Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with XP user accounts

Options
  • 02-10-2003 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I have created 3 user accounts 2 admin and one limited.
    however the limited account has access to all documents
    even in other users accounts.

the function for make the " mydocuments folder seems to
    be disabled too. Or at least it wont allow me to select
    it.

can anyone help me ?

regards

alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

wrt the first problem...

Is the drive formatted as FAT32? Security doesn't kick in unless the drive is NTFS. You might need to mess around with the "Sharing" options in properties for the My Documents folders for the non-limited accounts as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

how do I knwo how the drive is formatted ?

I have tried to make my, mydocuments folder private and i am the administrator so my account is non limited

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Alany
    how do I knwo how the drive is formatted ?
    Right-click on the drive, click Properties. The file system in use will be listed on the General tab next to "File System"

ok, so Im using FAT32 and not Im told that the conversion from FAT32 to NTFS is not available...grrrrrrr:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You can use the CONVERT /FS:NTFS /V /X d: program to make a ONE TIME CHANGE IN CONFIGURATION (don't you love the way windows don't let you undo so many things) from FAT to NTFS.. But then again anyone with a 720K Dos 5 bootdisk and NTFSDOS can still read everything (yes there is encryption - but have you ever heard of double space or drive space)

However, a lot can depend on HOME vs. PRO
    Home has some security stuff disabled (and different user settings) - couldn't be arsed learning the artificial differances imposed by their marketing gimps... - Oh - looks like you found them...

• Advertisement

I have XP pro.

Anywho I managed to convert from FAT to NTFS and my security is working now. All I have to do is learn how to set up a VPN now.

Thanks for the help sceptre and capt'n

Advertisement