Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beep codes,new cpu?

• 02-10-2003 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Hi, Iam repairing a computer for a friend and the 810lr motherboard is giving off 7 beeps and only boots once in a blue moon.I dont have a spare cpu and wondered if the cpu is gone beforei chance buying a replacement for it.I have tried everything else cmos etc.ALSO it is not even booting to bios with everything disconnected.any clues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

did you check RAM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

No dont have any but if it was ram surely it would boot to bios screen and then beepwhen checking it.Will have some ram hopefully weekend to check.Anyone got a silly size duron going cheap to check this out?600+ duron?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭logistic

If its a repeated short beep it could be a power supply problem

No not power put a new psu on(brand new)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

If you have the mobo manual that will tell you what the diff beeps mean,twill probably be on the web somewhere if you havent got the manual.

CombatCow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by kmb
    No dont have any but if it was ram surely it would boot to bios screen and then beepwhen checking it.Will have some ram hopefully weekend to check.Anyone got a silly size duron going cheap to check this out?600+ duron?

Put in ram and find out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

No dont have any but if it was ram surely it would boot to bios screen and then beepwhen checking it.

No if you don't have RAM you don't get pass POST.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

As far as i know that mobo uses an ami bios

The error code u are getting is a fatal error code
    Actually called "Virtual Mode Exception Error"
    It means that u are having a problem with the mobo or the processor

If u are booting without ram then this could be the reason
    However if u are getting the same error while booting with ram
    then i would think ur mobo is kinda screwed
    Wouldnt hurt to flash the mobo bios and see if this sorts it out

Let us know how u get on

Heres the update:put in agp card voodoo 16mb and system is running fine.I never heard before of on board graphics failing!!!!! Anyone ever have this happen before?

Never heard of that one, good 'ole voodoo 3000. Always bails people out:D :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

if that is a AMI bios should have been 8 beeps for the card.

never heard of that happening before strange ;)

Actually your right it was 8 beeps my mistake!Consider this:With no vga card in 8 beeps ,no boot.okay? Now put in vga card without drivers connect monitor still to onboard graphics,perfect boot.Take out voodoo ,no boot again.really seems like a irq problem but this bios has no reset escd like other boards.still puzzled!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

it's probably RAM, i had a mobo and it wouldn't boot, i tried everything! i thought the CPU is dead but it turned out to be RAM, is there is no RAM you'll get a black screen, the monitor won't turn on(from standby)

Not ram,put in new sick 128mb,took out voodoo tried again and all that is happening is floppy is looking for something as its staying on and long beep ,short beep now.

old mobo's kick up a right fuss over no floppy drive connected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Long beep, 1 short beep = ? (not listed in AMI BIOS report)
    Long beep, 2 short beeps = video failure
    Long beep, 3 short beeps = video failure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    it's probably RAM, i had a mobo and it wouldn't boot, i tried everything! i thought the CPU is dead but it turned out to be RAM, is there is no RAM you'll get a black screen, the monitor won't turn on(from standby)

almost right it is the memory on the card that could be faulty, replace the card or the memory on the card.:p

Advertisement