Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake - taking over people's lives

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I don't mind being accused of being a nerd, I just hate it when people imply that there's anything wrong with this smile.gif

ste - bite you? No thanks.... I'd probably get food poisoning off ya, ya skanky little kunt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭H_K

i play quake cos its a mad ould game and i know loadsa kewl lads like the dk guys

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

Shinj HEAD,

uve gotta be GEY

smile.gif

seriously loike ...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Ronin to answer your question...

Fishing on the net http://www.bigendian.com/geek/faq/geeksfaq.txt
    1) What is the difference between a "geek", "nerd", "dweeb", etc.?

This differs from region to region, but in this group's usage:

A geek is someone immune to social pressure. Many people think
    geeks are unpopular, but geeks don't care (and often don't notice)
    if they're popular or not. This isn't rebellion, since rebellion
    assumes you dislike society enough to rebel against it, and geeks
    don't care enough about society to dislike it that much. Geek is
    not alternative, since alternative implies there is something else
    to be an alternative to, and geeks aren't limited by that kind of
    choice. Geeks tend to live at the far edge of the bell curve.

Nerds are geek wanna-bes, who don't yet have the self-esteem to be
    completely geeks. They tend to be a few clues short of a geek, and
    are somewhat annoying but may have potential.

Dweebs are nerd wanna-bes, and tend to be actively annoying.
    Spammers are dweebs.

I've also heard the term "technoid" to refer to a technical dweeb.
    As mentioned above, off-line usage varies greatly: the CBS show
    "dweebs" features a mix of nerds, geeks, and dweebs.

And another nice quote...
    2) I hate geeks.

That's not a question. Every so often, some bright spark decides to
    post a small tantrum about how we should all go out and get lives,
    stop wasting time infront of computers, stop reading SF, and start
    being promiscuos, begin drinking ourselves into comas, kill ourselves
    with the willfull inhalation of carbon monoxide and generally subscribe
    to his (it, invariably, is *his*) idea of fun.

Although it generally accepted that such an entity will not read any
    follow-ups to his posting, they can lead to really quite elegant
    character assasinations of the original poster for the enjoyment of
    the group at large.

I should also point out that "Dweeb" actually meant a person who didn't have a car and would bum lifts off the people who did in highschool in USA in the 50's/60's (saw it on some triva thingy).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Well my mammy says im cool and thats all that matters tongue.gif

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'm a weirdo.
    A nerd, if thats your word for it.
    I'm different. Odd.
    We all are.
    Its the only thing we have in common here. We're "them".
    That guy... you know the one.... the strange one.
    We have to explain what it is that we do so that other people can slag us about it.

If you want to be normal or you think we should aspire to the great collection unconsciousness of suburbia then fire ahead.

The worst insult I can think of for anyone is "normal".

Normal.
    Common.
    Usual.
    Run Of The Mill.

Ordinary.

DeVore.

"I dont care who you are, here's to your dream."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭KinDreD

I started into the puter when i was playing rubgy and broke my leg........i was once cool....im now so uncool......:/

[This message has been edited by KinDreD (edited 24-06-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Gb

I once had this great aspiration to take over the world. I was very sucessfull, I had all the world leaders lined up to sign my agreement which would entitle me to free, unlimited and unfettered access to all the women in their respective countries.

Unfortunately I broke my ankle just before I went to sign the document my self. This was the end of my dream and I then turned to quake.

I like women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭FreaK_BrutheR

right my mate just read this and laughed...... so he DEMANDS his say!

hello folks my name is joe a friend of freaks
    Not that my say has any count in this wonderful world of games and fantastic fanciful existances but i must agree with devore on the comments of chrome and his sell out to what a two year pleasurable existance on the nethouse was...
    but as devore pointed out "common normal" and the like are all derivitaves of the "dweeb".....
    to continue from devore the worst insult that anyone can pay to a person is that of them being "HARMLESS"
    this is the term i shall use for the person who uses the name chrome .
    no insult intended chrome but your post annoyed me quite a bit.
    i as a friend of freaks and all who have met ME in certain pubs ( you all will know me from my lack of Q knowledge) i also as a friend whom has had no real contact with PC's, have trough Quake and through Freak learned invaluable techniques and various packages on the PC which has stood to my gain in acquiring a position in COCA COLA as a marketing assistant.
    Not to devulge from the point, but i find the post from chrome as regards to his bored friend and his lack of respect for the quake community and for what they have done for him(eamonn) as an indignat repugnart slurr on the ****ish lickable face of a group of people who enjoy themselves and btw know how to do that...
    it seems like a community that is very close yet very willing to accept a muppet like me and have a beer seems sound enough.
    here's to the folks of quake and to all who play ( not me i can't )
    seeya all soon
    joe
    luv Q

• Advertisement

Directed at Marks' mate:

Well done that man. smile.gif

I think even the most confident of us geeks (I don't like the word, but if the glove fits...) tends to have a little inferiority complex about what the rest of the world thinks of us. In fact, we're a bit off the mark in my experience - there are a lot of people who rather envy the close-knit, friendly community which exists in online gaming over here. For every "god you go out and play games on a friday night, you're sad" comment I've heard, I've heard three "wow that's pretty cool actually" comments.

Directed at Devore:

Yay! smile.gif
    **** the normals... they're welcome to their boring lives, 2.4 children, small suburban houses, saturday morning washing the car saturday afternoon at a football match, suit and tie, coronation street and fair city... Being weird rocks. Everyone dies, not everyone truly lives, and truly living is to spend as much of your life as possibly enjoying every second.

I love being different smile.gif

Ja,
    Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

You're definition of a boring life : suburban home, 2.4 children, coronation street etc. etc. is exactly the reason why people label you with ignorant words like geeks, dweebs, nerds. Those people with the 'boring' lives aren't ****ing normal.

You have no seemed to take a high and ****ing mighty role (DeVore, Shinji and others) with your "no, we're cool and wierd and wacky... everyone else are boring and normal.... god I'd HATE to be 'normal'"

In my social surroundings I'm generally the guy who organises the nights out. The guy who introduces one circle of my friends to a whole other circle of friends. The only guy who cna have a huge party becuase he knows all the waterford hippies, all the waterford goths, all the waterford grungers, all the waterford rockers, all the waterford druggies, all the waterford 'nerds', and all the waterford 'normal boring people. Jesus christ lads, I suppose black people and women are WIERD and non-normal too are they? Do they make the grade?

NONE of my friends or even people who I'm becoming friends with or people I don't know... NONE of them ever say "oooh you're some sorta ****ing geek/nerd/dweeb?". Maybe I'm just lucky 'cos I haven't come across anyone with nerdism yet... bollicks... it isn't out there anymore, at least if it was it's gone now.

Sometimes while sitting around an open fire my friends would turn to me and say "Daire, tell us again about your Quake friends and the fierce battles that you won...." seriously, not in so many words... but basically that... I'm also sometimes introduced as 'the wizkid of tramore' or 'the guy who's gonna make millions like bill gates'... sure maybe it's just ignorance on their part but you seem to not realise that we're mostly looked up to as the guys who're gonna make something of their lives.

Anyone still discovering prejudice along their computer path then feel free to move to Waterford... or maybe just go to therapy, you insecure trowel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

Going out to pubs or clubs in Dublin on Friday or Saturday night is a pain in the arse. All the scum are out, queues into everywhere, can't get a taxi home, drunk scangers looking for fights etc.

Mid week is far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Vorosha

oh and another thing:

if someone your talking to turns around and says "ah you ****ing nerd..." then it isn't becuase you use computers alot. there is a different reason.

afew examples:

a) you are better looking than him.
    b) you are alot smaller than him.
    c) he is of low intelligence.
    d) he has a bad social background.
    e) there is a nice girl in close vicinity.
    f) he wants to isolate you from the group.
    g) he is frightened of not understanding.
    h) he secretly fancies you.
    i) you are stealing his best friend / girlfriend.
    j) he doesn't like the look of you.
    k) he is uncomfortable in his surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭shank

It's my fu[kin cake an I'm eating it all.

I have the 2.4 kids/car/surburban life and and I have the online life and they both rock.

bstep@tinet.ie
    news.quake.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

Vor,

your saying how you know everyone..yea thats ture, I know loads of people from college and loadsa people from my area etc etc..I get on well witha brick walls as well...but I`ve only a few close friends, I have loadsa mates and friends but none are really close, bar a few..

I agree with most of what you have above in your where they call us nerds a-whatever, very true...

but as to not being called a nerd by people? hahaha get real. eg. You go to college, you get XXX points and think ok everyone around me got XXX points to get here as well, but there`ll always be little group that your not allowed into cause your from the wrong place or have the wrong something or other..

some people mess saying a yea your a nerd , which is fine you can always tell whos just having a laugh with ya. but there are some people who do go around behind your back saying "yea there he goes that nerdy guy" or whatever. it`ll always be like that as well..there`ll always be some people who are sheep its just life...

least this is giving me something to do in work smile.gif...

Ro.

Ro
    ronin@qamex.com
    www.qamex.com

Daire, you have a very valid point there, but I feel that you're being very unfair to myself and Tom there.

What we're saying (I think I speak for Tom as well, tho I dunno) is not that there is, in essence, anything WRONG with this kind of normal lifestyle, merely that it isn't for us. I love being the way I am, and I won't change it just because of someone's opinions as to how I should live - thats the message, and that's, I think, what this thread is about at heart.

Here in town, I'm much like the way you describe yourself - I don't fit into any group in particular, but I get along with all of them, and a lot of the time I'm a meeting point betweeen them. It's cool really - everyone likes Rob, even tho none would lay claim to me as "in my gang" or whatever.

Your accusations of prejudice are also unfair - most of my best friends are people I know from "real life", but an increasing number of people I would call "best friends" are coming from friendships formed online. I make no differences between the two groups. I think most of us can relate to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭JaneyMackers

Lads. Its a hobbie nothing more. Some ppl choose to play Tennis and Football while i play those sports they pale in comparsion to a really good Clan game.

Thats a personal preferance. I love q2,will continue to play q2 if it gets in the way of my life then well i'll have to forget the life smile.gif))

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

mmmmm I think I'm going to break out in a rash, but I mostly agree with Vorosha.

two things tho:
    no, we're cool and wierd and wacky... everyone else

I said we were weird. Its true. Cool and Wacky was not what I said. Please dont put words in my mouth and then critcise them.
    Maybe I'm just lucky 'cos I haven't come across anyone with nerdism yet... bollicks... it isn't out there anymore, at least if it was it's gone now.

Thats why a drunken yob decided that we couldnt be allowed to continue playing in Nethouse without him opening the door and gifting us with his cutting insight that we were , in fact, "FVCKING NERDS!!"

Shank writes:
    I have the 2.4 kids/car/surburban life and and I have the online life and they both rock.

Kewl! If thats what you want (and it seems it is) then I'm genuinely happy for you. Lots of people look at my lifestyle and say "how can you live like that" or "why dont you settle down?". It's not for me. I feel trapped standing in a queue at Tescos. Buying a Virgin cinema pass for a month is too much commitment to one place for me.

I totally agree with Vor's list of reasons tho. Bang on. If someone you dont really know comes up to you and says you are a nerd/geek/whatever its usually some deficiency on their part.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Buying a Virgin cinema pass for a month is too much commitment
    hehehe
    next you'll be married with 7 kids, same old story, first you get a cinema pass next minute your life is over wink.gif

One thing. **** taking aside.
    Are you all really that insecure in yourselves that you have to prove that you are not a geek or a nerd or what ever.

Ive seen some of u and yis look a state smile.gif but who cares. Who gives a ****. You ppl should calm down and forget what other ppl think. (except whan other ppl is me of course than sit up and take notice smile.gif)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ste

shinj u wrecked fool, go use some deodrant, ur letting us *nerds* down by smelling so bad. Soon everybody will think ALL nerds smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

don't care what anyone else says
    but i'm a scrub.
    or a busta or something..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

Right, polish, first off i didnt see any point in you posting that, but thats irrelevant.

Some people stumbled upon quake by accident, no interest in computers etc.

Some people stumbled on quake with a desire to be the best at something for once in their lives ("nerds")

Some people stumbled upon quake due to having no friends, being ugly,fat incapable of getting a woman/man etc.

Does it really matter what they would prefer?
    (quake/social)as for most of them no longer have the choice, im quite sure that you have made one or two people depressed with your useless post, perhaps making them even more aware of how this little dream world of theirs is so very pathetic, i ask you, was their any good in that? i could go on, but i lack the time and motivation, so before i finish, i ask you - seeing as you are such a reformed person, non-nerdish and all, why do you still use internet nerd languge such as "lol" and ":p", perhaps this seems normal to you?, maybe youre still a nerd at heart........whatever ba

damo

Shame on you Polish for spoiling Damo's dream.

I should point I haven't played Quake in over a year (Q2 in 7 months) and I never injured my ankle. smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭damo

hobbes just abused me HOBBES JUST ABUSED ME......anyone see it?????

*mutter mutter* that stupid ugly nerd of ****........*mutter* with his ****ing axe *mutter*

just a note on the cinema pass..

free 2 month pass for me tongue.gif..

heheh

Ro..

hehe,

mark your bringing in outsiders..you`ll be banished!! wink.gif...

as most know we all love our beer..speaken of which marky jonhy be down soon, beer!!

hehe

Ro.

Ro
    ronin@qamex.com
    www.qamex.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

yer fu(ked now

I warned you about those damn cinema passes

vagga
    Chairman
    Campaign Against Cinema Passes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭Zero

Devore you untamable wanderer, I can hear the redneck guitarpicking now, as you ride off into the sunset after riding the knickers off the Damsel in Distress smile.gif
    Tom "Reno" Murphy, the Renegade. Episode l.

Tammy : Oh tommy, don't say you're leavin me. Won't you ever be back?
    (Dev squints fiercely into general direction of Sun, pushing his cowboy hat back up his forehead.)
    Dev : I'll be back Tammy.......someday. I just gotta ride off fer a while and make sure no injustices are being done in the world.
    etc. etc., I'm after gettin bored.

Anyhoo, this thread is startin to look like the "We need help" scene in Austin Powers. So, who's comin out drinkin tomorrow fer me 21st? All day session......aaaaggghhh!!!!!
    Zero.

• Advertisement

Maybe I should couch my opinions in the language of "L0L ure 4ll GEY."
    Mind you , that was kinda funny Z smile.gif

I'll be around for beers, where and when?
    There's a no-nerds policy right?
    All day beers? You pussy! Keep drinking through the night from Regis bash. Or are you a POOFTER!!!!!

Yes, copious amounts of alcohol will PROVE we are real men!!!!

Damo, get off the fashionable-ennui trip will yah. I agree there doesnt seem to have been much of a point to chromes post.

DeV The Wanderer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement