Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Termination

Options
  • 02-10-2003 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Just wondering what my rights are concering terminating a lease early? I found somewhere less expensive to rent and want to get out of a lease I signed 3 months ago... It's a year long lease..

Am I bound to rent this property for a year or can I move before then?

Do I get my deposit back?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

First off do you have a written contract in your possession?

At a guess, your lease will say how you can end the lease. Usually it means giving a months notice. However if you have signed a lease for a year (as you say), you might be stuck with it for the year, unless you can get someone to take it over.

If your landlord insists you pay for the full year, you could try subletting (what does contract say?). That or make a nuisance of yourself by insisting he do every minor repair he's obliged to do under the contract.

If you just walk out and leave the keys, the landlord is likely to be entitled to the deposit or as much of it as he needs to get a replacement tenant. He could also sue you if he can only get a lower rent.

www.threshold.ie may be of help. They have a drop in centre in Temple Bar.

If you don't wish to put your details up here, PM me with the details.

Advertisement