )

Oh dear Lolth. Thats actually Friedrich Nietzsche. Perhaps Polish has a point hehe. Read a book occasionally! smile.gif
    (I know Madonna lifted the quote for some video or other).

DeV.

ps: another good quote a I like is

"Monkeys dont read Nietzsche!"
    "Yes they do, Otto, they just dont understand it."

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Fierce Creatures...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

A F.. A F... A Fish called Wanda actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Woops knew it was a Kevin Kline line - took a chance smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I apologised for dragging my friend to nethouse and how boring it was for him (and for me)

hold on, u went to an internet cafe to watch a team train, never with the intention of playing. OF COURSE THAT WAS CRAP.

Shinji
    DON'T GIVE A FLYING FU(K WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS
    hehe Its a good thing smile.gif (sorry I could not resist

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Sonic

war anyone???

ah Dev. I think I speak for everyone when I say, ahem...

'we awaited thee every morning, took from thee thine overflow, and blessed thee for it'

-madonna

tongue.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

That (the madonna quote) reminds me of when Eric Cantona joined united. He did a TV interview in which he said he really liked Rimbaud (french poet). The next week loads of the united supporters came in bandana's with big Sylvester Stallone posters smile.gif

Playing quake is great fun but watching ppl play it is ultra boring if you don't follow/understand/play the game (e.g. even dedicated q1ers find watching a q2 game boring and vice-versa, and they are nearly the same game). I guess the same applies to any sport but the fact that the contestents in quake make no expressions makes it harder to enjoy spectating.

lol bunny - "beast, beast, the red armor is here!!" smile.gif It really does sound geeky smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

shinj uve yet to talk to me never mind see me, so go jerk u smelly [well, thats what ive heard] stoopid looking jerk-rag....

OHHHHHHHHHHH BITE ME {!}

... bring it on shinj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Polish

It was actually team trials. Before we went I talked to DeVore on irc and he confirmed it. And from memory of other nethouse nights (watching the fr v ie games for example) it was fun for people who didnt play quake (a sponser was there if memory serves)

And I did have every intentition of playing but the first wars was with ser,koopa,bunny,beast etc etc.

in relation to shinji. Ahh your great quote of not giving a ****. May i be as bold as to ask the question why did you totally lose the rag at me on irc yesterday?

As I said to shinji the best way to make this post void and worthless (which seems to be some peoples thoughts about it) was to simply ignore it. Ever wounder why peewee kept coming back and giving people agro. You all entertained him by losing the head and getting all serious. IMHO if you just left his posts and let them slide down to the bottom of the board he would have stopped.

Its a pity you cant look at this post and see it for what it was a casual observation. Its kinda crap about the net that you cant take emotion or other forms of body launge from posts to see the frame of mind they were written in.

I'm surprised in less then 24 hours this thread has generated 48 posts from a whole secure community who doesnt give a **** :p

ChRoMe

lors: thanks for the reminder I am still trying to forget about that smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

We're secure enough that we don't mind discussing the subject in depth whenever it is brought up. If it were any other way you wouldn't have gotten more than "AH FUK OF YUR GEY"-type replies.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭KinDreD

Fuk off chrome your gey.......now its said happy teeth?

[This message has been edited by KinDreD (edited 23-06-99).]

LOL -
    this just keeps improving,

here heads ... http://www.tiktok.org/geeks/ .... you'll LOVE it {!}

I know I did ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭B0rG

You'd better go there on fridays...
    quake2 'ers drink more beer then quake'ers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

... what a pack of nerds.

"oooo I'm not a nerd, I'm not a nerd.. I know some people ARE but I'm NOT... look let me prove it to you... blah blah blah... SEE?"

... what a pack of insecure nerds.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

(e.g. even dedicated q1ers find watching a q2 game boring and vice-versa, and they are nearly the same game)

Argh! EWJ, don't even go there! smile.gif

Chrome, when people said they don't give a fuk, they meant in relation to themseleves. You are the only person who seems to think doing this is sad, which would seem to suggest you have some personal issues to sort out.

Just to add to that, Peewee would of continued even without people responding to him. It was in his nature.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 23-06-99).]

Hobbes Said:
    Just to add to that, Peewee would of continued even without people responding to him. It was in his nature.

NADA NADA NADA sniff sniff sigh sigh YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Quake rules but I'm fukked if I'm missin out on beer and a ride because of it. Do what you like, who gives a sh!t what other ppl think?
    it could be worse, you could belong to that fukkin zoo that gathers on the steps of the central bank......

Hey if i hadnt broken my ankle in a football match i would have been here today.OK so i cant play football again,which at first was hard,because it was an everyday thing.Football Football and more Football.I would eat sleep and drink football.On the weekends i would play a match,a group of guys shouting "you stay on defence and watch their striker he has a great shot"But now i have pushed football aside for a bit and
    started playing quake.And it is not realy much different only that you are sitting down."I will go on defence while you get flag"After that a whole new world of sports opened up.I started playing handball and Basketball,and took up martial arts,and this would never have happened if i hadnt given up football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

so the moral is give up quake and await a world of new oportunities and activities?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

I`m with dre on this one..

I got into quake after I injured myself in karate comps twice in the same year, within 6 months in fact. I couldn`t walk for a few days and I couldn`t train either time for over 2 months..this coming from training 2-3 hours a day 5 days a week min. I was lost and was spending time in the bar just drinking doing nothing...

someone, catch_22 I think said ere play a game of this..so I did..I then became hooked on Q. Playing it all the time trying to get better and beat my mates in college, then we went onto the net and it was a whole new world of fraggin. I just played and played and played..I was so hooked, was like a drug for me...then I got to a point where it started to become boring...playing the same people and trying to play with crap connects..at the end of my serious Q phase I was playing bunny and koopa over hea , with toilet coming in and playing too. Some class times and games had...

if you like it why stop just cause someone thinks your a nerd or a geek, hobbes go look these up and define it I wanna know the diff as well..

if your gf can`t handle the fact that its just something you do fine, if your mates can`t either, well they aren`t really good mates are they? Look at it this way..

one goes can I send a mail from your account, I go ok, then they get a reply, then they send another mail, and get another reply. Pretty soon they are looking to get their own e-mail address so they can do it on their own...I`ve seen this happen so many times it kills me each time....

just do what you want, care not what others think, unless your doing stupid things like robbing banks, and getting caught smile.gif.

be yorself and life will be good.

another rant type post..

Ro.

Ro
    ronin@qamex.com
    www.qamex.com

People are quoting Madonna now!!!!!

The World is Dooooooooooooooooomed (or quaked..) smile.gif

• Advertisement

I started playing quake cos I liked it, and enjoyed it. I *could* tell myself a reason (excuse) why this happened, but I see nothign wrong with it or me because of it, so I won't .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement